Is Holographic Technology a Viable Possibility?

Created by: 22123magic

22123magic

Report this Feb. 22 2014, 5:14 pm

Do you think realistic holodeck technology is really possible? Like, in terms of the holodeck we see in Star Trek?

Also, if so, do you think it's on the technological horizon, or far away?

22123magic's Star Trek Games! Check it out! http://startrekgames.yolasite.com www.startreklogs.tk

Drunkin Druid

Report this Feb. 27 2014, 2:09 pm

miklamar

Report this Feb. 27 2014, 3:25 pm

Although I think the technology for producing hologramic programs will be developed in the near future, it may take decades before all the details have been sorted out--not to mention all the potential legal ramifications.  I think the protectopm protocols might be developed later, making it a bit dangerous at first.

22123magic

Report this Mar. 21 2014, 12:52 pm

J Inkwell

Report this Mar. 21 2014, 3:06 pm

The option I want is not on the poll:

I think it will be around in my lifetime (I'm in my early 20's) but it will likely not be perfected for a very long time. Hell, we havent even perfected TV yet! They keep coming up with new improvements for it, and it's been around for the better part of the last century!

I_am_Sylar

Report this Mar. 23 2014, 3:49 pm

Quote: Drunkin Druid @ Feb. 27 2014, 2:09 pm

>I do t really know. I tend to think virtual worlds somehow interfacing with the human brain more likely. Kind of like the Matrix hopefully without being batteries! That is to say to interface and disconnect with a computer of our own free will.

I was thinking the same thing.

“Power resides where men believe it resides. No more, no less. It’s a trick. A shadow on the wall. And a very small man can cast a very large shadow.” -Lord Varys

J Inkwell

Report this Mar. 23 2014, 6:48 pm

I_am_Sylar

Report this Mar. 23 2014, 6:51 pm

Quote: J Inkwell @ Mar. 23 2014, 6:48 pm

>Whenever I think about experimental tech and theoretical tech, I try to come up with as many "rules" for how it works as I can. When I was thinking about holodecks, I was thinking: if you're on the ship'sholodeck while the ship is at Warp, inside a simulation of a ship, and the simulated ship goes to Warp...what happens?

I might be mistaken, but I don't think you can tell what speed the ship is going at, unless there's some sort of sudden jolt in speed. Again, I could be very mistaken.

J Inkwell

Report this Mar. 23 2014, 6:54 pm

Quote: I_am_Sylar @ Mar. 23 2014, 6:51 pm

Quote: J Inkwell @ Mar. 23 2014, 6:48 pm

There's the inertial dampers, if thats what you mean. But is the holo-ship even technically moving?

I_am_Sylar

Report this Mar. 23 2014, 7:20 pm

Quote: J Inkwell @ Mar. 23 2014, 6:54 pm

Quote: I_am_Sylar @ Mar. 23 2014, 6:51 pm

Quote: J Inkwell @ Mar. 23 2014, 6:48 pm

That's exactly what I meant. I couldn't remember if they were called inertial dampeners in Star Trek.

Anyway, I would say no. There might be some way to imitate movement, but if there are inertial dampeners in a starship, then there wouldn't need to be any simulation for movement.

22123magic

Report this Mar. 24 2014, 10:20 am

The holodeck keeps the person inside "relatively" stationary. Instead, the objects around you move.

J Inkwell

Report this Mar. 24 2014, 11:53 am

K_tigress

Report this Mar. 24 2014, 8:45 pm

Actually if you are a regular watcher of The Daily Planet science show they had a few great examples of experimental projects regarding Holographic technology. So I believe that kind of tech is not to far off but when it does enter the market, only the rich naturally will be able to afford it.

I'm sure you might find some examples online.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. -Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

22123magic

Report this Mar. 25 2014, 2:30 pm

Quote: J Inkwell @ Mar. 24 2014, 11:53 am

>How does it keep you from running into a wall? I've never understood that either

The floor continuously moves to compensate for motion.

J Inkwell

Report this Mar. 25 2014, 5:21 pm

But when 2 people run simultaneously run in separate directions?

Post Reply