How many fans would be interested in this idea for a new Star Trek product?

Sora

Report this Jul. 22 2013, 7:23 pm

There's a new Star Trek product that I really want to see, probably after all the series are in HD. This product would really only be for fans that like all of the series and movies. Fans who only like a couple of the series, most likely wouldn't be interested. I've given some thought before to a possibility of a complete franchise box set in blu-ray, however due to how much Star Trek is, a box set of that magnitude, just simply wouldn't be practical. I've thought of something else instead that would be alot more practical.

I recently got a philips portable blu-ray player, and I love the size and shape of it, the picture on it is awesome. And I started thinking, it would be really awesome to have a unit, much like this portable blu-ray player, but instead of it being a blu-ray player, making it a portable Star Trek unit, that has the entire Star Trek franchise loaded onto it, stored into a hard drive. Thus, you can put this in a carry case and have all your Trek with you on the go, and like any other portable unit, you could connect it to your tv at home, and watch it on the big screen if you want. Now you have it all in one place, without the difficulty of dealing with tons of discs. The tagline for the commercials for this product should say "When you go, it boldly goes with you!" Or something like that. That would get people's attention I think.

I would want CBS to go all out on this unit, like making the unit look like it's Starfleet issue, and having the Federation computer voice.

With the unit, you have the ability to search for anything you're looking for in the Star Trek library, but I also want there to be some pre-programmed programs in the system. Like a suggested viewing experience. Have an area for each series, and an area for TOS film, TNG films, and the new movies.

For fans who want to just watch a specific series or episode, all they have to do is search the library and select it, but I'd also like something in the system as an option for fans, titled "The Ultimate Trek Experience" or something to that effect. This program will save your progress, unless you choose to reset it, and will take you through the entire universe from start to finish in Chronological sequence. Beginning with Enterprise, and ending with Nemesis, and running multiple series together, as they originally aired together, but more than just playing episodes, I'd like to see Trek related media where the commercial breaks were, showing trailers of upcoming episodes and or movies. Basically getting to live through the Trek universe at ease, as you would have seen it as it was originally written, with the exception of starting at Enterprise. Even using some of the old commercials from way back when, when series were about to begin, really hyping it up. Of course these things, you should have a settings area available where you can turn that stuff on or off as you like.

The unit will also be able to connect to the internet, and upload new Trek news and what not. And also for when new movies or series, if and when we get a new series, can be downloaded into the unit for storage. Obviously for downloading new content, there will be a charge for that.

I see this as being an alternative to a massive box set that would have to be insanely expensive and hard for fans to store in their homes, due to how bulky it would end up being. So with that in mind, of coming pre-programmed with everything Trek, 30 seasons of tv, and 12 movies, on a low end I would see this product starting at $399.99 and on a high end $799.99. But chances are there would be a price somewhere between, maybe $599.99?

For how much Trek there is, and how much work I would want to go into this project, I think those prices would definitely be reasonable. I'd pay it, happily. I would like to contact CBS and request something like this for the future.

But I don't know how much of a turnout this thing would get. Is this something other fans would want, and be willing to pay for?

willowtree

Report this Jul. 24 2013, 5:23 am

Sora

Report this Jul. 24 2013, 8:41 am

Quote: willowtree @ Jul. 24 2013, 5:23 am

>I don't think that with today's technology that anyone would be interested in something like that. And it already exists basically in the form of a tablet/laptop/smartphone. I can access Netflix on any of those devices and watch any episode I want, or I can purchase any episode or movie and store it on any of those devices

True, but Netflix doesn't have all of the movies on instant, and Netflix also doesn't deliever the best visual quality, I mean it's not terrible, but not the best. That's why the blu-rays are still selling so well. People still want Trek in blu-ray, despite the fact they can view it online.

But you may be right. I just wanted to bounce the idea off a few minds.

Live Long and Prosper

Pooneil

Report this Aug. 02 2013, 1:31 am

Call it iTrek.

willowtree

Report this Aug. 02 2013, 8:40 am

you can have that now, just get a tablet

Sora

Report this Aug. 03 2013, 7:36 am

Quote: Pooneil @ Aug. 02 2013, 1:31 am

>Call it iTrek.

>I'd love to have a device with every episode on it. I could set it on "random" and it would save me having to pick what to watch. I'm imagining the standard-issue pad with distinctive Okudagrams for the interface.

That would be so awesome! I hope we someday get something like this!

Live Long and Prosper

Sora

Report this Aug. 03 2013, 7:41 am

Quote: willowtree @ Aug. 02 2013, 8:40 am

>you can have that now, just get a tablet

Well I actually just got a new computer that runs on Windows 8 and has the touch screen. I like it, it's a great computer. I ran a little netflix on there, it looks great too. I tried what you were saying as well, with having the series together on Netflix, and it just isn't the same. But that might just be me and my being OCD. But Netflix is dedicated to thousands of titles, Star Trek just happens to be there for right now. And for how long? I don't think anything stays on Netflix streaming forever. What some of us are wanting, is our own personal Star Trek device. Something that is specifically dedicated to Star Trek. Something that we don't have to share with any other movie or tv show. It makes it feel more unique, and more special. To me anyways.

Live Long and Prosper