A Definitive List of Star Trek Series Rankings

CountJohn

Report this May. 23 2013, 8:30 pm

EDIT-I meant ratings. That's what happens when I make a big thread late at night.

It's below the list of inflation adjusted movie grosses. I wish they had lines on the charts to show us when seasons begin and end, but it's still interesting. TOS isn't included here because you can't really compare its ratings to the other shows.

Some thoughts-

TNG did a much better job hanging on to its audience than all of the others and is the only Trek series to finish with a bigger audience than it had when it started. You could say that the hype behind TNG when it started, thanks to the success of the TOS movies, gave it an advantage, but all the other series had major hype when they began too (you may notice on the graph that the Ds9 series premier is the highest rated modern Trek episode) and quickly dropped off, which didn't happen to TNG. TNG may have also had an advantage because it seemed fresher (with Trek having not been on TV for so long) and was the only Trek show on TV for most of its run. But again, Ds9 and Voyager didn't have ratings problems when they started, despite those factors not being in place. In my opinion, TNG has the best "batting average" of all the series (percentage of good/great shows, average/filler shows, and duds) and was very episodic in nature, meaning that casual fans could tune in every other week and be confident that the show would be solid and that they'd be able to follow what was going on. TNG also had such great, archtypical, characters, like Picard, Data, and Worf that people have always enjoyed seeing in stories, in contrast to the more eccentric characters on Ds9.

Now, Enterprise might be the one show that you could say didn't have a chance. The pilot got good ratings, but the first season was essentially picking up where the last seasons of Voyager and Ds9 left off in terms of ratings. It actually did a better job of hanging on to its audience through four seasons than either Ds9 or Voyager.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 24 2013, 2:37 am

Quote: CountJohn @ May. 23 2013, 8:30 pm

>You can't say that Ds9 and Voyager didn't get a fair shot. The external reasons such as lack of novelty don't really fly in my opinion, for the reasons stated above. They just didn't have that "something" that made people turn in to TNG week after week. I'm obviously not saying that that "objectively" makes TNG better than both of those shows (although it is my no. 2 seris behind TOS) but there was clearly something different about its content that resulted in its higher ratings, and I'd like to figure out what that was.

DS9 and Voyager both came out hot on the heels of TNG, when people may have been simply tired of having three recent Star Trek shows. It's not their quality that would have failed to draw people at the time, but rather the timing. Both probably would have done much better if they had been given a year or two of "breathing space". If there is anything more suited to television about TNG's content -- it was most likely its episodic nature. Story arcs such as those found on DS9 work much better (very well, actually) on a DVD medium.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

kevinflynn

Report this May. 24 2013, 9:50 am

Yeah Q and the Borg are about the only over-arching plot mechanisms in TNG.

Personally to me it's like asking what's your favorite car.  That's just way too hard. I think like the car analogy the series can suit a particular need.

I like a convertible but not in the winter.  I like a rugged offroad truck but not on the street.

I am a huge fan of high performance sports cars but not their price, etc...

So if I had to pick, TNG. I like that the most. (but I have yet to see the dominion episodes in DS9 which I hear are awesome) I would never give up TOS though.  The time period, the production value (or lack of) and of course the people... Those elements are completely absent in the post TOS era.  So if I am really in the mood for that whole cast dynamic element I watch TOS.  If I want to really get into an episode and enjoy it's story and effects, etc. then TNG.

I have to admit, TNG did a much better job of cast involvement than DS9 or VOY.

I do however agree with Sheldon. Wheaton is the jar jar of the trek universe.

(Mods, I don't think I can emphasize nearly to the magnitude that I despise the use of captcha post registration. Truly I love nothing more than typing posts more than once. Don't know about you but I have time to burn.)

bunkey

Report this May. 24 2013, 11:33 am

One problem I had with DS9 and VOY, and it wasn't the fault of the writers, is that when they aired, they were opposite of each other.

The syndication in my area was on two different channels and they would air them at the same time.  This was preDVR obviously, so I chose DS9.

kevinflynn

Report this May. 24 2013, 12:52 pm

Oh man, that's horrible. Yeah so basically you had to pick each week which show to MISS. I mean "DVR" was junk back then so you really didn't have that as a viable option. You'd think the networks would get it together on those two particular programs.  Matlock and CSI, I get it, you really can't guess the best slots because you don't know the following as clearly but those two? That's a no brainer.

By the way, I have a new practice now with posting on startrek.com.

I use notepad to type my posts. I think it's the most retarded thing to have captcha AFTER registration let alone EVERY post. Even Youtube doesn't do captcha until you've like posted 10 times within 5 minutes.

AND if you GET IT WRONG which is REALLY easy to do, it KEEPS what you typed.

Here it ERASES IT!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!! very VERY frustrating. So now I don't even waste my time using the board to post. I use notepad and copy and paste.

bunkey

Report this May. 24 2013, 1:20 pm

Yeah, it used to get me very angry. Especially because I was working retail and wasn't always home to begin with at night, so it's not like I could have taped one and watched the other.  I would just tape DS9 because I was already into the show when VOY started, so DS9 won.

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra, FleetAdmiral_BamBam