Total dis-service for Reunion

pb03

Report this Jun. 01 2013, 6:50 pm

moralcompass

Report this Jun. 01 2013, 9:31 pm

Quote:

Ok so I drove in from the northern side of Milwaukee, big time hyped up for everything from today's events and a lot of other fans were excited for the reunion show.... but WTF was that all about doing a Q & A panel series????!!!! Most of these guys have been doing that all day long since 9 am!!! This was supposed to be a LIVE performance, a skit or comedy or just something of a "performance" not this same old crazy questions from the audience deal. Come on people, if u wanted to know that stuff then just look it up on You- tube and get the info from previous conventions!!!! Gets pretty bad when several members of the audience even walk out cause they were let down!!! I want to be connected to the people in charge of running the convention & demanding my hard earned $$ to be refunded!!!! I offer a suggestion to all future convention ticket holders for upcoming reunion shows... sell those tickets now because it's not worth it!!! I respect the stars and was cool to see them all together again, but if the Chicago Tribune was even reporting this was to be a LIVE show then that's what it should have been. Sorry, one unhappy camper here! I'm even going on a limb this may be the last convention I ever attend for Creation! I spent enough on autographs, my preferred seat ( which wasn't even the best viewing to begin with) & then to be let down from tonight!!! You're better off just re-watching the series and being content with that than spending hard earned money that could go elsewhere!! Ok I'm done ranting now. Marina we all love you and don't take this personally, but your a feisty young woman and please say something on our behalf that you yourself had a long day and would have wanted something fun to do maybe, don't you agree??

Hopefully more people didn't get the perception you did, because I had never attended a trek convention before and this was my first one. I thought it was absolutely amazing. I was in the fourth row and had a blast. I've seen the videos on YouTube so I pretty much knew what to expect going in and even with that said, I thoroughly enjoyed it and pretty much had physical pain because I was laughing so hard.

If you came in here expecting the guys to give some pre-planned skit or something, you are not really aware of how they work. The magic is seeing the cast get together and improvise, take audience questions and make their own thing out of it. To me the improvisational nature of seeing these 7 people work together opened up a whole new dimension unlike anything we've ever seen with any cast on TV before and that is way more valuable (and speaks to the talent of these people) than some scripted thing. I challenge you to find any cast on TV that could come back 25 years after they started, long after their disbandment, and have such good chemistry and rapport with each other. It's simply unheard of. I think "the performance" was basically the way they were able to take poor unsuspecting souls' questions and turn them into a completely unrelated discussion on the most random topic 5 minutes later. The banter is priceless, and the hijinks are great.

I can't wait for people to see the YouTube videos (that will inevitably come). All I have to say is I've never laughed harder at ass jokes in my life. Marina Sirtis completely stole the show and deserves credit for starting this, the evening's "meme" if you will.

willowtree

Report this Jun. 03 2013, 10:37 am

you're not supposed to record at conventions so there really shouldn't be any videos. If you're caught they remove you from the convention so be careful recording

I love the Q&A pannels. I've been to many cons and there's always a question that you can tell by the actor's reaction that they've neve heard before. Yes they get asked the same questions many times but once in a while you see them go wow that's a good question let me think

klwilbur

Report this Jun. 04 2013, 6:58 pm

willowtree

Report this Jun. 05 2013, 10:42 am

Quote: klwilbur @ Jun. 04 2013, 6:58 pm

>What kind of skit/show were you expecting?  I can't imagine them actually getting up there and doing something rehearsed...what would they do?

>I don't mind the Q/A because it is really bogus anyway.  The questions are rarely answered and if they are it is usually with a joke.  The questions are really just a spark to get the actors rolling on their personal stories that often go far from where the question started.

>Case in point is the Frakes/Spiner appearance.  That is how every appearance should have been...completely imrov, spontaneous and hilarious.  Dorn/Sirtus was similar.  It only really got boring with Gates and with Burton.  But there personalities aren't really suited for this type of stuff so I'm not too hard on them.

klwilbur

Report this Jun. 05 2013, 11:34 am

Quote: willowtree @ Jun. 05 2013, 10:42 am

>We must have been going to different conventions then. The dozens of Q&A pannels that I've seen have been anything but bogus. Occasionally someone will ask a silly question that's been asked a thousand times before, but most of the time the questions are thoughtful and intelligent and the actors give great answers

Well in in all fairness, this was my first convention so it may have been a fluke.  I'm not saying the questions were necessarily "silly."  There were very few completely ridiculous questions.  There were also very few really thoughtful questions.  Most fell in the middle.  A lot of the questions were clearly meant to ingratiate the questioner with the cast member...questions about causes or obscure projects or interests that have nothing to do with Star Trek.  It was almost like someone looked the actor up on Wikipedia and then asked questions based off of what they found.

But I am totally cool with that.  Because I don't think the questions are important and from what I saw, neither did the actors.  They just used them as a doorway to share more interesting stories or tell jokes.  And I find that much more interesting than just dry answers to dry questions.