Your favorite Star Trek episode

TravisMalcolm

Report this Sep. 05 2013, 8:07 am

Finished watching "Babel One". "United", & "The Aenar" (Enterprise Season 4)  and was very impressed. The three make up a story-arch & they deal with questions we struggle with today. How to honor the other's cultural heritage and norms, dealing with a personal/romantic relationship, & what risks are worth taking in the name of science or, more to the point vis-a-vis thesse 3 episodes, what risks are worth taking for the sake of defending one's life, and the life of one's fellows. These were the major themes of the story-arch.

While "All our Yesterdays", and "The City on the Edge of Forever" are my 2 favorite single ST episodes, the above three episodes comprise my favorite story-arch.

Blalock & Nimoy were the best two actors in the Star Trek universe. Go Vulcans!

2takesfrakes

Report this Sep. 05 2013, 5:03 pm

Oh, I have too many TNG favourites
to list them all, but for now, I'll say:
"Ensign Ro" and "Measure of a Man"

JoCat

Report this Sep. 05 2013, 9:17 pm

I liked Tomorrow is Yesterday from the original series., Time's Arrow from TNG,  and Future's End from Voyager, And so far Broken Bow from the ENT series. I am in the middle of re-watching those. And I think it's called Way of the Warrior on DS9 when Worf comes to the station.

OtakuJo

Report this Sep. 06 2013, 2:42 am

Good question. I like "Inquisition" from the sixth season of DS9, which is the episode that first introduces Sloan and Section 31. Of course 31 has become such an integral part of the Star Trek universe since then, it's a little weird to think that this episode started it all. Aside from that I do like the idea of a black-ops organisation within the Federation, Bashir is my favourite character, the interplay between him and Sloan is interesting to watch, and from a storytelling perspective I also like how the tension increases incrementally throughout.

Mind you, those episodes mentioned so far in this thread are also quite good.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Sora

Report this Sep. 06 2013, 6:29 am

Year of Hell parts 1 and 2 from Voyager is my all time favorite episode of Star Trek.

Scathtiar

Report this Sep. 06 2013, 11:29 am

ooohh this is a hard one just off the top of my head, ... from TOS - might not be considered the best, but i quite liked the doomsday machine, TNG tin man was a memorable ep for me.

4_Cardassia

Report this Sep. 06 2013, 11:53 am

I honestly believe that the majority of Star Trek's most gripping, memorable, and thought-provoking episodes have come from Deep Space Nine. That does not mean I am unappreciative of the ground work laid by its predecessors. In fact, I became a Star Trek fan through The Original Series and later The Next Generation. However, DS9 has the record for most masterfully written, acted, and produced hours in the franchise. Here is my personal list of top 10 Star Trek episodes:

1) Tacking Into the Wind (DS9): It amazes me that this episode gets so little recognition. Perhaps it's because "Tacking" gets buried beneath the rest of the Final Chapter arc. Regardless, this is DS9 at its finest and just so happens to be my favorite episode in the franchise. In only forty-five minutes, this episode manages to capture everything that made this show great. Episode highlights include:

--Damar’s path to redemption. Seeing Damar’s transformation from drunken puppet leader to heroic freedom fighter was one of the most exciting and rewarding storylines the show ever accomplished. Nowhere is this more apparent than in “Tacking Into the Wind,” when Damar is forced to recognize Cardassia’s collective guilt and need to move forward. During the episode’s tension-filled climax, Damar kills the rigid and prejudiced Gul Rusot to protect Kira, symbolically doing away with the old Cardassian ways.

--Kira leading a Cardassian rebellion. This idea was simply a stroke of genius. Bringing Kira over to assist Damar’s Cardassian terrorist operation brings the Bajoran/Cardassian arc full circle. There’s a delicious sense of irony and poetic justice about having the Cardassians be put in the same position as the Bajorans a decade prior.

--Odo and Kira’s touching romance. While I was initially unsure about this relationship when it started back in season six, episodes like “Tacking Into the Wind” prove why Odo and Kira have the purest and most touching romance ever shown in Star Trek. By this point, Nana Visitor has already cemented herself as the best actress to ever grace Star Trek. With “Tacking Into the Wind,” she gives perhaps her best performance yet!

--Ezri’s insightful, yet frank criticism on the state of the Klingon Empire. This is surely Ezri’s finest moment.

And I can go on and on! Everything– visuals, music, acting, dialogue, and mood– seems to come together here. "Tacking Into the Wind" hangs the fates of entire interstellar civilizations precariously in the balance. Yet while the episode is set against an epic struggle for survival, the real drama remains driven by the characters and their relationships with each other.

Upon watching episodes like "Tacking Into the Wind," "The Siege of AR-558," "Chimera," and "The Changing Face of Evil," it amazes me that DS9 was able to go out on such a high note. While its contemporary series chugged along in their final seasons, cranking out one rehashed plot line after another, Deep Space Nine was busy introducing new characters, telling daring new stories, and shaking up the status quo. For anyone that needs a reminder about how great DS9 can be, check this episode out again!

2) In the Pale Moonlight (DS9): One of the most controversial episodes in the franchise, "In the Pale Moonlight" does what Deep Space Nine does best: an intense character study and ethical analysis set against a engrossingly rich and complex political backdrop. Avery Brooks is often criticized for his unique acting style, but I think he conveys Sisko's inner confliction and escalating doubt with near perfection. The sense of foreboding throughout is palpable, especially considering that the outcome will have a lasting impact on the entire Star Trek universe. This episode has an intensity that I just never saw in any of the other Star Trek series.

3) Rocks and Shoals (DS9): Once again, Deep Space Nine demonstrates its own unique brand of Star Trek. Though the Dominion War rages, DS9's writers prove that the show's focus remains on its characters, not on space battles and action sequences. Instead, the recent change in status quo during the Occupation arc is used as a means of further exploring the wonderful cast the series has assembled over the past five seasons. Director Mike Vejar provides his usual distinctive visual style which only adds to the emotional weight of the episode. Two separate stories are intertwined in this piece, both equally fascinating. Kira's descent into Dominion compliance coupled with Sisko's realization of the futility of war makes for one terrific hour of television.

4) Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG): This episode proves that TNG can be just as dramatic and compelling as DS9 when it wants to be, albeit without the lasting political consequences. Just like the episodes listed above, one of the primary strengths of "Yesterday's Enterprise" is its attention to detail. The stark militaristic feel of this war weary Starfleet is unsettling and the decision to give Tasha Yar a proper sendoff was a stroke of genius. The intriguing premise and refreshing change in style, not to mention stellar performances by all involved, make this a top contender.

5) The Changing Face of Evil (DS9): "Changing Face" is one roller coaster of an episode that will leave you breathless and cheering for more. It also further demonstrates how sweeping and cinematic the series has become. This is a thrilling hour of television full of ironies and revelations, seamlessly hopping from one storyline to another. What amazes me is that DS9 still manages to pack more character moments than any of its fellow series, despite also baring the weight of the single largest story arc ever conceived for Star Trek. Within the last ten minutes alone, viewers will experience tragic loss, stunning realizations, and an exhilarating new prospect for episodes to come.

6) The Best of Both Worlds (TNG): Star Trek's most shocking cliffhanger, "The Best of Both Worlds" retains its original thrill all these years later through use of a brilliant score, nail-biting tension, and meaty dialogue for nearly all the cast. The Borg are as terrifying as they ever will be and the reveal at the end of "Part I" opens endless possibilities. Though the conclusion to this two-parter may have been less enthralling as the beginning, it has little effect on the overall excitement of this story.

7) Call to Arms (DS9): Like TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds," this installment captures a sense of foreboding and inevitability as the Alpha Quadrant is plunged into chaos. The final act almost manages to surpass "The Best of Both Worlds" in terms of building excitement for the season to come. The problems created in "Call to Arms" seem so insurmountable that it leaves viewers unsure whether the resolution will come by next episode. Though this season finale ends with a Federation defeat, the episode comes off as a triumph in that it opens up endless new opportunities for the show's characters and setting.

8) The Visitor (DS9): Who said this show was only about war and political intrigue? This episode takes an interesting sci-fi idea and combines it with DS9's rich backstory and unique character relationships to make a true classic. “The Visitor” goes to show that high concept science fiction doesn’t have to be riddled with incomprehensible technobabble.

9) The City on the Edge of Forever (TOS): The first Star Trek episode I ever watched, "City" still impacts me as it did all those years ago. Discovery of ancient alien worlds, time travel, romance, social commentary, and a poignant conclusion—everything comes together in this episode to form a TOS classic and fan favorite.

10) The Inner Light (TNG): This episode is one of the highlights of TNG's run and transcends the science-fiction genre. Many praise it as Star Trek's greatest achievement and I certainly can see why. In the end, the haunting music and Patrick Stewart's usual acting talent is all that's needed to convey Picard’s gradual recovery and sense of loss.

OtakuJo

Report this Sep. 06 2013, 9:35 pm

Quote: 4_Cardassia @ Sep. 06 2013, 11:53 am

That's very likely the reason. Good episode -- unlikely to be many people's favourite simply because it can be hard to tell episode from episode for much of that story arc. For me, Extreme Measures stands out for being so different, but even after multiple viewings the other episodes of the final ten (although excellent) are a bit of a blur.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

starfan97

Report this Sep. 07 2013, 10:05 am

miklamar

Report this Sep. 10 2013, 9:46 am

TNG's "The Inner Light" and "The Offspring" are my favorite dramas.

DS9's "Little Green Men" and "Take Me Out To The Holosuite" are my favorite comic episodes.

hawkdoc60

Report this Sep. 12 2013, 7:34 pm

From TOS, it is "Spectre of the Gun."

From TNG, it is "Tapestry."

TravisMalcolm

Report this Sep. 13 2013, 9:37 am

Quote: starfan97 @ Sep. 07 2013, 10:05 am

>I could never pick only one favorite episode... even if I thought about it for years...

No one picked just one episode.

LA.x2 I forgot about Shuttlepod One, that was very well done.

Blalock & Nimoy were the best two actors in the Star Trek universe. Go Vulcans!

Users browsing this forum: DS9TREK, FleetAdmiral_BamBam