The Best of Star Trek

2ndGenTrekkie

Report this Jun. 26 2013, 7:52 pm

Finally, after years of trying, I am getting my best friend started on Star Trek. Here is a little background:

I have all five TV series and all the movies (like the good little Trekkie I am), and am attempting to compile a list of the best Star Trek episodes for my friend to watch. With 697 episodes - not counting TAS, but counting the original pilot for TOS - it isn't as easy as I thought it would be, even though I have seen all of the above-mentioned episodes. If any further information is needed, feel free to ask.

There are several obvious 'best' episodes, such as City on the Edge of Forever, Best of Both Worlds (just to name 2). Could anyone help a fellow Trekkie/Trekker out, and in the process help Star Trek gain a new fan? I'll be sure to add everything to my list so that this board won't get another 'which is best' topic from me.

Utopia Planetia

Report this Jun. 26 2013, 9:24 pm

From Enterprise, that Affliction 2-parter from season 4 would be good. Maybe Elogium from Voyager. Barge of the Dead maybe. I'll keep thinking about Deep Space Nine. That one's more difficult.

EDIT: For Deep Space Nine, try Tribunal and the Homecoming/Circle/Siege 3-parter. Deep space nine is difficult like I said -- taken in isolation, the episodes don't have the full effect.

Also, what's your friend's taste in tv and movies like?

2ndGenTrekkie

Report this Jun. 26 2013, 9:47 pm

Thank you! That is a good start.

So far from DS9 I have: Emissary and In the Pale Moonlight. You are right, DS9 is harder. Probably because it is more of a story arch than the other series, especially once the Dominion is introduced. I would much prefer sitting my friend down and watching everything straight through, but the TV shows alone are in the neighborhood of 400-500 hours of viewing.

Utopia Planetia

Report this Jun. 26 2013, 9:53 pm

Looks like I was editing while you were posting. My earlier post is updated above.

2ndGenTrekkie

Report this Jun. 26 2013, 10:02 pm

Ah! I see the edit. Those are great episodes - thank you.

Our tastes are actually pretty similar. Everything I've started us on was a hit, such as Star Wars, Monk, MASH, House, etc. We don't limit ourselves to only Sci-Fi, but that is our #1 genre. She - we are women - isn't entirely new to Star Trek. She has seen a few episodes of TNG and Enterprise. Her father and I often get into lengthy discussions on the first four series. I guess she just wants to be able to join in without either of us having to stop and explain some fundamental thing.

Robin Bland

Voyager

Eye of the Needle

The Chute

Unity

Enterprise

In a Mirror Darkly

...I'm sure there are many others, but those were ones I could think of with broad appeal!

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid, darmokattanagra