Trekkies 2 - terminology question

kevinflynn

Report this May. 24 2013, 9:21 am

Ok so in the first Trekkies my favorite person interviewed was Gabriel Koerner. (I love the phone part. "Peter this is the worst possible time you could have called! GO AWAY!  Okay bye")

He said "I don't get into the whole Trekkie/Trekker debacle"

What is the debacle?

there seems to be a lot of heat on this and I am wondering if anyone really knows because I get so many different answers. And please don't show off how clever you are by bringing up hiking. You're just going to make me pigeon hole you as a starbucks drinking, apple bragging know-it-all who's actually clueless and thinks more of themselves than what's really the sum of their parts.

This was always my thinking over the years.

When I first became a trek fan (I am 42 and TOS was my initial introduction to Gene's writing.)

I thought Trekkie was just an earlier version of expressing "A devoted Star Trek fan"

Then Trekker came out later and was just an updated term.

Later I thought it was this:

Trekkie "A devoted TOS fan"

Trekker "A devoted TNG/DS9/VOY fan" (any one or all three)

Now from watching Trekkers 2 it seems that some find one term insulting and vice versa...

I personally was never offended when donning my Data getup with "Hey, you one of those Trekkies?"

I've never felt the need to correct them and say "No, I'm one of those Trekkers"

and  Gene Roddenberry corrected an audience member (per Trekkies2) and said "NO It's Trekkie, I should know, I invented the concept."

SO... what's the REAL scoop. (I already know there's a smart @$$ who's going to bring up hiking)

My own take is this, there are two kinds of people (some fans of star trek some not) those who see a star trek fan and laugh at it and try to be insulting and see it as bad/loser/etc.  and there are those (some are fans some not) who see a star trek fan and really don't think much of it or even appreciate the level of enthusiasm.

I have friends that can't understand me going to a convention let alone having a uniform.

"that's taking it too far" but I always felt "too far" was relative.

Too you and me, WACO was "too far" but to Lee Harvey Oswald, it wasn't far enough.

Me personally, I am always amazed/facinated/intrigued at the length some fans will go and the hard work and money they put into their hobby.  I find it very impressive some of the quality I see in outfits or parts of their homes, etc.

I see a lot of talent.  I don't understand why that's something that comes under fire or receives snide feedback.

Anyhow so the short is, what is the TRUE difference between the two?

Who would I petition (paramount, federation association, etc) to modify and establish a published doumented definition of those two terms?

Maybe we can end it by using the two meanings I mistook this whole time.

Trekkie:TOS

Trekker:After TOS

and you can be both obviously... now neither would be "bad" or offensive.

I didn't want to post this, I really wanted to comment on an existing er vs ie thread but this site closes threads literally minutes after they are up

Pooneil

Report this May. 24 2013, 6:10 pm

I was taught in school that a Trekkie was a devoted fan, while a Trekker was a casual fan.

But I've also been told that Trekkie is a name created by non-fans, and that Trekker is the name the fans prefer. But that could be out of date.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 24 2013, 9:37 pm

Trekkie ends with E

Trekker ends with R

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Pooneil

Report this May. 24 2013, 10:00 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ May. 24 2013, 9:37 pm

>I don't generally get into it either. But here's my take on what the primary difference must be:

>Trekkie ends with E

>Trekker ends with R

Good catch, OtakuJo. At the risk of being clever, one might also point out that they're pronounced differently.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 24 2013, 10:05 pm

Yes that is true.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

kevinflynn

Report this May. 24 2013, 10:12 pm

Wow, I almost died of shock!!

Haha.. well you guys out smarted me on this one!! wow... I better go back to class...

in the mean time, feel like actually contributing an answer to the question? Or just living out the mathmatical probabilities today?

It's not like I am paying anyone money for this so I understand if you only came here to amuse yourselves.  I wish I were clever like that but unfortunately I've devoted myself to being equal to others.

Thanks Pon! I also have seen that. (trekkie is a bully manufactured term and intended to insult)

One thing I do know for certain based on documentation, Trekkie was around before Trekker.

In a utopian Trek universe this thread would have been absent this reply and the previous 3...

Btw you two, there was ZERO risk of being clever, it was a foregone conclusion before I hit submit the first time...

OtakuJo

Report this May. 24 2013, 10:26 pm

Basically it's just another way of saying that I don't think there really is a quantifiable difference in meaning between the two terms. Whatever difference there (maybe) once was has become so lost to the multiple interpretations that in all practical ways, "Trekkie" and "Trekker" are pretty much synonyms.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

entropyman

Report this May. 25 2013, 8:30 am

Agreed. I think the term Trekker came about as a result of some Trek fans resenting the term Trekkie, which had become slightly derogatory by that time. We're so far from then however, I don't think most fans care.

Pooneil

Report this May. 25 2013, 9:09 am

Sorry, kevinflynn. At least no one's mentioned hiking yet.

willowtree

Report this May. 25 2013, 2:12 pm

kevinflynn

Report this May. 25 2013, 5:17 pm

Yeah I mentioned that in my one post (about Gene) So it seems that it's two things.

1)Trekkies is simply the first one to be used and Trekkers definitely came later

2)The major concensous is that to a person who admits being a Trekker, they feel "Trekker" to them is a fan and that Trekkie is a fan gone too far.  To a Trekkie, they are basically the same but that Trekkers tend to be more ashamed of their interest and even come off as snobs

Thanks guys, I was looking to see if my internal assumption was accurate and it was way off.

I honestly thought it was Trekkie was TOS and Trekker was after TOS.

Yeah after hearing all of this I am a Trekkie for certain.  So essentially Trekkers are insecure fans.

A bit ironic, isn't it?

By the way, I wasn't really all that hot about the hiker/E,R thing.  I basically knew I was somewhat inciting it by bringing it up in my initial post!

There's actually a decent chance it wouldn't have happened if I didn't mention it. haha...

It's similar to when you go to a magic convention and ask someone "Hey do you know that trick?"

and they say "Hookers turn tricks, I know illusions"

So if we wanted to webster this thing:

TREKKIE: A person, typically groups of people, who are serious fans involving the Star Trek series of television shows. These are people who not only watch the show but share in the interest outside of show viewing.

TREKKER: A closet Trekkie, and whos majority seem to bear contempt for TREKKIES.

bunkey

Report this May. 27 2013, 10:54 am

Quote: willowtree @ May. 25 2013, 2:12 pm

>Gene Roddenberry himself came up with the term Trekkie. There's a famous story where at a convention Gene referred to fans as Trekkies and someone in the audience shouted, no it's trekker, and Gene responded with ""No, it's 'Trekkies.' I should know — I invented the thing."

>anyway the way I see it is that anyone who likes any of the series of Star Trek is a trekkie

>Trekkers are people who are embarrased to be called trekkies, to me there is a tone of snobishness about the term trekker

I second this. TrekkERS get mad when you call them TrekkIES but not vice versa.

Personally, I'm okay with either title. I call myself a Trekkie because in all honestly, I like the way it sounds better.  The "ie" ending sounds more fun, like kiddie, monkey or puppy.

Sarcasm is my native language.
JJ Abrams is not of the body.

kevinflynn

Report this May. 27 2013, 9:34 pm

I agree. It sounds better.

"he's a trekkie" you can pick up on that. It sounds more like what it is.

Trekker just doesn't ring star trek fan.

Trekkie sounds like a fan/interest title.  When I hear "He's a trekker" it sounds like that's what he does.

like "He's a doctor" or similar.

Btw, if you watch the first trekkies movie, Janeway is interviewed (Kate Mulgrew) and she defines it as

the trekkie is static, sitting there. The trekker is moving.. (I assume follows conventions?)

it's funny if you watch it.. A main character actor on Voyager and she knows not of the trekkie/trekker debackal... (Gabriel's pronounciation! haha.. if you watch Trekkies 2 he talks about "Debackal"