will weaton needs to grow up

Camorite

Report this Aug. 15 2013, 6:17 pm

A few weeks ago discovery chanel aired thier anual shark week with a controversial show called megalodon the monster shark lives. After this show aired weaton made some comments about how the show was beneith the standards of discovery chanel and that it should appologies for it. To this I say to him GROW UP. This show was not ment to be real, but to educate the audiance in a fun way about this ancient shark. Personally I foud the show very interesting and would like to see more show made likd this one.

"What i Hate more then anything else is someone that thinks that they know everything. That must mean that I really hate myself", "Freedom is the right of all setient beings!" (Optimus Prime: Transformers), "That's on small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!" Neil Armstrong 8-5-30 to 8-25-12

bunkey

Report this Aug. 16 2013, 9:30 am

Who's "Will Weaton"?

And he may need to grow up, whoever he is, but you need a spell check!

Tureaz'47

Report this Aug. 17 2013, 1:11 am

He had some immature comments about his stint on ENT. too.

In the best words of Capt. Picard and Beverly.

"Shut up Wesley!"

bunkey

Report this Aug. 17 2013, 7:58 am

Quote: Tureaz'47 @ Aug. 17 2013, 1:11 am

>He had some immature comments about his stint on ENT. too.

>In the best words of Capt. Picard and Beverly.

>"Shut up Wesley!"

Enterprise? You must be smoking something real powerful. He was never on Enterprise.

Sarcasm is my native language.
JJ Abrams is not of the body.

Serrano

Report this Aug. 17 2013, 2:14 pm

Science literacy matters.

I wasn't suprised that after the faux Mermaids documentaries on Animal Planet people got into a panic about the threat of humanoid aquatic beings but for a species like megalodon that actually existed and that many folks knew was extinct the program was a disservice.

It also wasn't only Mr. Wheaton.

Writer for Discover Magazine Christie Wilcox wrote an open letter to Discovery Communications on the issue. Here is the link -

Mr Wheaton is a grown man who in my opinion expressed what many other adult regular viewers of Discovery were feeling.

Keep your hailing frequencies open.

Camorite

Report this Aug. 17 2013, 3:44 pm

Ok serrono, I read the article that you posted an adress for (fyi an actual link would have been better), and though I respect the man for his honesty and opinion I still must dissagree with what he said, and here are my reasons,

First is the format the show was done in. I watched the mermaid show, and imediatly spotted similarities between it and megalodon. Now that does not excuse discovery for not posting proper disclaimers, but the clue were still present.

Second, clearly discovery wanted to start off shark week with an entertaining show. In factif you look at the bulk of the shows on this week very few of them fall into the same catagory as shows that they have had in the past, featuring more entertaining shows like voodoo shark and alien shark, not to mention the shark after dark specials, then the old shows about attacks, which, I will add, they only did one of this year.

Finally, I would much rather watch more shows like this on discovery then shows about guys looking for gold, or chopping down trees, or catching crabs. Besides to say that discovery has never fallen back on shows with dramatizations in them is compleatly false.

Oh btw, I am calling out wil weaton because he is a former trek star and this is a board about trek and the people that stared in it.

Tureaz'47

Report this Aug. 17 2013, 10:00 pm

Quote: bunkey @ Aug. 17 2013, 7:58 am

Quote: Tureaz'47 @ Aug. 17 2013, 1:11 am

>He had some immature comments about his stint on ENT. too.

>In the best words of Capt. Picard and Beverly.

>"Shut up Wesley!"

Writing from experience?

Starship Enterprise. TNG.

Wheaton isn't the only immaturity in this thread.

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

Hegemony.Cricket

Report this Aug. 18 2013, 6:51 am

Wl Wheaton's objections are valid. Back when you could actually learn something on The Learning Channel and Discovery, they used to make heavy use of reinactments and simulations to dramatize their subject matter. They were used to illustrative purposes, so you could see what a Crusader riding into battle would look like, or understand the layout of an ancient building which had since been destroyed. The problem is that Discovery aired a dramatization as "found footage" which without disclaimers could be misread as "evidence". The problem is that Discovery has been taking a more sensational direction since it fell under the leadership of a major network CEO, and it's reached the point where you stand a better chance of learning about sharks from "Sharknado".

"Shark Week" is a ratings grab, and rarely features their best programming. They tend to air things like "Air  Shark" (make a shark jump and film it in slow motion), and the sickening special last year where a guy caught a shark for funsies, accidentally killed it when it tried to get away, and dragged the thing home a macabre trophy.

Wil made a specific stand: re-enactments are fine, but no fake "found footage".  Educational television should never mislead the viewer. It's fine if you didn't mind the "B Movie" scenes in the special, but his opinion was well-founded and well explained. He certainly doesn't need to "grow up".

bunkey

Report this Aug. 18 2013, 7:35 am

Quote: Tureaz'47 @ Aug. 17 2013, 10:00 pm

Quote: bunkey @ Aug. 17 2013, 7:58 am

Quote: Tureaz'47 @ Aug. 17 2013, 1:11 am

>He had some immature comments about his stint on ENT. too.

>In the best words of Capt. Picard and Beverly.

>"Shut up Wesley!"

Writing from experience?

Starship Enterprise. TNG.

Wheaton isn't the only immaturity in this thread.

"ENT" is known as the abbreviation for Star Trek: Enterprise, later known as only "Enterprise".

If, however, you're referring to The Next Generation, that would be "TNG".  Also, Wheaton never made any "immature" remarks about his time on TNG.   His memoir "Just A Geek" is rather intelligent and insightful.

But by all means, keep thinking that you're incredibly clever by invoking the tired old "Shut Up Wesley" trope.  You're very original.

Sarcasm is my native language.
JJ Abrams is not of the body.

2takesfrakes

Report this Aug. 18 2013, 7:44 am

It is really sad, actually, when people
have to learn about the world from T.V.
and trust wikipedia to inform them all
about what's left of the Wild Kingdom!

Having said that, I find myself in total
agreement with Hegemony.Cricket. Whilst
his comments could've - and should've -
been much more BRIEF, I still found myself
nodding in approval at his point of view.

Serrano

Report this Aug. 18 2013, 11:54 am

Quote: 2takesfrakes @ Aug. 18 2013, 7:44 am

>It is really sad, actually, when people
have to learn about the world from T.V.
and trust wikipedia to inform them all
about what's left of the Wild Kingdom!

I don't feel sad at the thought of people learning about the world from TV.
But I too I find myself in total agreement with Hegemony.Cricket.

Radio and television have been used to educate people about art, history and science since broadcasting began. But as more and more people bought T.V.'s the content became more "entertaining": Leave it to Beaver, Milton Bearl, wrestling and roller derby.

Although I consider 15% of the U.S. population believing that the sun orbits the Earth is a little high I'm willing to find it acceptable, providing that people weren't being told that an extinct giant shark still exists and that to get anything done the ancient Egyptions needed help from aliens.

It's possible I live in a bubble where everyone I'm connected with were disapointed with the Megalodon... what ever that was. But Discovery may have lost viewers. Either they re think their philosophy... or what ever it is they have or make a committment to education in the compelling and entertaining ways that PBS has for decades.

I'm curious.

Who else do you think does a good job?

Do you think Star Trek generates an interest in science literacy?

Keep your hailing frequencies open.

Serrano

Report this Aug. 18 2013, 12:07 pm

Quote: Hegemony.Cricket @ Aug. 18 2013, 6:51 am

>The problem is that Discovery has been taking a more sensational direction since it fell under the leadership of a major network CEO, and it's reached the point where you stand a better chance of learning about sharks from "Sharknado".

Thanks for that bit of information. I'm going to look into that. It would explan a great deal including Discovery being the butt of jokes concerning their um... scholorship.

Keep your hailing frequencies open.

2takesfrakes

Report this Aug. 18 2013, 12:57 pm

Being a product of television, STAR TREK relies on many
stereotypes and broad portrayals to get to "the point" in the
time allotted. But it does reference various classical authors.
A "knowledgable" audience might be more inclined to further
investigate a STAR TREK theme. But most take it at face value:

Orion slave girls are green and sexy. Vulcans are logical.
Dr. McCoy's magic wand shows him all of your vital signs ...

It is what it is ... As to who does a "good" job, I would say it is
the educators: Natural History Museums, planetariums and zoos.
They are not free, cheap, or in every neighborhood. And they are
not Hollywood entertainment. But they are the real experts ...

Serrano

Report this Aug. 18 2013, 1:49 pm

Scotty inspired a generation of young people to be engeneers. When he died the first thing the BBC announcer said was, "He made being an engineer cool."

My question, "Do you think Star Trek generates an interest in science literacy?" may have been inspired by that statement.

James Doohan said he was suprised at being given honorary degrees from colleges but was told many of the students were inspired by Star Trek.

Keep your hailing frequencies open.

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 18 2013, 11:47 pm

A couple of things one could say.

I have not seen the show in question, although have been a little disappointed in the Discovery Channel recently. It's probably the lowest quality documentary channel on my telly right now. (Below History, BBC Knowledge, Nat Geo, and Crime & Investigation -- not in that order.) If you want a better look at Megalodon, Impossible Pictures does a series called "Seven Deadly Seas" and their doco series are generally really good quality.

That said, (and as I mentioned, I have not seen this show), Wil Wheaton doesn't need to "grow up". He has his opinion, and that's his opinion. Cool. Everyone is entitled to express their opinion regarding the quality of TV education / entertainment. No doubt Mr Wheaton is not the first to have been openly disappointed. At the same time, no-one is obliged to listen to them.

If you happen to enjoy the show, what's stopping you from enjoying it, and learning from it? Enjoy watching, without deference to what anyone else thinks of your viewing choices. Just be critical of what you learn. I happen to enjoy "Ancient Aliens" (sometimes) but it doesn't necessarily follow that I believe any of their conjectures. Actually, a lot of the time I'm laughing on the inside.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?