Anyone feel Into Darkness was short?

Xaero

Report this May. 16 2013, 4:27 pm

I felt like the movie was to short for some reason.  Maybe "The Hobbit" spoiled me on long movies?  That was the last movie I saw and was about 30 minutes longer than Trek Into Darkness.

Outside of it feeling short and Gene Roddenberry rolling in his grave I thought it was a good movie.  They may of over done some of the head nods to the past too (including previous nu-trek movie ones).  Focus more on moving forward in the new timeline!

Vger23

Report this May. 16 2013, 5:06 pm

No, in some ways, I actually thought it might be a little too LONG.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this May. 16 2013, 5:44 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ May. 16 2013, 5:06 pm

>It was very dense. There was a lot going on, and it was very fast-paced. I think that made it feel "short."

I agree with this is was action after action so that made it fly by. They didn't really stop too often to breathe.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Vger23

Report this May. 16 2013, 5:48 pm

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ May. 16 2013, 5:44 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ May. 16 2013, 5:06 pm

I actually thougth they did a masterful job of having meaningful character interactions and some deep themes while not needing to have a confernece in the observation lounge or a pensive 7-minute scene in the Captain's Quarters to accomplish it.

Cool stuff.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

OtakuJo

Report this May. 16 2013, 6:13 pm

2hrs, 10 minutes is pretty average for a long-ish movie. (Not "looooonng" in the sense of LOTR, but still pretty long-ish) I felt that it was not a short movie, but it did pack everything in pretty tightly, chiefly because of the sheer volume of material.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Vger23

Report this May. 16 2013, 7:10 pm

It was definitely dense. There was a lot going on, both thematically and plot-wise.

I'm glad it wasn't some ponderous epic snooze-fest like LOTR...but I'm also glad it wasn't over in 90 minutes, which is what some of the other Trek films felt like at times.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 16 2013, 9:02 pm

Well I would respectfully disagree regarding Lord of the Rings of course.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

DS9 GreenCruiser

Report this May. 17 2013, 1:07 pm

The Hobbit must have spoiled it for you . You should go watch it a 2nd time . Maybe you were enjoying the film so much you did not see the time go . I thought the 2 hours 20 mins or so was perfect for the film . Star Trek 11 aka the 2009 film was too short that film could have done with at least 30 more mins . A 3 hour Star Trek film do would be Awwsome

Fire Disruptors

Somniac

Report this May. 17 2013, 1:41 pm

i thought it felt rushed because of the way it was shot and edited.

I'm not struck on the pseudo-verite style.

I find it remeniscent of music videos or ads. where as much as possible has to be crammed in, in as short a time as possible.

The camera hardly ever settled on anything. No time to breathe.

Nothing is savoured long enough to really understand..as Joni would say.

I watched TSFS today and it was positively majestic by comparison.

PrincessBarbara

Report this May. 18 2013, 10:38 am

Xaero:  I concur with your evaluation.  I have been a life long Trekker, 12 years old when TOS premiered and I had some concerns when Abrams took over the franchise. With Star Trek in 2009, I was initially shocked and appalled, but gave the movie several more viewings in the theater (7 times total) and was finally able to channel my inner Roddenberry.  I was at the sneek peak on 5/15/13 and really looking forward to this film.  I am disappointed and angry. This is not Star Trek.  Snappy one liners do not replace witty dialogue and character interaction, which is a hallmark of Roddenberry Trek. I felt that the story of STID was weak, disjointed. I am especially angry with the way that Kahn, a reveared character since Space Seed in TOS and of course STII: The Wrath of Kahn was violated in STID. Not only the character, but the relationships between Kirk and Kahn and Kirk and Spock. I missed seeing some indepth character development story between the core cast members.  I don't like what Abrams did with the Klingons, or the Romulans in Star Trek. I feel that since Gene Roddenberry passed the torch to others prior to his illness and death that they remained true to his vision. I went to the Paramount Facebook page and begged them to turn the reins of Star Trek over to Jonathan Frakes and Ronald D Moore.  I like the Frakes Trek Films and Moore has been pivotol to STTNG, Star Gate and Battle Star Gallactica.  I don't think that the 3D enhanced STID at all. And I wish that Abrams would place him film dedications at the beginning of the film, not following 20 minutes of post-movie credits.  Gene's dedications always came at the film opening and never detracted from the action. JJ leave Trek alone and concentrate on destroying the Star Wars franchise.  Star Wars devotees won't be any happier with Abrams than many Trekkers are.

megan512

Report this May. 18 2013, 11:46 am

I felt like it was short too. When I left the theater, I was surprised that it was 2 hours and 10 minutes long, because it certainly didn't feel that way to me. If anything, I wish we could have had another 15 or 20 minutes tacked on, but then again, that might have made it too long.

Anyway, I enjoyed Into Darkness very much, and I hope to see it again soon.