The cast of Star Trek Beyond, along with Bad Robot, Paramount Pictures and Omaze, will pay it forward with Star Trek: To Boldly Go, an initiative that will result in one lucky Star Trek fan winning a walk-on role in the new Trek adventure and nine global causes, chosen personally by the cast, receiving equal portions of the funds raised by the campaign.
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Karl Urban and Idris Elba also gathered together to record a video message about the Star Trek: To Boldly Go campaign. The spot, recorded on the Enterprise bridge set, aired this morning, and it detailed how each $10 contribution made through the Omaze fundraising platform makes the participant eligible to win the walk-on role.
Here are the 9 causes that will receive equal portions of the funds raised:
- Brave Beginnings, an organization dedicated to ensuring that ventilators and life-saving neonatal equipment are always available to newborns in critical need. Nominated by Zoë Saldana.
- Camp Sunshine, a place where children with life-threatening illnesses and their families can regroup, reenergize, and restore hope for the future. Nominated by Anton Yelchin.
- Direct Relief International, one of the premiere disaster relief organizations that operates worldwide. Nominated by Zachary Quinto.
- Heaven Homes, an organization helping establish children's homes and centers, while providing secure, safe and loving environments where children can be nurtured to realize their full potential. Nominated by Idris Elba.
- KidsCan, an organization that provides food, clothing and healthcare to disadvantaged youth in New Zealand. Nominated by Karl Urban.
- Koreatown Youth & Community Center, an organization serving the evolving needs of the Korean American population in the greater Los Angeles area as well as the multiethnic Koreatown community. Nominated by John Cho.
- Make-A-Wish, whose remarkable work is making wishes come true every day for children suffering from lifethreatening illnesses. Nominated by Chris Pine.
- Time is Precious, an organization helping to create a more comfortable and relaxed atmosphere for children, which in return helps assist with their treatment and recovery. Nominated by Simon Pegg.
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, an organization that is leading the way in advancing cures for childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Nominated by Susan Nimoy in honor of Leonard Nimoy.
In addition, fans who donate set amounts larger than $10 can receive special limited edition Star Trek rewards including t-shirts, posters, a cast-autographed red shirt, an advance private screening of Star Trek Beyond, and a replica Captain’s chair.
Go to Omaze.com/StarTrek to participate.
Follow us for more news at StarTrek.com and via our social media sites.