- Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
- Star Trek Generations
The first friend of James T. Kirk we are introduced to is not Spock, but his Academy classmate and navigator, Gary Mitchell—played by busy actor Gary Lockwood. A mere five years later would bring Lockwood’s role of a lifeitme, as astronaut Frank Poole in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Lockwood, born “John Gary Yurosek” in 1937 in Van Nuys, Calif., was a stunt man before amassing a long resume of over 40 features and 80 TV guest roles. He also played the lead in Gene Roddenberry’s one-year NBC series about the peacetime Marines, The Lieutenant, made the year before the producer brought him back for Star Trek.