Star Trek Into Darkness

Ninja Vulcan

Report this Jul. 01 2013, 1:20 am

Live Long and Prosper! Once you have elimnated the impossible what ever remains however improable must be the truth. You will find after a time, wanting will be more pleasing than having. This is illogical but is often the truth. The Undiscover Country...

starfan97

Report this Jul. 02 2013, 2:51 pm

I thought the movie was pretty good. I really dont like Spock in these new movies, but I think that they did a good job with most of the other characters. Spock was too emotional and I really don't like the whole Spock-Uhura thing. Its well...illogical.

Ninja Vulcan

Report this Jul. 02 2013, 3:27 pm

Im not a big fan of Spock in the newer movies... but he was better in this newer one...  and Spock-Uhura... I dont like it either...

Jim Kirk

Report this Jul. 04 2013, 2:32 pm

I loved the movie the only bad part is we have to wait a few years for the next one!

Kang - "Only a fool fights in a burning house"

draeden06

Report this Jul. 07 2013, 6:14 pm

It was forgetable,

VORTEX8472

Report this Jul. 09 2013, 9:54 am

Quote: draeden06 @ Jul. 07 2013, 6:14 pm

>It was forgetable,

I don't recall enough of the plot to agree??!! LOL

Sadly it was very forgettable, just another summer blockbuster rife with violence and a story that tries its best to seem plausible and intelligent.  I took it for what it was, a massive jolt to kick-start the dying Star Trek franchise; no use trying to ponder the greater message or philosophical dilemma in the story as there was none.

I still give it a 5/5 for resurrecting Star Trek at the box office, after all it is a business and $$$ talks; definitely increased the chances of a TV series in the near future.

Khaaan!!!!

Report this Aug. 15 2013, 12:32 am

Ok...Here is my feelings on Into Darkness and JJ trek in general.

One of the things I like about JJ is he made it broad enough to be accepted by general audiences and make some money for the franchise. I have always felt like trek is best on tv.....not films. Sure some have been good, but the "morality plays" are tough to do in a summer action flick meant for people who may never have seen a trek episode in their life.

In a perfect world, I would like there to be an ongoing series that is layered and deals with issues, while every 2-4 years they put out a fun action movie to theaters that makes money and keeps trek going financially. If it was up to me the prime universe would be TV and JJverse would be movies and never the two would meet.

2009 Star trek was a fun movie. Yeah, it had a pretty thin plot, a one dimensional villain, and a few plot holes that were kind of unexcusable....but I had a blast with the film. maybe it was trek withdrawals or something. It was pretty well acted and paced extremely well. visually it was satisfying and I hoped that by controversally freeing themselves of all that pesky canon and reintroducing the characters they could go anywhere after the first movie. Even if you hated the film, with the boatload of money it made treks future never seemed so bright after that first film.

2013 Into Darkness.....I am sure everyone who is reading this has probably seen it but SPOILERS AHEAD.

I liked it....I guess. I mean it was fun and well paced like the first one. Visually striking and all that.

I had hoped that once freeing themselves of all that canon they could go in a new direction. Maybe its just me but the remaking thing is wearing a little thin on me by now. Also, and I cant stress this enough, MOVIES ARE ABOUT STAKES. I assume one wants a movie to resolve with some progression either in plot or character development.

at the end Khan is frozen again, Kirk is recovered from his 15 minute demotion and death and oh yeah they started their 5 year mission....wait, what the hell were they doing between the movies. I honestly thought the first movie ended with their 5 year mission beginning....but whatever. It felt alot like they ended exactly where they started minus christopher pike and robocop of course.

but honestly I am ok with all that. what pissed me off was the last 20 minutes or so. Did we need the remake of the famous wrath of khan death scene? really? Too bad they didnt have a quart of the magic Khan blood in star trek 2. It would have saved kirk from shitcanning his career to get spock in the next film, not to mention how much better it would have been for christopher lloyd and john Laroquette. The fight scene with spock and Khan was just unneccesary considering all they did was make him donate blood and go back into the freezer as a regeneration popsicle. The movie should have ended with Khan hooked up to a needle at a hospital with a drum of orange juice curing the world of....everything.

For me it was a mixed bag. It was beutiful, well paced, great action but just left me with a desire to watch wrath of khan again.  I just hope we dont have to remake all of the star trek films now. cant wait to revisit the whale plot or having to revisit row row row your boat again. but what i expect is the REAL khan movie sometiime down the road.

So yeah, I want trek movies to be broad and appeal to a mass audience....but not at the cost of originality. I already paid to see wrath of Khan. I would prefer to see something new. To be honest, I dont know how much of this was JJ's fault. From what I understand there were alot of issues in the JJ/paramount/Cbs trifecta. From what I understand JJ wanted to cross promote with a new series after 2009 and there was a massive marketing fallout which is why you didnt see alot of promotion for the film. It would not surprise me if the Khan remake was not ordered from on high. Also, if doing a Khan movie was supposed to bring in the fans....it is curious that they kept it a secret, they should have marketed it as a Khan movie. To quote Dr. Strangelove "the point of the doomsday machine is lost if you keep it a secret. Why didnt you tell the world eh?"

I am ragging on STID but i have already preordered the damn thing from amazon, so....yeah.

"Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

Tureaz'47

Report this Aug. 17 2013, 9:50 pm

Quote: draeden06 @ Jul. 07 2013, 6:14 pm

>It was forgetable,

Yep!

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

rob39874

Report this Aug. 18 2013, 3:50 am

Quote: Ninja Vulcan @ Jul. 01 2013, 1:20 am

>I'd like to say personally I was actually happy with this movie unlike the first one by JJ... Spock was potrayed better... overal it was just AMAZING!!  Any favorite parts?

Sorry I disagree it's terrible for to many reasons but the worst is that it a shameless and terrible reboot of Wrath of Khan

rob39874

Report this Aug. 18 2013, 3:52 am

Quote: VORTEX8472 @ Jul. 09 2013, 9:54 am

Quote: draeden06 @ Jul. 07 2013, 6:14 pm

>It was forgetable,

I don't recall enough of the plot to agree??!! LOL

Really I think it was hastening the demise of the franchise I hop[e I"m wrong and Star Trek gets revived as a series but if so then it should be the prime universe rather than jjverse otherwise they will have lost a lot of the fan base

King B IX

Report this Aug. 19 2013, 10:20 pm

I liked  ST 2009. Into Darkness, not so much.  I expected more from this one. But then again I didn't like the first movie with Khan.

Hello!

starfan97

Report this Sep. 07 2013, 10:17 am

It was a good movie, though I still wish the original timeline had been kept somehow.

But now that the timeline has changed, there are so may new possibilities...

akebono62

POSTS: 19767

Report this Sep. 08 2013, 12:47 am

It was a decent action movie, but a mediocre Star Trek movie. Too much borrowed material from classic Trek and though the actor was pretty good, they should have had someone else play Khan that looked more the part, imo.