Can't Believe How Good TNG Is...

2takesfrakes

Report this May. 27 2013, 6:48 pm

STAR TREK: The Next Generation
is probably Gene Roddenberry's
closest approximation to his
Utopian Vision. All of the
ingredients are there, in
abundance. And his stamp
is all over it ...

Best of all: this show is
Great Entertainment!!!

JazzTNG

Report this Jun. 03 2013, 11:53 am

All of the Star Trek series and films have, in my opinion, offered something of value but TNG is definitely my favorite of the Trek universe. Of course, the greater ideas of Roddenberry are there and there were many great stories told over the course of the series - but I simply think that the characters and the actors that defined those characters are a cut above everything else in the Star Trek. With few exceptions, every episode is engaging and entertaining because we get to see these great characters in action no matter what they are up to.

So, five-card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit....

Pooneil

Report this Jun. 12 2013, 9:59 pm

willowtree

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 5:33 am

TNG is probably what TOS would have been if they had the technolgy and the budget

But I think that the TNG characters are a little dull, they're always perfect, always do the right thing

miklamar

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 10:37 am

Quote: Pooneil @ Jun. 12 2013, 9:59 pm

>TOS was the rough draft. TNG was the refined product. Everything since then has been a faded copy.

I agree, although the following series filled out the background of the Federation and the rest of the quadrant.

Pooneil

Report this Jun. 15 2013, 9:13 am

Quote: miklamar @ Jun. 13 2013, 10:37 am

Quote: Pooneil @ Jun. 12 2013, 9:59 pm

The background of the Federation and the rest of the quadrant means so little to me, I can't even begin to explain. DS9 and Enterprise were all about filling in the gaps in the canon, and not actually creating anything new. Star Trek has been updated, copied, transcribed, reiterated, and rebooted so many times that it's turned a science fiction franchise into a historical document.

2takesfrakes

Report this Jun. 16 2013, 5:57 pm

I just wanted to throw in that I think the fact
that TNG's cast liked eachother so much and got
along so well did go a long way towards projecting
that same kind of raport between the characters.
I see them all liking eachother and working well
together and I totally believe they're like that.
The marriage of reality and fantasy did much ...
And ladies of The Next Generation are the hottest!
Well ... Whoppie doesn't really do anything for me. But
Guinan's friendship with Picard does! It turned out great!

Sora

Report this Jun. 18 2013, 10:16 am

Hey there's nothing wrong with loving TNG. TNG is a great series! It's not my number 1 favorite, it's actually number 3 on my ranking, but I love all 5 series ALOT! TNG is fantastic cause it brought Star Trek back super strong and planted all the seeds for Deep Space Nine and Voyager, which are my top 2 series!

2takesfrakes

Report this Jun. 18 2013, 5:03 pm

STAR TREK: The Next Generation is the best of this
franchise. It's so satisfying on so many levels and
it has so much on offer. I continue to be impressed
with Gene Roddenberry's expression of the future ...
which is a little less ... primative ... than what came before!
It boasts the most memorable episodes in all of STAR TREK.
And there is something in it for everybody - it's a good sensation.

Sora

Report this Jun. 18 2013, 6:56 pm

Yeah TNG is great, but I like DS9 and Voyager a tad bit better myself. The characters in both shows feel a little more human to me. And TNG feels like "another day at the office" so to speak, and the Deep Space Nine station after awhile began to feel like a home to me. I liked that they stayed in one place. And Voyager with it pretty being a fairly small science vessal, it had a smaller crew than TNG, and with them being cut off from Starfleet, Voyager also feels more cozy to me somehow, more than the Enterprise does. And the crew felt more like a family to me than any of the series.

But I do love TNG's very strong moral stories. Those are fantastic! I also enjoy it when TNG does the creepy errie style episodes as well.

2takesfrakes

Report this Jul. 01 2013, 6:41 pm

I have been preaching to the choir,
here on the boards of startrek.com
for a couple good years about the virtues of
STAR TREK: The Next Generation ...
Saying the same things that NEED to be said,
again and again - with FIERCE conviction!

Vulcan merchant

Report this Jul. 01 2013, 9:38 pm

It was by far a most needed and craved series for the 80´s of Reagan and the 90´s of Bush, since it turned eyes into the possibility that one does not need to hoard money for personal fullfillment. Still, I think that the characters are products of their time, the series is, as mentioned by willowtree, by nature a bit dull. The episodes tend to be to obvious and everyone is above every flaw. It is a little too preachy for my taste. And I love preachers, hell, I even love to preach myself. I find DS9 and Voyager to have the right ammount of action that is needed; I even loved Enterprise, when it came out I was so eager to see the newest episode. TNG is a jewel of its time, but it is difficult for me to keep up interest throughout an entire episode nowadays. Still it outstakes most TV productions made in the 80´s or 90´s. The important part is, that in TNG we not only had a hit series that made the future of the franchise a golden one (untill now), but we had a group of people that (even if soapy and somehow a bit redudant) showed us contemporary teenagers that it was not our egos and our sense of being individual and special we should build up and cultivate but rather our compassion, our sence of truth, our open mind and our sense for justice, making it a fun and aducative ride for everyone who watched. Hence it will always have a special place in my heart.

SAVEGUARD THE FUTURE OF STAR TREK!

JoCat

Report this Jul. 01 2013, 10:29 pm

I liked TNG very well. It was this series that caused me to become a fan of Star Trek. I have alot of favorite episodes in this series. What is just amazing about Star Trek in general is that it has everything from intense drama, lots of sci fy action, humor, some romance, tragedy,epic battles, stories of friendship, adventure, and at times, a hint of musical talant. There is just no other series or movie franchise that can compare. And I think that is also why the fan base is so large and so diverse.

starfan97

Report this Jul. 06 2013, 3:36 pm

The only thing I don't like about TNG is that the characters have a very sterile personalities. They are all kind of similiar, except Data.

2takesfrakes

Report this Aug. 13 2013, 2:33 am

"STERILE" personalities, my dimpled ass!!!
Are you just quoting Absent Opinion, for
never having watched the show?! TNG has
personality AND to spare ... unfortunately,
there are those who prefer infighting among
characters to serve as drama for their T.V.
shows. But Gene's vision was that the future
of Humanity contains a hopeful message: ALL
of Mankind will make peace with one another!
To serve its collective Humanity ...