Boycotting Into Darkness does nothing but hurt the future of Star Trek

Bangtuff

Report this May. 21 2013, 3:39 pm

It saddens me to hear about all of the people refusing to go see Into Darkness because it does not fit their definition of what "real" Star Trek is.  If Into Darkness is not as successful as Paramount hopes it will be, it will not make the execs. at Paramount say "let's make Star Trek in a different way" (as some people seem to believe will happen).  Instead, the result of poor box office returns would cause Paramount to scrap the Star Trek franchise and move on to other things.  It's not cynical, just realistic.  Maybe Into Darkness isn't exactly like any other Star Trek adventure before it, but isn't that the point of Star Trek... to go where no one has gone before?  Star Trek has gone through many different incarnations over the years, from Robert Wise and company's vision for The Motion Picture, to Nicholas Meyer's for Wrath of Khan, to the entirely new cast of characters of The Next Generation and later series.  I am an optimist, and feel that Star Trek still has a lot of life left in it, but that's only if we, the fans, will support Into Darkness and (hopefully) future Star Trek projects.  For me, it's a treat to be able to see Star Trek in a theater, and I just hope that others who are hesitant would keep an open mind and give Into Darkness a try.

wissa

Report this May. 21 2013, 3:45 pm

I don't think people should go see a movie because it has the title Star Trek and they are obligated to do so, but I do wish they would stop dumping all over thier fellow trekkies trying to ruin it for them.  Every incarnation of trek had it's detractors.  Why not go talk about some aspect of trek that you do like.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

crellmoset

Report this May. 21 2013, 4:24 pm

Ethics are arbitrary.

2takesfrakes

Report this May. 21 2013, 4:43 pm

Back when the TOS cast was ALL
of STAR TREK that even existed,
fans protested the death of Spock
in STAR TREK II: The Wrath of Khan,
vehemently! They threatened to
boycott the movie, carried on badly
about it, endlessy. AND ... this was
back when the fans still had Gene
and some influence! But, guess what?
Paramount went ahead and killed Spock,
anyway. Again, this was back when Trek
fans were all that was keeping this franchise
afloat. Of course, now, that movie is revered.
So much for this fan protest business ... lol

Icarus14

Report this May. 21 2013, 5:53 pm

I don't appreciate ranting people that call themselves fans. To express one's opinion is one thing, but to blatantly shoot down everything about the new reboot is awful. Personally I love the new reboot just as much as the original series and the original movies. Ranting about something does no one good, if anything it only encourages others to not give the movie a chance. So please (for all those ranters) save the ranting until after you've actually seen the movie and given it a chance. If you still don't like it, give out constructive criticism.

"Only one, Human captain, ever survived the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you, are in front of me. If you value your lives, then be somewhere else." Delenn.

DS9_FOREVER!

Report this May. 21 2013, 6:22 pm

Everyone should go see it at least once.

Then they can come here and complain about it.

I just found this great Star Trek MB!!  photo ac1685424929087bf1b7e7e0d734f861.jpg

bunkey

Report this May. 21 2013, 6:33 pm

Quote: crellmoset @ May. 21 2013, 4:24 pm

>Listen to Patton Oswalt's Skycake rant. The pretentious ranting on these boards brings it to mind.

Because Patton Oswalt's TOTALLY above nerd fan rage.  Riiiiiiight.. And has never complained about nerdy reboots:

Sarcasm is my native language.
JJ Abrams is not of the body.

crellmoset

Report this May. 21 2013, 7:22 pm

Quote: bunkey @ May. 21 2013, 6:33 pm

Quote: crellmoset @ May. 21 2013, 4:24 pm

How delightfully fallacious of you. His own susceptibility to nerd rage is irrelevant when considering Skycake's relevance to the unbalanced pouting on this forum.

Ethics are arbitrary.

fireproof78

Report this May. 21 2013, 9:15 pm

I think we can all agree that we are all susceptible to nerd rage

Pooneil

Report this May. 21 2013, 9:33 pm

I saw the 2009 movie, and it gave me a headache. If that's the future of Star Trek I want nothing to do with it. So if I don't go see the movie, will JJ Abrams retire and leave me alone?

rocketscientist

Report this May. 21 2013, 10:26 pm

Y'know, I don't think people should feel obligated to spend money to see a movie they just are not interested to see, ST fans or not.  I mean, I didn't watch ENT.  I gave it a few episodes and if completely failed to catch my interest.  It probably was no worse than, and possibly better than, VOY but at that point I was so burned out on B & B ST that I just could not get into ENT.

Abrams ST09 was just great, warts and all.  Yeah, there are some things I wished they had done differently in the film, but, on the whole, I loved it, primarily because I really felt it captured what I loved about TOS all over again.  That feel, or tone, was something that I had missed for a long time.  I was glad to see those characters reborn so well.

So, just like me with ENT, I don't blame any other fans of other parts of the franchise for sitting STID out, particularly if they saw ST09 and disliked it.  IMO, it'd be foolish and irrational of them to spend their money and time to see something they know they won't like.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 21 2013, 10:27 pm

Oh, I dunno. Going to see a movie or not to see a movie was, is, and remains a matter of choice. Don't like it, don't watch it -- and that's always been fine. The only thing is I think if people are undecided is not to listen too much to reviews and so on, but if you go along at least once, you can decide for yourself whether you like it or not.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

OtakuJo

Report this May. 22 2013, 1:51 am

Quote: fireproof78 @ May. 21 2013, 9:15 pm

>I think we can all agree that we are all susceptible to nerd rage

A little nerd rant can be a lot of fun too. Just don't take it too seriously.

But then you can't have a really decent nerd-rant about the JJAbrams movies without at least seeing them.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Somniac

Report this May. 22 2013, 3:54 am

I've been to see it and to be honest, I think Trek's time is gone. There is no room in modern culture for optimism and a positive view of the future. Into Darkness says TPTB know this. Trek always been about hope  that humankind can elevate itself to something better, free of selfishness, greed and ignorance.

I am 61 years old and for me in 2013, that hope is dead.

Successful SF in the cinema these days iseither  about personal power, dominance and might. (Avengers, Ironman etc) or it is Dystopian.

I would rather see it end.

What other people think of you is none of your business.

E!!i

Report this May. 22 2013, 4:03 am

I have to say I first had the same meaning that it isn't the "real" Star Trek and didn't want to watch the new movies but my boyfriend forced me to do it and now I'm really happy I did it and I can only recommend everybody to do the same!

Users browsing this forum: wissa