What would you have done to reboot Star Trek?

NCC-1864

Report this Aug. 22 2013, 9:24 am

To preface this, I did find the JJ movies enjoyable and fun and didnt take them 100% seriously as a Star Trek film, but I was just musing about how it could have been different...

I think the franchise could have been revived in three ways

1. Enterprise
This could have been accomplished by a revival of the ENT era, maybe not necessarily the NX-01, where Earth is in a war with the Romulans (as a movie)...which could have drawn interest to ENT (but not necessarily TOS and the better spinoffs like TNG and DS9)

2. TOS prequel
Kinda like the new movies but in the prime timeline, maybe focused on the Farragut or the Enterprise under April (since he is never really seen) or Pike which has the Kirk\Spock early bonding and a good science story

3. Generations 2.0

This movie features the end run of the TNG crew (a more fitting end than Nemesis) and passes on the torch to a crew of the Enterprise E refit (or F) and may\may not include the death and or retirements of the TNG characters (but no dying because of bridges!)...this would be the best springboard for a new series (in my opinion)

Which is your favorite\more plausible? What would you do? Your thoughts\criticisms are very much appreciated!

Dammit Jim I'm a trekkie, not a doctor!

NCC-1864

Report this Aug. 22 2013, 10:35 am

I agree in that the new movies are good and have effectively revived the franchise and I rank them in the top half of the trek movies

Dammit Jim I'm a trekkie, not a doctor!

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Aug. 22 2013, 12:51 pm

NCC-1864

Report this Aug. 22 2013, 2:27 pm

Thats what this forum is about...I was just airing out my three ideas for what they could have done in the prime timeline...what would you have done (not to sound frustrated or defensive, just innocently curious)

Dammit Jim I'm a trekkie, not a doctor!

vulcan lady

Report this Aug. 23 2013, 5:34 am

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Aug. 22 2013, 12:51 pm

>I wouldn't have invented a new timeline.  A reboot could have been done keeping in line with the "prime" universe.  What JJ did was split Trek, not add to it.

My feelings exactly.

When I try to talk to new fans about MY Star Trek, they have no clue what I'm talking abou because the new "Trek" is so different.

I wish so much they would have stayed with the prime characters and just added to what Gene Roddenberry had so cleverly invented.  I miss the old Spock, the old Uhura, the old doctor.....The new characterizations and personatlities are too far removed from the originals, for my taste.  Spock would have never shouted "Khan", or started and argument with Uhura about their romance right in front of the crew, the Benedict Cumberbach version of Khan, though good, was nothing like character Richardo Montalban portrayed, etc.,etc.,etc....

I wouldn't want a carbon copy, but at least stick with the original personalities of the characters.

I think Zachary Quinto could do a very good job of the "serious" Spock, void of emotions but vulnerable.  I think the choice to make him emotional and actually having an obvious affair is stretching things way too far.  Makes me miss Nimoy so much.

DIFTOR HEH SMUSMA!

NCC-1864

Report this Aug. 23 2013, 6:29 am

So to see if I understand you properly: is your idea above basically this new cast but playing the personas of the prime trek characters but still being their coming together?

Dammit Jim I'm a trekkie, not a doctor!

2takesfrakes

Report this Aug. 24 2013, 4:50 am

Simply put ...

I would have made TOS more like
STAR TREK: The Next Generation!

Billsy101

Report this Aug. 26 2013, 6:07 pm

While I don't like what JJ did. I think he tried to use the alternate universe so that he had nothing in terms of existing canon to have to work around in terms of creating a new movie or movie series.

Dominating the Star Trek Universe from little, old (young) New Zealand

NCC-1864

Report this Aug. 27 2013, 12:01 pm

Yes that was his plan..I actually really like it because it means that the prime trek is all still there, sans Spock and Romulus/Remus anyway

Dammit Jim I'm a trekkie, not a doctor!