Roddenberry and Star Trek (2009)

chator56

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 4:53 pm

I know this is an impossible question to answer. However, I came across a few quotes in Roddenberry's biography that make me think he might not have. Here they are:

"(Harve) Bennett had wanted the sixth Star Trek film to flash back in time, to when Kirk and Spock attended Starfleet Academy. But Roddenberry reviled the idea of "The First Adventure" and publicly compared it to the slapstick Police Academy films."

Here's another quote,

"I think it's just as well for you that they didn't do the show they had in mind (referring to Paramount's idea for a Star Trek sequel series-which became Star Trek: The Next Generation), I saw the outline-the one they had in reserve in case I still said no (when Gene was initally approached by Paramount about doing a Star Trek sequel series to TOS, he initially said no). It was the U.S.S. Enterprise run by a group of space cadets."

The above quote comes directly from Roddenberry from a Q&A in Los Angeles at a Star Trek convention in 1989. The quote above that one is from Roddenberry's biographer.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 9:48 pm

I know I saw a taped interview with GR, in which he ecpressed the fondest hope, that one day after he was long, long gone, that some new creators would take TOS, and re-tell the tories of Kirk,Spock and Bones, and tell new tories for a new generation.

But I get the feeling he meant 100 years after his death

Photobucket

Mitchz95

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 9:58 pm

EDIT: Ninja'd by stovokor.

Greatdarkbeyond

Report this Jun. 14 2013, 9:57 am

I heard variations of the supposed quote of his wish for someone to take Star Trek after he was gone and do it again. Bigger and better than he ever did.

Based on the critical acclaim and box office numbers, you could say he got his wish.

willowtree

Report this Jun. 14 2013, 11:36 am

Personally I don't think he would have liked it. It is so far from what he set out to do with TOS

crellmoset

Report this Jun. 14 2013, 12:59 pm

I try to not put words in the mouths of the deceased.

Ethics are arbitrary.

chator56

Report this Jun. 14 2013, 1:30 pm

crellmoset

Report this Jun. 14 2013, 1:43 pm

Quote: chator56 @ Jun. 14 2013, 1:30 pm

>Hmm. Interesting quote, Mitchz. I wonder about the source. I don't doubt Roddenberry said it. His biographer notes that he often said contradictory things, which makes it difficult to pin down what his position might have been. Crellmoset, nobody's put words into anyone's mouth. We're using his own words!

To know what Roddenberry would have thought of ST09 & STID he would need to be alive and have watched it. Any speculation as to whether he would have liked or disliked it is attempting to imbue him with an opinion while he cannot speak for himself.

Ethics are arbitrary.

Catholic.Fan

Report this Jun. 14 2013, 5:30 pm

I think he would have like '09 and STID more than he would have liked Enterprise.  He had a utopian vision, whereas that show had their crew going to all kinds of dark places.  It's a fun what-if from a storytelling perspective, but not one that I think he would have necessarily liked doing onscreen.

I don't think '09 and STID are really in line with the original vision, either, but I don't think they're nearly as off the mark as Enterprise was.

(and I like Enterprise regardless, lol)

chator56

Report this Jun. 14 2013, 5:52 pm

Crellmoset,

Speculation is not the same as attribution. Nobody is attributing anything to Roddenberry. We are just speculating!

crellmoset

Report this Jun. 14 2013, 5:59 pm

I suppose you're right. I really have no idea if he would have liked them, but I'm sure that he would have liked the paycheck.

Ethics are arbitrary.

AtoZ2

Report this Jun. 18 2013, 7:54 pm

Yeah, Gene would have liked it.
He was always all for a future reinvention of TOS..he even sort of for saw it.

2takesfrakes

Report this Jun. 20 2013, 5:23 pm

Gene Roddenberry, having created
The Next Generation, his STAR TREK
masterpiece, would certainly have
felt that he already fulfilled his own,
personal vision of a utopian future,
via this versatile franchise! He would be
very generous and forgiving of any of the
perceived shortcomings of the reboot ...

He'sDeadJim6400

Report this Jun. 20 2013, 6:20 pm

[quote]

EDIT: Ninja'd by stovokor.

[/quote]

Roddenberry created Star Trek to tell INTELLIGENT Stories about the human condition, not have the Enterprise be occupied by a bunch of immature imbeciles with absolutely no clue as to what to do and no story, Roddenberry being an intelligent man would have nothing to do with the mess JJ Abrams ccreated.

Greatness comes to those who really want to do anything to get it.

willowtree

Report this Jun. 21 2013, 5:30 am

Quote: He'sDeadJim6400 @ Jun. 20 2013, 6:20 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Here's another GR quote, though unfortunately I don't know the source or when he said it.

>"I've often thought that, having reached this point, it would be fun to go back to the years where Kirk first got the Enterprise and met these people. Nothing would please me more than to see Star Trek come back in the future with bright young people and new stars and so on. Really make it something. And have them say, "That's better than Roddenberry's." I'd like that."

>Does it really matter, though? He created Star Trek to make money. If he were alive today he'd be thrilled at how successful the new movies are.

>EDIT: Ninja'd by stovokor.

exactly. Roddenberry created Star Trek to talk about the current political events of the time. The mask of being a sci fi show was the only way he could have done it at the time. Like the aliens where one had the right side of their face whie and the left black, and the other guy had the right side of their face black and the left side white. That was a commentary on the current racial struggle at that time. THAT was te point of Star Trek

Users browsing this forum: sonofspock1