City on the edge of forever

TheSpecialist

Report this Oct. 04 2013, 11:33 am

I watched an occasional rerun of tos in the 70's and 80's as a kid, never cared for it as it was probably over my head. But I have always liked sci fi, played a ton of video games and been generally nerdy I guess. Seeing all of the series available on netflix, and my recent foray into Star Trek online I decided I would start watching it. Over the last few months I have watched about 80 next gen eps, 25 tos and all the movies aside from nemesis.

I searched the web for recommended viewing to help me find a place to start and on countless top lists I noticed city on the edge of forever was widely loved. I don't get it. The time machine/being on the planet was really amateur looking and horribly voiced almost cringe worthy. I thought Bones's performance was over the top and not good. And more importantly the handling of time travel did not work. For instance after McCoy goes through the portal the enterprise immediately vanishes from existence. The explanation that he has somehow changed the course of history makes for a cool story but they never bothered to explain how Kirk and crew ended up on this planet in this new timeline. I mean no enterprise so how did they get there? Walked? And no enterprise but Spock still has his tricorder and they are all in starfleet uniforms. The story made no sense for me but I did love seeing Spock and Kirk in the depression era setting and thought shatner and Joan Collins were really good.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Oct. 04 2013, 12:09 pm

I've always understood it that those on the planet were protected from the ripples/changes in time - much like the Enterprise E was in First Contact when the Borg assimilated Earth.

As for why so many people like it.. I've found that many of the most beloved episodes aren't really about technology, but about relationships and major life changes/loves.  Much like TNG: The Inner Light or DS9: Far Beyond the Stars.

TheSpecialist

Report this Oct. 04 2013, 2:37 pm

didn't catch that explanation of the time travel plot hole when I watched it but that's cool i will watch it more closely the next time. And I also loved inner light, brilliant show and my favorite of tng so far.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Oct. 04 2013, 6:11 pm

I'm not sure it was explicitly said in the TOS episode.

Sehlat123

Report this Oct. 04 2013, 9:27 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Oct. 04 2013, 6:11 pm

>I'm not sure it was explicitly said in the TOS episode.

The Enterprise was gone, so it apparently wiped that out of the timeline. I figured it was their proximity to the gate that kept them from dissapearing too. I don't think it ever said, though.

"Borg. Sounds Swedish."

TravisMalcolm

Report this Oct. 10 2013, 5:25 pm

w/out the crew the episode would have been very different. It was a neccessary choice to keep them alive.

Blalock & Nimoy were the best two actors in the Star Trek universe. Go Vulcans!

moonbeam6612

Report this Oct. 13 2013, 5:34 am

I just watched this today in my TOS Marathon.  (I've also been wtching Star Trek for the past two or three months but I'm doing it chronologically, which I sort of recommend. I mean I'm watching three series, but all of the episodes within the series in the right order.)

I didn't really ask myself why the crew was still there in their Starfleet uniforms and with their tricorders, I never catch plotholes like that. I guess my mind just goes with "that's how it is". I mean when you think about those kind of things too much, you realize that it's often the plotholes that make the story possible. For me, the story, the characters and their relationships are in the foreground, so that approach (not asking too many questions about how or why!) works for me.

I like this episode a lot. But I would not recommend single episodes to anyone because personal tastes are just too different. I believe in watching it chronologically. I find its easier to get into this way. You build more attachment to the characters and the stories.

2takesfrakes

Report this Oct. 13 2013, 6:50 pm

The biggest problem with weekly television,
science fiction, especially, is that these
scripts have to be rushed, because of how
long it takes for the effects and whatever.

As I understand it, Harlan Ellison,
who originally wrote the script for
this show, had other intentions than
what eventually ended up being shown.

It was much darker, for one thing ...

EmpokNorStationManager

POSTS: 2034

Report this Oct. 18 2013, 7:31 am

Quote: 2takesfrakes @ Oct. 13 2013, 6:50 pm

>As I understand it, Harlan Ellison,
who originally wrote the script for
this show, had other intentions than
what eventually ended up being shown.

>It was much darker, for one thing ...

Don't leave us hanging 2takes...  I'll take the bait - what WAS Harlan's original intent for the episode??

That is all.... Empok Nor Station Manager

2takesfrakes

Report this Oct. 19 2013, 6:44 am

Ellison's original work included a
subplot involving drug dealing aboard
the Enterprise, and other elements
that Roddenberry rejected. Despite
his objections, Ellison kept his
name on the shooting script.

theOneandOnlyAlphaJohn

Report this Nov. 25 2013, 8:41 pm

As classic/awesome as classic/awesome gets.

enhancesys

Report this Nov. 26 2013, 5:58 pm

Specialist,

I concur with the posts you are seeing about City on the Edge of Forever.  To me, it is the greatest STar Trek epidoe of all-time.  I don't even consider any other episodes as possibly better (though many are great as well).  What's funny is I'm not a big fan of time travel episodes.  Most are done poorly.  However, a neat twist can make them special.  My top 3 Star Trek episodes of all-time are City, Inner Light and The Visitor from DS9.  My top-10 are...

1 - City on the Edge of Forever

2 - Inner Light

3 - The Visitor

4 - The Best of Both Worlds (TNG)

5 - Carbon Creek (ENT)  also a time travel episode with a twist

6 - Balance of Terror (TOS)

7 - All Good Things (TNG)  time travel with a twist

8 - The Expanse (ENT)  kicks off season 3 for Enterprise which is EPIC...story arc for a whole season

9 - Yesterdays Enterprise (TNG)

10 - Siege at AR-558 (DS9)

Other great episodes are Year of Hell 1 and 2 (VOY), Space Seed (TOS), Doomsday Machine (TOS) and In a Mirror, Darkly (ENT).  I also like first contact episodes like First Contact (TNG), Who Watches the Watchers (TNG), Masterpiece Society (TNG) and Civilization (ENT).

I recommend watching everything chronologically.  About 2 years ago I did threads on the DS9 and VOY boards called "Seeing DS9 for the first time" and same for Voyager.  I reviewed each episode and everyone jumped in with their opinions.

Jim