- Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
- Star Trek Generations
Engineer aboard the U.S.S. Jenolen at the time it crashed into a Dyson Sphere in 2294. He and Montgomery Scott survived the crash and attempted to keep themselves alive until a rescue ship arrived by suspending themselves in a transporter pattern buffer. The attempt was partially successful — Scott survived for 75 years, but Franklin died when his pattern degraded beyond recovery.