I'm afraid this week's poll could do more harm than good.

Sora

Report this Jul. 28 2013, 9:28 pm

Asking people where they usually watch Star Trek. I can't help but wonder if the main purpose of asking, is to get some idea of just how many fans are still using the dvds, and are buying the blu-rays. Unfortunately Netflix is bringing in the most votes. And I get Netflix for the more casual viewer, pay 7.99 per month, as opposed to several hundred dollars in dvds or blu-rays. I just hope there are enough of the hardcore fans to continue the blu-ray project. I consider myself a hardcore fan without a doubt. I have Netflix, but never watch Star Trek on it, because I have all the dvds, every season to every series, and every blu-ray season currently available, and I watch them religiously. I think 3 days is usually the longest I ever end up going without watching a Trek dvd. I absolutely love the blu-rays, and I want to see the whole franchise remastered in the glorious HD that we've been given. But this poll has me wondering if CBS is on the fence about remastering DS9 or Voyager, or the Animated Series. Mike Okuda has said that we WILL get DS9, IF the TNG blu-rays continue to sell. I pre-order every season that comes up as soon as they become available, and I haven't been disappointed with a single set. I'm just nervous that if the results of this poll tells CBS that the majority of us just watch Trek on Netflix, that after Enterprise and TNG are done, I'm afraid they may scrap the rest of Trek. It would be way cheaper for them to not bother and just do Netflix as well. They will most likely only continue if they know they are going to make a good profit from it. I realize that technology has changed, and with the internet far more powerful than it was when I was a kid, (I'm a 90's kid if you were wondering) that you do practically everything except use the toilet online, and it won't shock me if they eventually come out with an app of some sort for that too for some reason I loved the new advances when I was a kid and in my early teens, and then at some point I just without realizing it, stopped moving forward as far as technology goes. I still like having my basic flip phone, I still use classic iPods, I've never had an iPhone. I still use a regular laptop computer, rather than an iPad or some other form of tablet. And I still absolutely love my dvds and blu-rays, and I really want to be able to complete my Star Trek blu-ray collection. The internet is amazing, no doubt at all, but I like having my own physical copy of Trek.

Again, I totally understand if you consider yourself a more casual fan, the definition being, you enjoy Trek, but you aren't as far gone as the rest of us, and realize there's still real life to live   but if you are someone who does consider themself to be a more hardcore fan, and Star Trek is YOUR show like it is mine, I hope that you will go and support the blu-ray releases. And you'll get a much better deal for them on amazon.com than anywhere else.

Actually if anyone is interested, check out http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/tos-coupon.html

That link will take you a website for a Star Trek podcast called Mission Log, they have started with the Original Series and they offer a coupon code, that will take you to a store where you can get 25% off on all TOS dvds or blu-rays.

I imagine if you're still reading at this point, you think I'm crazy or need to get a life, but I do have a life I promise. I have a job, I work, I have a wife and all that good stuff. I just have a real passion for Star Trek, it's the only tv show I truly love and care about. I just really want to help do my part where I can to make sure CBS continues to put out high quality Trek merchandise and blu-rays that are worth our money. Before they start cutting corners. I can tell you, for any dvd owners that don't have blu-rays yet, Paramount got extremely lazy with the dvds. CBS has given us a bang for our buck with the blu-rays. The blu-rays are FAR SUPERIOR to ANY of the dvd sets on pretty much every level. New deleted scenes, and episode commentaries, new special features. The episodes look so good, it's almost the next best thing to having a holodeck. They haven't gotten lazy with the blu-rays I am very proud to say. One of my favorite things is the cases are far better, and much smaller. The dvd cases were very bulky and hard to store. And don't get me started on the TOS remastered dvds. They looked like I personally made them out of my house....that isn't good....lol I can't say enough good about the blu-rays. If you love Trek, and haven't gotten any yet, go and try out a season or two. You won't be disappointed!

rob39874

Report this Jul. 29 2013, 5:26 am

I actually do the DVDS however I only have a few seasons as it is quite expensive to buy boxsets when you have babies. I for one have to contend with reruns on the SiFy but thats only Ds9 and TNG while on CBS drama I can catch ENT. But TOS and VOY which are not aired at the moment I cannot see.

Netflix in the Uk does not show Star Trek yet it gives us a load of other cult shows like Buffy and Dr Who. We really need to have star trek on netflix over here

Sora

Report this Jul. 29 2013, 7:27 pm

Yeah I understand that. I got all of the dvds when I was a kid and teenager, and I'm married now, but no kids as of yet, so that makes it easier for me to get the blu-rays. I just get the blu-rays one at a time as they come out.

willowtree

Report this Jul. 30 2013, 9:25 am

JoCat

Report this Jul. 30 2013, 7:59 pm

I am a huge and longtime fan of Star Trek. But I also live on a tight budget. Therefore I have not purchased any blue-rays. Just DVDs and some Amazon downloads. Blue-rays are just too expensive for me to consider. Also since I have a serious visual impairment, I don't need to buy blue-ray because I cannot see the difference in the quality of it. I cannot see the difference in HD verse regular TV and I can't see 3-D. Therefore just regular DVDs are good enough for me.

Sora

Report this Jul. 30 2013, 8:45 pm

Quote: willowtree @ Jul. 30 2013, 9:25 am

>I'm a hardcore fan and I'd rather watch them on netflix. Blue ray sets are way too expensive.

Really? They usually drop to $59.99 on amazon right before the day of the release. You have to realize, when TNG started coming out on regular dvd back in the day, in 2002, I was 12 at the time I believe, and was equally excited for the dvds as I am the blu-rays today, and back then, we paid 100 bucks per season. You have to realize back in 2002, we didn't have tv shows on dvd yet. Not in full season form anyway. I think there were a handful of shows you could get on individual discs they had a couple episodes to a disc. I think that's how TOS was first released actually. So at the time, alot of us thought 100 bucks per season wasn't a bad deal. DVD's were still really new at the time, and alot of people were still using VHS tapes, so the DVD's were worth pure latinum to Trekkies at the time. Most of us thought we were getting a bargain at 100 dollars per season. And it wasn't just TNG either, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise and TOS came out last actually in full season form, they were all 100 dollars each season. And that's what I paid for each of them, usually with birthday and Christmas money as a kid and teenager. My parents got quite a few of them for various holidays for me as well. So my memory of that, getting a superior box set, everything updated and upgraded, now on 6 discs per season instead of 7, as now they can 5 episodes to a disc instead of 4, new commentaries, new deleted scenes and what not, for almost half the price of what the original dvds were? In my mind you can't beat that.

Live Long and Prosper

willowtree

Report this Jul. 31 2013, 5:37 am

Quote: Sora @ Jul. 30 2013, 8:45 pm

Quote: willowtree @ Jul. 30 2013, 9:25 am

when there is something like netflix available even $60 for a set is much for me. That's half my car payment, that's a few packs of diapers things like that

the special features I can usually see on youtube. And honestly at this point having gone to so many conventions and read so many interviews I doubt there are any behind the scenes anecdotes I haven't heard

Sora

Report this Jul. 31 2013, 9:26 am

Fair enough. I just enjoy having my physical copies that are mine, and thankfully right now I can afford it. I have only been to two conventions and the last one I was at was in 2005. So I don't know if and when I'll be able to go to another one. So that's why I really enjoy having the new commentaries and special features. Plus, the series are all on Netflix right now, however Netflix is notorious for removing various movies and shows after they've been up for a couple years. Trek may not always be up on Netflix. I'll always have my blu-rays

bunkey

Report this Aug. 01 2013, 5:12 am

They're not going base investing money in remastering shows based on a stupid website poll on a site that's frequented by a handful of fans. There's such a thing as paid market research for that.

If anything it's probably going to effect of they continue to show the episodes on this site.

Sora

Report this Aug. 01 2013, 8:41 pm

I hope you're right!

Users browsing this forum: DS9_FOREVER!