Should We Remake Mars in Earth's Image?

dryson

Report this Oct. 28 2013, 2:10 pm

We will eventually have the technology to make Mars a more habitable planet — but for whom? Earthlings, or Martians?

By definition, Mars terraforming would make it more Earth-like. Alternatively, "Mars renovation" would seek to resuscitate any native life that might have survived in environmental niches for billions of years. Astrobiologist Chris McKay, of NASA’s Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., favors a non-geocentric term: "planetary ecosynthesis," for establishing a robust biosphere on a planet’s surface.

Why the hell should we renovate Mars for Martian life? Humans are by nature conquerors. We have conquered the Earth and so shall we conquer Mars for the human race. If during the process of renovation Martian life should come back into being then will have to master such life in order to maintain Earth as a dominant force in the Sol System. Renovating Mars will create many new processes, jobs, medical and manufacturing processes that will advance the human species in spreading the seed of humanity into space.

TravisMalcolm

Report this Oct. 29 2013, 5:20 pm

I like the second suggestion, "Mars renovation" far better. If u want to put the question in Star Trek terms, think of the Prime Directive. No need to mess with the natural evolution of a planet beyond doing our upmost to encourage the growth of the nataurally occuring life.

Blalock & Nimoy were the best two actors in the Star Trek universe. Go Vulcans!

dryson

Report this Nov. 02 2013, 2:26 pm

If by some chance because of the Renovation Project that would promote the habitization of Mars for human use that Martian life forms should develop the Prime Directive would still not be violated because on any planet where there is a chance for life to exist where the habitization of the planet is manufactured where the life is non sentient but merely microbial there is no chance for the natural evolutionary process of the life to be effected.

Now if there were Sentient Martian lifeforms found deep within the planet where humans sought to enslave the populace that would be a direct violation of the Prime Directive.

A bullfrog with a light in its belly is nothing more than a glutton looking to shine otherwise.

TravisMalcolm

Report this Nov. 03 2013, 4:04 pm

dryson, this is from "Silent enmey" (ENT):

ARCHER: (referring to crater pocked asteroid on viewscreen) You're sure there's nothing down there?
T'POL: Yes, Captain.
ARCHER: Not even a microbe? I don't want to blow up something that could evolve into a sentient species in a couple of billion years.
T'POL: There's nothing there.

Link to transcript

Link to video

I think this is motivated by the Prime Directive. More than that (in Enterprise) T'Pol stresses the importance of "non interference."

Blalock & Nimoy were the best two actors in the Star Trek universe. Go Vulcans!

Sehlat123

Report this Nov. 03 2013, 4:30 pm

If there were even semi-intelligent life forms on Mars able to live in the current climate, then I don't think we should mess with them. By this, I mean anything from a squirrel up. But things like microbes can adapt to anything.

I don't think we should renovate Mars just to say we conqured it. But in the future, I think we should inhabit it, and to do that we should make it earth-like.

"Borg. Sounds Swedish."

W. T. Riker

Report this Nov. 04 2013, 4:40 pm

I don't think that there's really anything to conquer. I mean, there's some fossils, but as far as I know, nothing living (as far as I ,personally, know. If you know of anything, feel free to correct me). As the dominant species in the solar system, we have every right to terraform it, as long as we don't screw it up like we did here. I am reminded of Calvin and Hobbes' trip to Mars...

dryson

Report this Nov. 10 2013, 2:06 pm

Does your mom know that you can shoot lasers out of your eyes?

If there are fossils then there has been some form of evolved life on the planet.

Terraforming a planet would in fact produce new procedures that we could use on Earth to reduce the effect of what we have done to Earth because of our limited knowlege of how nature works.

vulcantaylor

Report this Dec. 13 2013, 8:25 am

William Shatner narrated the excellent series "Mars Rising", which tells how incredibly difficult it would be getting to Mars and living there. There are short clips at http://science.discovery.com/video-topics/space-videos/mars-rising.htm

When Mars lost its magnetic field, most of its atmosphere was lost due to solar radiation. That would happen again if we tried to restore the Mars biosphere for any type of life. Encasing Mars in a protective shell has its own problems--getting all the material, the energy to light and heat the whole planet, meteorites damaging the shell. And we can't wait 10,000 years to form a new atmosphere.

We really need some Star Trek technology. Plentiful energy, shields from radiation, replicators, warp drive for rapid rescue. Unfortunately most of that technology is ruled out by known physics. But there is encouraging progress towards new physics which might offer a loophole. I have a blog at http://www.facebook.com/VulcanTaylorShirt to track the progress. It is not about Star Trek but about one step to getting there.

miklamar

Report this Dec. 13 2013, 10:50 am

I think we could colonize Mars without necessarily terraforming it.  Hopefully, we wouldn't destroy any existing life.  If we should find some, it would certainly be educational.  But, I don't think all planets need to look like Earth.

Why didn't Starfleet or the Federation terraform the Moon (Luna)?  It seems OK to leave things as we find them, around the galaxy.  More diversity, I think.