The anticipation has been building and building for Creation Entertainment’s Official Star Trek Convention, and now it is upon us. Star Trek fans from around the world will gather at the Rio Suites Hotel in Las Vegas from August 6-9 for an extended weekend of fun that will include more than 100 Star Trek celebrities appearing on stage, signing autographs and posing for photo ops; numerous informative, entertaining panels, including many hosted by StarTrek.com; a full Star Trek: Voyager reunion, with all the actors on stage at the same time; a costume contest; concerts; tributes to Leonard Nimoy and Grace Lee Whitney, whom we’ve lost in the past year; and much, much more.
Here’s a look at what’s in store:
100-plus Star Trek celebrities are beaming down for the event. The list includes William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Kate Mulgrew, George Takei, Jeri Ryan, Walter Koenig, Joan Collins, Terry Farrell, John de Lancie, Nana Visitor, Alexander Siddig, Marina Sirtis, Jonathan Frakes, Roxann Dawson, Ethan Phillips, Linda Park, Dominic Keating, Alice Krige, Jeffrey Combs, Brannon Braga, Don Most and Anson Williams, Andrew Robinson, Joseph Gatt and many, many more – including last-minute additions Brent Spiner and LeVar Burton.
Other StarTrek.com Panels will include:
- Engaging Literature within Star Trek (with Amy Imhoff of Shoes & Starships, along with fan expert Claire Little, inviting fans to engage with literature’s role in Star Trek, how it elevates the franchise within our cultural consciousness and brings it beyond just a pop culture phenomenon).
- Star Trek to 50 Years (where John Van Citters will give fans a sneak peek of all that's to come in the upcoming year).
- Beyond the Cover (with authors Paula M. Block and Terry J. Erdmann, Scott Tipton and Robb Pearlmann sharing insights on the inspirations for and development of their past and upcoming books, including The Autobiography of James T. Kirk, The Wit and Wisdom of Star Trek and Star Trek: Costumes).
- Beaming In: Are You… Captain Kirk? (with David A. Goodman, author of The Autobiography of James T. Kirk, ready to be impressed as fans cosplay Kirk and read a few excerpts from the book. Oh, and a special guest may beam in to greet the winner!).
- The Journey to Restoring the Enterprise (with Michael Okuda, Denise Okuda, Rick Sternbach, Adam Schneider, John Van Citters and National Air and Space Museum curator Margaret Weitekamp providing an inside look at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum’s current restoration of the original U.S.S. Enterprise 11-foot filming model).
- To Boldly Go... Behind the Comics (with Mike Johnson, Scott Tipton, J.K. Woodward and Ryan Parrott, as well as IDW’s Star Trek comics editor, Sarah Gaydos, discussing current and future Star Trek comics plans, as well as their respective approaches to Star Trek storytelling. Adding to the fun, the first 150 people attending the panel will receive gift bags with IDW comic book goodies. StarTrek.com and IDW will also provide additional giveaways during panel, including signed books. And check out the grand prize: one lucky fan will be drawn as a character into an upcoming installment of IDW's Star Trek ongoing comic series written by Mike Johnson and drawn by Tony Shasteen.
- Putting the Galaxy in your Pocket: A Look at Star Trek Timelines, (with the Disruptor Beam team on stage to show fans what they can look forward to, provide an update on development, and answer fan questions).
- Star Trek Online: The Digital Voyage (with STO's elite team of developers taking fans on a journey through the inspiration, creation and implementation of the Star Trek universe from a classic series to a masterful, digital experience. And fans should expect a visit from a special Trek guest).
And there are two more: A Star Trek Craft Workshop (with Mary Czerwinski and Connor Bright, hosts of Glue Guns and Phasers, leading a step-by-step tutorial on how to make your own Star Trek keepsake… a Star Trek keychain); and Voyager’s Impact on Female Roles (with Mary Czerwinski, “The Televixen,” and her team of fan girls discussing how the groundbreaking female characters of Star Trek: Voyager influence modern female characters).
Professor John Tenuto, a Trek expert and frequent StarTrek.com guest blogger, will host four panels across the weekend. They’ll include The Making of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Star Trek Through Newspapers, To The Journey: A History of Star Trek: Voyager and Collectibles of Star Trek: Voyager.
The full Nevada Pops Orchestra will perform music from various Star Trek movies and series. Making the evening even more special, fans can expect to hear James Darren perform several Vic Fontaine songs accompanied by the Pops. And it gets even better: composer Dennis McCarthy will guest conduct portions of the evening’s festivities. And let’s not forget The Star Trek Rat Pack, which will close out the 2015 event. Once again, lyricist/producer Max Grodenchik will lead the pack, which also includes Armin Shimerman, Vaughn Armstrong, Jeffrey Combs and Casey Biggs, with Bill Burchell providing musical accompaniment. And, we should add, Sci-Fried will serve as the house band, adding magic and music to each day’s programming.
Creation’s Gary Berman will, as always, host several auctions throughout the weekend, with fans bidding on all sorts of Trek and sci-fi memorabilia. Also, Propworx will return to the Rio for the 2015 Official Convention, displaying dozens of Star Trek costumes, props and screen-used and/or behind-the-scenes items for three days and then auctioning off the goods live and online on Sunday.
PARTIES AND GAMES
Even when the festivities on the stages and in the dealers room end each day, the fun goes on deep into the night. As always there will be The Borg “Resistance Is Futile” Bingo Party.” And, of course, Gold and Captain’s Chair patrons can enjoy two catered parties up on the 50th floor in the Rio’s Voodoo Lounge. Plus, there are Karaoke Nights.