- Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
- Star Trek Generations
An Excelsior-class, Federation starship, the Potemkin's registry number is NCC-18253.
In 2361, the Potemkin was the last Federation starship to make contact with the failed colony on planet Turkana IV (prior to the Enterprise-D's visit in 2367). Potemkin personnel were warned by the colony's ruling cadres that anyone transporting to the colony would be killed.
In 2361, William T. Riker joined the Potemkin crew as a lieutenant. During his tenure on this ship, Riker led an away team to evacuate the science outpost on Nervala IV because of a dangerous energy distortion field covering the planet. It was not realized at the time that this distortion field caused the Potemkin's transporter to malfunction, materializing a duplicate Riker on the planet's surface.
The Potemkin left orbit, unknowingly abandoning the duplicate Riker, Thomas Riker, for eight years. The original Riker was promoted to lieutenant commander after this rescue mission.
It was also on the Potemkin that Riker tried an unconventional tactic of positioning the ship over a planet's magnetic pole and shutting down the power, in order to confuse an opponent ship's sensors.
You May LikeGo to the Shop
Related News Articles
- Favorite Star Trek: The Next Generation Classic Quotes
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Dorothy Fontana, Part 2
- Star Trek Jewelry Beaming Into New Zealand And Australia This Month
- New Bing Translator Option Lets You Translate... Klingon
- FIRST LOOK: Star Trek Cross-Stitch
- Poll Says Star Trek's Most Action-packed Series Is...
- Expanded "Best of Both Worlds" Soundtrack CD Available This Month