There's something wrong with me...

AudridDax706

Report this Dec. 11 2013, 7:12 pm

I was introduced to Star Trek when I was about 10 years old. I was having a rough time in school and TNG was a huge help for me. Every night before bed I'd watch an episode, (2 if I was lucky) and be totally enthralled. Everything about the show captivated me. I couldn't get enough of it. Well, after a while I'd seen all of the episodes through and through about 4 times. I moved on. I watched my first episode of Star Trek Voyager on my computer on a breezy fall day. Then I watched the rest of season one on my computer on that same breezy fall day. Needless to say, Voyager became my favorite series. After that I watched both Enterprise and Deep Space Nine in sort of a mix. I wasn't really interested in either. After almost a year without anything truly interesting, I stumbled upon Doctor Who on Netflix. It was Christmas, and I was sick. I fell in LOVE with the show! All of the mysterious arching storylines spoiled me to the point where watching Star Trek again just isn't fun. Now I can't tell if I'm bored by Star Trek because I've seen all of the episodes or if Doctor Who has ruined me. My little nerd mind is so conflicted. I want to watch Star Trek, but I can't! What do you think?

"How many times do I have to tell you, Madam? I'm a Doctor, not a bartender." -The Doctor, Twisted

vulcantaylor

Report this Dec. 16 2013, 2:14 pm

TravisMalcolm

Report this Dec. 16 2013, 6:22 pm

Just 'cause you did not mention TOS, have you watched the original series? My signature says it all about Rodenberry's first go at this genre.

Blalock & Nimoy were the best two actors in the Star Trek universe. Go Vulcans!

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 29 2013, 1:28 am

Welcome to the brilliant world of Science Fiction. You can like many things.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

miklamar

Report this Dec. 29 2013, 4:33 am

I could never get into Dr. Who, because it seemed so silly.  But, I guess that's because it's British eccentric humor.

jaymichael

Report this Jan. 01 2014, 2:05 pm

Quote: vulcantaylor @ Dec. 16 2013, 2:14 pm

>It is OK to like both Dr. Who and Star Trek.  Dr. Who can make funny comments in a crisis and use fanciful plot devices that Star Trek could never get away with, since Star Trek is more realistic.  You should try Enterprise again from beginning to end, it is really better than ratings reflected.  Also watch new Battlestar Galactica from beginning to end.  It is a darker show but really exciting.  Do not watch Star Trek, Dr. Who and Battlestar Galactica on the same day because it is too hard switching between those universes with their different tone.  If you have to, you can even watch shows like Duck Dynasty or Kardashians but please DVR them and skip over commercials so you do not increase their ratings.

BSG is great stuff! Ron D Moore is a legend.

Trau

Report this Jan. 02 2014, 7:13 am

There is nothing wrong with loving them bouth, bouth are great, but while Star Trek is Dormant or Dead, Who is feeding your interest on a fairly regular basis.
Doctor Who is in a possition to come up with new stuff every few months, Star Trek is not.
If you leave a series to grow cold people will notice new things, the core fans can become discouraged and leave and in all probability the new audience will not commit as much as the old fans did.
Star Trek is im afraid in trouble.

"Savour the fruit of life my young friends, it has a sweet taste when it is fresh from the vine, but don't live too long - the taste becomes bitter after a time " DaHar master Kor 'Star Trek Deep Space Nine : Once More Onto The Breach'

Post Reply

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra