Into Darkness - Nod to another series?

duras23

Report this May. 16 2013, 7:53 am

Saw movie last night. Fantastic. Anyone who plans to see movie please pay attention to a certain scene and answer a question for me if you can. (Not a spoiler).

There's a scene in an office and there are models of older spacecraft displayed on a desk (ie Apollo, Space Shuttle etc...). I thought I saw a ship that might've been a nod to another scifi series. Please tell me if you see same thing?

Thanks.

Vger23

Report this May. 16 2013, 8:02 am

I saw the movie last night too. I did not see any such thing. Please elaborate...maybe it will help my memory.

duras23

Report this May. 16 2013, 8:05 am

I'm trying not to give away too much. I'll let the weekend go by first. But was in Admiral's office.

orlandorays

Report this May. 16 2013, 9:08 am

According to TV Tropes, the XCV-330, an early pre-Federation Earth starship that had the name Enterprise, was in the display. It was from Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and has been seen on the Enterprise series as well (it was a Warp 2 vehicle). It dates from 2143. I think that might be what you're referring to.

duras23

Report this May. 16 2013, 9:31 am

No the one I saw is from another series. Sort of along the lines of when they put R2-D2 in that explosion scene in the 2009 Star Trek reboot. I could be wrong. Just want people to keep an eye out and correct me if I am.

duras23

Report this May. 16 2013, 9:58 am

I think it was answered. Found a blog that said its Zefram Cochran's Phoenix from First Contact.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 16 2013, 1:44 pm

I recognised a few real life ships, then the Phoenix, (pretty recognisable from Enterprise series) then a line of others that were clearly Federation ships. But if you say you were thinking of the Phoenix then cool. It's funny how that particular shot was panning across while Adm. Marcus was doing his bit as if to say "Hey look at the pretty little ships!"

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Mitchz95

Report this May. 16 2013, 5:22 pm

According to Memory Alpha, there's a model of an NX class starship (from Star Trek Enterprise) on Admiral Marcus' desk in Into Darkness. That might be what you're talking about.

Vger23

Report this May. 16 2013, 5:46 pm

Mitchz95

Report this May. 17 2013, 6:27 am

Quote: Vger23 @ May. 16 2013, 5:46 pm

>Yeah, I saw the NX-class and I saw the Pheonix. But..neither of those are from other series.

I thought the OP meant a Star Trek series. Oops.

I read a review today, and it said there's a "tip of the hat" to Prometheus. Is that it?

duras23

Report this May. 17 2013, 9:35 am

Quote: Vger23 @ May. 16 2013, 5:46 pm

>Also, I think it's cool to not want to give spoilers away, but I really don't think calling out the name of a model in some guys office would really be considered a "spoiler." I think you're good, dawg.

Thats why I said I thought I saw a ship from a different series then followed up with a correction. Process.

Doesn't matter what you or I think is a spoiler. No need to mention it for those who want to see it.

Ensign Moran

Report this May. 18 2013, 9:38 am

Yes, I was actually thinking that when I left the theater. Hopefully another movie, and maybe another series? That would be fantastic. The way it ended with the classic "it's five year mission" really set the stage for another series.

We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Jammerjonn

Report this May. 19 2013, 7:39 am

Mitchz95

Report this May. 19 2013, 9:35 am

Quote: Jammerjonn @ May. 19 2013, 7:39 am

>I'm new here so please excuse my stupid question," Is this new movie series going to be a totally new run or are they planing to figure out how to get the timeline we all know back on track"? I really enjoy these new ones but I've been a big fan since the first episode of Star Trek. Gene never wanted a series to go more than 7 years..........

The intention of the writers is that the original timeline still exists; the new one is a parallel universe that co-exists with it. So there's actually nothing to fix, and the writers of the new movies are free to develop their story however they wish.

Welcome to ST.com!