I won a story slam talking about my experience at my 1st ever convention.

WrathOfPrawn

Report this Jul. 03 2013, 4:14 pm

Hey there,

This is my first post, glad to join the community. To begin I wanted to share a video of the story that earned me a victory in the very first storytelling competition I ever entered (I'm a stand-up comic but had never done pure storytelling before).

By pure luck I got to attend the Boston con a few weeks ago. It was a fantastic time. I'll def be returning to more events. Here's me talking about Levar Burton, William Shatner, and general geekdom. I hope you enjoy.

willowtree

Report this Jul. 05 2013, 5:09 am

I was at that convention. It wasn't one of the best

2takesfrakes

Report this Jul. 06 2013, 3:26 pm

I saw the clip. For a professional comedian,
you seem a bit "green." A bit nervous, in fact.
I would work on that, but otherwise ... I am glad
you're a fan and shared your story. There are - or
have been - interesting people using these boards,
including STAR TREK authors and musicians who've
dedicated their bands to STAR TREK themes. If I
were able to get involved in entertainment, though,
it would not occur to me to include STAR TREK. But
that's just me. I dig how people from all walks of
life truly love this franchise. It's a hell of a thing.

willowtree

Report this Jul. 08 2013, 8:27 am

Quote: 2takesfrakes @ Jul. 06 2013, 3:26 pm

>I saw the clip. For a professional comedian,
you seem a bit "green." A bit nervous, in fact.
I would work on that, but otherwise ... I am glad
you're a fan and shared your story. There are - or
have been - interesting people using these boards,
including STAR TREK authors and musicians who've
dedicated their bands to STAR TREK themes. If I
were able to get involved in entertainment, though,
it would not occur to me to include STAR TREK. But
that's just me. I dig how people from all walks of
life truly love this franchise. It's a hell of a thing.

they did say it was their FIRST time doing this kind of routine,

WrathOfPrawn

Report this Jul. 08 2013, 9:40 am

I had a quite a bit of fun at my first ever convention, I obviously have nothing to compare it to, but if that one was just mediocre I'm really looking forward to hitting up more in the future. Re: seeming green, if that's how you feel that's how you feel. But I'll say if that's because I'm speaking quickly, that's due to the strictly enforced time constraints at a story slam. Unlike stand-up where sticking to your allotted time is enforced mainly by your desire to be professional and respect other comics (and maybe someone signaling you with a light), I found that at the slam there was a woman with an iPad timer sitting about a foot from the stage, directly facing you, and making a lot of strong eye contact while the timer counted down from 5 mins to an alarm that would sound loudly and emabarrassingly during your piece should you go a second over. I'll most definitely admit that trying to cram a 7 min leisurely paced story into that frame had a negative effect on pacing. My thanks for watching either way, and like I said, I'm absolutely looking forward to more conventions, quite a few cool people with awesome interests.