ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

FanFiction question

Trekkie128

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 31

Report this Aug. 10 2013, 6:49 am

For those of you who read ST FanFic, which genre do you prefer, and is there a preference between  a full chapter story or a oneshot? 


Thanks for all your help and input, as  I am  relatively new to the boards.


"I never met a chocolate I didn't like"

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46314

Report this Aug. 10 2013, 10:42 am

Everyone will have differing opinions, so if I may suggest it, just write what you want to write the way you want to write and then let people decide.  Of course, I'm not a writer.  Maybe you'll get lucky and one of the authors of a Star Trek book will see your thread and respond.  I see one or two of them logon every once in a while.


 


I will say that if the story is very long, breaking it up into chapters does make it easier to read, but it's it's relatively short, it's not necessary.

Trekkie128

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 31

Report this Aug. 10 2013, 6:37 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Aug. 10 2013, 10:42 am

>

>Everyone will have differing opinions, so if I may suggest it, just write what you want to write the way you want to write and then let people decide.  Of course, I'm not a writer.  Maybe you'll get lucky and one of the authors of a Star Trek book will see your thread and respond.  I see one or two of them logon every once in a while.

>I will say that if the story is very long, breaking it up into chapters does make it easier to read, but it's it's relatively short, it's not necessary.

>


Thanks so much for your input, and once I actually post the story, I will give you the link if you'd like it. I know my main pairing will consist of Kira/Odo.


"I never met a chocolate I didn't like"

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46314

Report this Aug. 10 2013, 8:33 pm

Quote: Trekkie128 @ Aug. 10 2013, 6:37 pm

>Thanks so much for your input, and once I actually post the story, I will give you the link if you'd like it. I know my main pairing will consist of Kira/Odo.
Please do.

Trekkie128

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 31

Report this Aug. 10 2013, 8:39 pm

Alright, I am still drafting the story and will possibly post the first chapter on Monday. Thanks for your interest! 

Trekkie128

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 31

Report this Aug. 11 2013, 10:06 am

Well, I think I have to change the pairing because of the fact that I cannot find full episodes for DS9. 


"I never met a chocolate I didn't like"

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46314

Report this Aug. 11 2013, 7:06 pm

Quote: Trekkie128 @ Aug. 11 2013, 10:06 am

>

>Well, I think I have to change the pairing because of the fact that I cannot find full episodes for DS9. 

>
I think all the episodes are available at http://www.startrek.com/videos/star-trek-deep-space-nine

Trekkie128

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 31

Report this Aug. 11 2013, 8:43 pm

Well, I have tried that link but can't access due to the fact my internet service is blocking CBS's videos.

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Aug. 12 2013, 2:31 am

I would say if it suits your story to make it a one-shot, then make it a one-shot. And, of course, the opposite is also true if it is a longer story that requires chapters. About 1000-2000 words per chapter is generally easier to read directly from the computer, but readers will still stick by you however long your chapters are, if you give them a good story.


I prefer genfic (not slash, not shipping), although am open to anything if the story is good. The more it reflects what I know of the characterisations, the better. But I would say that as a writer, I'll go for almost any challenge, but always write better if I like the story I'm writing. So BamBam is correct: Write what you want to, and you will almost certainly be able to find readers with similar tastes.


After all, it's going to be a labour of love no matter what.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Trekkie128

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 31

Report this Aug. 12 2013, 12:16 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Aug. 12 2013, 2:31 am

>

>I would say if it suits your story to make it a one-shot, then make it a one-shot. And, of course, the opposite is also true if it is a longer story that requires chapters. About 1000-2000 words per chapter is generally easier to read directly from the computer, but readers will still stick by you however long your chapters are, if you give them a good story.

>I prefer genfic (not slash, not shipping), although am open to anything if the story is good. The more it reflects what I know of the characterisations, the better. But I would say that as a writer, I'll go for almost any challenge, but always write better if I like the story I'm writing. So BamBam is correct: Write what you want to, and you will almost certainly be able to find readers with similar tastes.

>After all, it's going to be a labour of love no matter what.

>


Awesome! Thanks!


"I never met a chocolate I didn't like"

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46314

Report this Aug. 12 2013, 12:57 pm

Quote: Trekkie128 @ Aug. 11 2013, 8:43 pm

>

>Well, I have tried that link but can't access due to the fact my internet service is blocking CBS's videos.

>
Ahh... Time Warner?  Yea, that's affecting a lot of people.  I doubt it'll be permanent as both companies need each other.

Trekkie128

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 31

Report this Aug. 13 2013, 10:09 am

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Aug. 12 2013, 12:57 pm

Quote: Trekkie128 @ Aug. 11 2013, 8:43 pm

>

>

>Well, I have tried that link but can't access due to the fact my internet service is blocking CBS's videos.

>
Ahh... Time Warner?  Yea, that's affecting a lot of people.  I doubt it'll be permanent as both companies need each other.


I just hope your right. Because it's getting quite annoying.


"I never met a chocolate I didn't like"

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum