- Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
- Star Trek Generations
A space-faring version of a lifeboat, the escape pod is often used in emergency situations, when the crew of a starship (or other vessel) is required to abandon ship.
In 2373, Captain Picard ordered all hands to escape pods when it looked like his ship, the Enterprise-E, would also succomb to a Borg attack. The pods set a course for Gravett Island, where the crew was later picked up once the crisis with the Borg was averted.