Who named the Dominion.

SenatorVreenak

Report this Oct. 15 2013, 9:25 pm

I have recently began watching DS9 episodes back to back. I couldnt help but wonder if the dominion were named after the dominion/hashmallim angels in the bible these angels are the highest ranking angels in the second sphere of the angelic order. Is there any information out there in regards to the naming of the dominion. There seems to be alot of parallels between the star trek dominion And the biblical dominion.

miklamar

Report this Oct. 17 2013, 3:31 pm

EmpokNorStationManager

POSTS: 2034

Report this Oct. 18 2013, 6:17 am

Quote: SenatorVreenak @ Oct. 15 2013, 9:25 pm

>...I couldnt help but wonder if the dominion were named after the dominion/hashmallim angels in the bible these angels are the highest ranking angels in the second sphere of the angelic order... There seems to be alot of parallels between the star trek dominion And the biblical dominion.

I've never heard of that type of relationship being investigated...  certainly worth a look see.

That is all.... Empok Nor Station Manager

Anime Odo

Report this Nov. 06 2013, 8:49 pm

Oh I thought that you meant who named the Dominion the Dominion. like why do the leaders of such a powerful force need a name?

"I don't believe in luck, but I appreciate the sentiment." - Odo

EmpokNorStationManager

POSTS: 2034

Report this Nov. 13 2013, 7:46 am

Quote: miklamar @ Oct. 17 2013, 3:31 pm

>I can't find any information about where the name came from, but the Founders exerted control over the various races they had conquered, giving them dominion over them.

I don't remember any specific reference on the origins of the name, but I've been known to miss things before.  That being said, the Dominion is 1000's of years old is it not?  Perhaps the original naming logic has been lost to time within the ST universe?

That is all.... Empok Nor Station Manager

OtakuJo

Report this Nov. 15 2013, 11:42 pm

A "dominion" is a region -- usually acquired through expansion -- which is under the control of a ruler (or ruling nation). What in Latin would be regnum (kingdom) or imperium (empire).

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Users browsing this forum: JOYOFVGR