ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

special compass

miklamar

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2161

Report this Oct. 20 2013, 4:16 am

I just read about a special compass--probably made in the 1940s--that reads polarized light and orients itself to that, rather than toward magnetic field lines.  That would be pretty good for starships!


Var Miklama--Zakdorn, engineer. "A sound mind in a FULL body!" "Time, like latinum, is a limited quantity in the galaxy."

EmpokNorStationManager

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2034

Report this Oct. 21 2013, 7:38 am

Probably wouldn't have much application here on earth, which is why it never took off...  unless I'm not understanding the concept well enough....  however in space I could see this as the quintesential piece of navigational equipment....  


That is all.... Empok Nor Station Manager

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46314

Report this Oct. 21 2013, 11:52 am

Only useful in starships if it tells where Galactic North is.

EmpokNorStationManager

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2034

Report this Oct. 21 2013, 12:20 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Oct. 21 2013, 11:52 am

>Only useful in starships if it tells where Galactic North is.


I'm trademarking the name "astrogator" as we speak....  


That is all.... Empok Nor Station Manager

dryson

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 749

Report this Oct. 21 2013, 1:10 pm

You must be speaking of the HYMENOPTERAN SKYLIGHT COMPASS.


http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.129.8767&rep=rep1&type=pdf


Awesome find Chocolate Milk.


If insects such as bees and ants are able to see this special pattern of light then perhaps the method of how the bee or ant analyzes the celestrial polarization patterns of light then we may be able to discover the Dark Matter / Dark Energy String Matrix of the Universe.


Since we know that Dark Matter / Dark Energy is there yet we do not have any methods to see it we should look to the insect kingdom for help since the bee and any are specialized in being able to detect polarized light then perhaps by understanding how they see the polarized light will yield new technology that will allow us to see farther into our own Universe.


 


A bullfrog with a light in its belly is nothing more than a glutton looking to shine otherwise.

EmpokNorStationManager

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2034

Report this Oct. 21 2013, 7:32 pm

Quote: dryson @ Oct. 21 2013, 1:10 pm

>If insects such as bees and ants are able to see this special pattern of light then perhaps the method of how the bee or ant analyzes the celestrial polarization patterns of light then we may be able to discover the Dark Matter / Dark Energy String Matrix of the Universe.

>Since we know that Dark Matter / Dark Energy is there yet we do not have any methods to see it we should look to the insect kingdom for help since the bee and any are specialized in being able to detect polarized light then perhaps by understanding how they see the polarized light will yield new technology that will allow us to see farther into our own Universe.


It's clear you have more knowledge of physics in your pinky than my entire brain....  however I'm not sure I'm seeing the link between the ability to percieve different phases of polarized light, and the ability to detect and quantify dark energy or dark matter?  


That is all.... Empok Nor Station Manager

dryson

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 749

Report this Oct. 23 2013, 2:01 pm

Here are a whole bunch of links relating Polarization - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization


Since Dark Matter or Dark Energy is thought to have some type of Electromagnetism as part of its properties then a bee or an ant might be able to detect Dark Matter because of how these two insects are able to detect polarized light which it would seem that all forms of polarization involve some type of electromagnetic wave length.


A bullfrog with a light in its belly is nothing more than a glutton looking to shine otherwise.

EmpokNorStationManager

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2034

Report this Oct. 23 2013, 7:45 pm

Quote: dryson @ Oct. 23 2013, 2:01 pm

>

>Here are a whole bunch of links relating Polarization - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization

>Since Dark Matter or Dark Energy is thought to have some type of Electromagnetism as part of its properties then a bee or an ant might be able to detect Dark Matter because of how these two insects are able to detect polarized light which it would seem that all forms of polarization involve some type of electromagnetic wave length.

>


Maybe we should be mounting bee hives to the front of our next reusable space vehicle...    sorry, had to go there...  


That is all.... Empok Nor Station Manager

dryson

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 749

Report this Oct. 24 2013, 3:09 pm

I kinda figured that you would Empok....funny thought to be honest but your idea does have some merit to it actually. If a craft was designed based upon the eyes of the ant or bee where the central processor or the brain of the craft would intepret what it sees the same way that a bee or ant sees the polarized light then perhaps we might have a new view of the Universe around us.


Maybe using the Ant Bee Craft we might even be able to find the Strings of energy associated with the String Theory.


A bullfrog with a light in its belly is nothing more than a glutton looking to shine otherwise.

miklamar

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2161

Report this Oct. 25 2013, 4:12 pm

dryson said:


 


You must be speaking of the HYMENOPTERAN SKYLIGHT COMPASS.



 


http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.129.8767&rep=rep1&type=pdf



 


Awesome find Chocolate Milk.



 


If insects such as bees and ants are able to see this special pattern of light then perhaps the method of how the bee or ant analyzes the celestrial polarization patterns of light then we may be able to discover the Dark Matter / Dark Energy String Matrix of the Universe.



 


Since we know that Dark Matter / Dark Energy is there yet we do not have any methods to see it we should look to the insect kingdom for help since the bee and any are specialized in being able to detect polarized light then perhaps by understanding how they see the polarized light will yield new technology that will allow us to see farther into our own Universe.


 


 


Perhaps that is how the Swarm, whom Voyager encountered, navigated!


 


http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Swarm_species


 


Var Miklama--Zakdorn, engineer. "A sound mind in a FULL body!" "Time, like latinum, is a limited quantity in the galaxy."

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum