- Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
- Star Trek Generations
A portable transceiver device in use by Starfleet crews since the mid-22nd century.
Earlier versions were designed as a hand-held device with a hardware control interface and a flip-up antennae grid/activator, but by the 2340s the communicator functions had been built into the metallic uniform insignia "combadge" worn on the left breast, activated by touch or voice.
Among many uses, communicators serve as locator IDs for gaining a transporter lock on personnel.