The Whitney-Roddenberry Connection

Space Marshal

Report this Sep. 12 2013, 8:40 am

After reading Grace Lee Whitney's autobio, I had a hunch the one who violated her was Gene Roddenberry himself. I subsequently abandoned the idea mostly because of how well she spoke of him in the latter part of the book.  Since I had always wondered about who was the perpetrator and was always curious about knowing, yesterday, coincidentally or not with receiving my copy of Inside ST, I thought I would check the Internet to see if I could find more information. What I found out was that other people thought the same thing I had.  This on the Trek BBS,  this site, and NitCentral.PhilFarrand.Com. I hadn't read that page yet, but 1 of the comments said that Roddenberry was into polished stones n cited the page (73). This was really the clincher for me.

The evidence can be summed up as follows:

1. she identifies the perpetrator as a womanizer; Roddenberry was  a womanizer
2. the perpetrator was alcoholic; so was  Roddenberry
3. she had known the perpetrator since a "couple of years" n  trusted him; she had known Roddenberry since The Lieutenant in '63-'64.
4. Roddenberry was the executive producer n headed Norway Corp.
5. "The Executive had me removed from Star Trek because he didn't want to be reminded of what he did to me  that night." although this is not her final conclusion, it means he was very present in the production, n a network executive wouldn't be, n  nowhere does she say  that he was a network executive
6. it would be awkward at best identifying him as the perpetrator since he was the Great Bird of the Galaxy, n that's probably the principal reason she never named him
7. years later there was talk of a rift between her n Roddenberry just prior to her firing (Inside ST, p. 243-44)
8. he gave her a polished stone n he was into such a hobby (Inside ST, p. 73)

9. she says the perpetrator can't hurt her anymore, which probably means he's deceased, n Roddenberry deceased 7 years before her book came out.

Desi Arnaz was also an alcoholic n a womanizer, n she mentions that he was the biggest womanizer you ever met, was all over her, n she was always fending him off, but that was in the early '60s, n he was out of the picture by '66 n wasn't into polished stones. Herbert Solow was executive in charge of production at the time but wasn't a womanizer or alcoholic n wasn't into polished stones either n she hadn't known him before that.

That she spoke so well of Roddenberry in the latter part of the book  might be considered as indicating that it wasn't him, but she had forgiven him n had made her peace with him.

A review of her book says that she never named him, but she leaves many clues. It's only a few clues, but I don't know if she did it on purpose.

It is a shocking realization, but I had a hunch at 1st like  I said so it comes as no surprise. I should have stayed with my hunch.

We will not cease from exploration, And the end of our exploring Will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the 1st time. T.S. Eliot, The Gidding

2takesfrakes

Report this Sep. 12 2013, 3:10 pm

... How dare you! You who consort with haters,
invoke Grace Lee Whitney's book to support your
insidious arguments. It is an offense to everything
I hold dear. And to read those words used to subvert
the Roddenberry Legacy!

Rod's father was a great man! His name stands for
integrity and principle. You dirty his name when
you speak it! He loved the franchise. But you, sir,
corrupt it. You undermine our very fandom.

I will expose you for what you are ...
I've brought down bigger men than you,
Space Marshal!!!

Space Marshal

Report this Sep. 13 2013, 10:20 am

2takesfrakes,

You are in very serious violation of forum guidelines n bring opprobrium onto ST. I imagine you sent the same message of hate to Herb Solow n Robert Justman. Neither Miss Whitney nor Gene Roddenberry nor anyone else for that matter would approve of your reaction. Spock would say it's illogical to be in denial n that we shouldn't let emotion cloud our judgement n he'd be right. And I'm sure Roddenberry apologized for his act, not just for allowing her to be fired. And I won't be reading any more of your messages.

2takesfrakes

Report this Sep. 13 2013, 5:01 pm

Actually, I was just quoting (with small alterations) a very
awesome Next Generation episode entitled: DRUMHEAD ...

"How dare you! You who consort with Romulans, invoke
my father's name to support your traitorous arguments?
It is an offense to everything I hold dear! And to hear
those words used to subvert the United Federation of Planets!

My father was a great man!
His name stands for integrity and principle!
You DIRTY his name when you speak it! He loved the Federation!
But you, Captain, corrupt it! You undermine our very way of life!

I will expose you for what you are!
I've brought down bigger men than you, Picard!!"

-- Admiral Satie speaking to Captain Picard

Space Marshal

Report this Sep. 16 2013, 6:30 am

mkors3

Report this Sep. 25 2013, 3:38 pm

Quote: Space Marshal @ Sep. 16 2013, 6:30 am

> >I didn't read your 2nd message, but I should add you can't take on the whole bunch of us, I'm not the only one like I said before, n you wouldn't be able to get away with your demented message on other forums. This forum is badly run and badly organized.  Also, it is a criminal message and you could be charged.

Demented message? Maybe you should have read the second posting since you obviously are not very well versed on Trek. It was just a reworded quote from TNG.

Criminal? What is criminal is your post, full of libelous accusations against the Great Bird of the Galaxy. YOU could be charged. Maybe someone should forward this to the Roddenberry family and the authorities.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Oct. 05 2013, 11:03 am

Quote: Space Marshal @ Sep. 16 2013, 6:30 am

that guy was joking with you by posting a re-write of dialog from a tng episode.

you need to slow down and read every post more carfully..............

dude, you really sound redicolous.

Photobucket