- Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
- Star Trek Generations
Outrageous Okona, The
- Episode List
- Next Episode
Loud as a Whisper
- Previous Episode
Elementary, Dear Data
Once on board the Enterprise, the handsome, roguish Okona charms the crew — particularly the women — with his quick wit and mischievous manner. Data, however, is unable to understand Okona's jokes and looks to Guinan and the holodeck for lessons in human humor.
Meanwhile, two small interplanetary vessels lock their lasers on the U.S.S. Enterprise, demanding Okona's surrender. First, Debin accuses Okona of getting his daughter, Yanar, pregnant; then Kushell, with his son Benzan at his side, charges the dashing Captain with stealing his nation's prized Jewel of Thesia.
Knowing that releasing Okona to either Debin or Kushell would cause a war between their respective homelands, Picard agrees to help Okona make a fast getaway. However, a discussion with Wesley Crusher convinces Okona to change his mind and turn himself in.
When all of the parties are beamed aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise to discuss the matter, Okona proposes to Yanar, which prompts an outburst from Benzan, who confesses that he fathered Yanar's child and took the jewel to present to the girl as his pledge of marriage. Okona also admits that he's been acting as a go-between for the couple, whose families have been feuding for years. Once everything is out in the open, Yanar agrees to marry her beloved Benzan.
The ordeal resolved, Data returns to the Holodeck to try out some jokes he's learned in front of an audience. After a disappointing attempt, Data reaches the sad conclusion that he is incapable of being funny. But as the crew bids good-bye to Okona, Data is caught off guard by a question from Okona and delivers a response that leaves everyone on the bridge laughing.
Related News Articles
- Meet The Man Behind The Holodeck, Part 2
- Meet The Man Behind The Holodeck, Part 1
- Remembering TNG Guest Star Wendy Hughes, 1952-2014
- Poll Says Favorite Trek Supporting Character Is...
- Star Trek Online Bonus XP Weekend Event
- FIRST LOOK: Star Trek: The Next Generation Trailers
- Patrick Stewart Talks Broadway, New Roles, and More