- Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
- Star Trek Generations
Deprival of sleep from the "rapid-eye movement" phase restricts dreaming and causes the loss of concentration and cognitive abilities. Paranoia, hallucinations, and insanity are all common symptoms. While in a Tyken's Rift, the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D crew's REM sleep was disrupted by the telepathic distress signals sent by an alien crew similarly stranded.