Does Mulgrew's Fake Accent Bother Anyone Else?

Utopia Planetia

Report this Feb. 09 2014, 10:55 pm

Does Kate Mulgrew's fake pseudo-UK or something accent annoy anyone else? I find it grating. For me, it represents so much that's loathful about the actress and character -- pretensious, transparent, insecure, and unconvincing.

As a kid, I was always excited by the prospect of a woman star trek captain. Still today, I sometimes think about all the actresses who would make great, compelling star trek leads. Even star trek's own pool of actresses would've made great captains, minus fake accents -- the actresses who played Torres, Seven, Captain Yates, Kira Neryes, even Jadzia Dax and Dr. Crusher would've been better.

Just ranting a bit. Appologies in advance for hurting any Kate Mulgrew fans' feelings.

22123magic

Report this Feb. 10 2014, 5:19 am

I kind of liked the way she spoke, but that's just , me.

22123magic's Star Trek Games! Check it out! http://startrekgames.yolasite.com www.startreklogs.tk

Pooneil

Report this Feb. 10 2014, 8:28 pm

She doesn't have a "fake pseudo-UK or something" accent. She has an American Mid-Atlantic accent. It's also Kate Mulgrew's normal speaking voice, the same one she uses in interviews and other acting roles, and at convention appearances. It's neither fake, pseudo, or UK.

Utopia Planetia

Report this Feb. 11 2014, 4:47 pm

I live in the mid-atlantic. I don't know anyone who talks like her.

I think what's more likely is that, in a quest for clear, precise delivery, she's aquired an 'actor's accent.' You find the same thing with Avery Brooks and countless other actors, especially stage actors. Also newscasters -- their accents have distinct gaits that are closer to other newscasters than the mother tongues in their countries of origin.

Pooneil

Report this Feb. 12 2014, 4:37 pm

Utopia Planetia

Report this Feb. 15 2014, 10:05 pm

Quote: Pooneil @ Feb. 12 2014, 4:37 pm

>I've read similar observations from people who thought that Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher) was British or Irish, so I tend to assume that lots of people are just totally clueless about what "UK accents" sound like. (Although the first time I heard a Boston accent I thought I'd fallen through some sort of wormhole into a bizarre alternate universe where the standard rules of language didn't apply). Kate Mulgrew, whether or not she affects an "actor's accent" -- especially prevalent on Star Trek -- sounds 100% American to me.

>I think Trek in general just requires its actors to deliver their lines precisely and in a certain hyperreal manner. It can sound forced or fake, depending on how good the actor is. It's amazing that Patrick Stewart, for example, could perform in that stylized, theatrical way and still manage to sound vaguely natural.

Have you seen that interview where Mulgrew says delivering star trek lines is like doing Shakespear? I think it may be in William Shatner's captains interview special from 2 or 3 years ago. Mulgrew wasn't very specific, but she seemed to be saying she thought the trek language was very stylized, and I had strong sense that the technospeak was a major contributor to the challenge for her. So it's interesting you mention Stewart, because to hear Mulgrew tell it, star trek scripts are natural fits for Shakespear actors.

I tried reading aloud a few technospeak lines from a star trek script after hearing Mulgrew's remark -- and she's right, it indeed does not roll off the tongue.

pendaws

Report this Feb. 16 2014, 8:41 pm

Fake Accent? So, her American accent is a fake American accent? get over it.

Utopia Planetia

Report this Feb. 17 2014, 1:01 pm

Quote: pendaws @ Feb. 16 2014, 8:41 pm

>Fake Accent? So, her American accent is a fake American accent? get over it.

I'm sorry for hurting your feelings, Pendaws.

Admiral Edridge