ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Brannon Braga calls lack of gay Star Trek characters 'a shame'

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46302

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 8:57 am

Quote: willowtree @ Jul. 15 2013, 8:09 am

>

>On the subject of kids....

>They are like sponges, they absorb everything they see and hear around them whether or not you realize it. And the majority of what they see and hear comes from the parents.

>it is likely that young kids will have a friend or know of someone who is the child of a same sex couple. Kids should be taught from an early age about same sex couples, the same way they're tauht about hetero couples. They should be taught that familes come in all different shapes and sizes and that none of them are wrong, and that no child that comes from any family is wrong. This is something parents/caregviers should be teaching their kids.  Kids should be taught tolerance from as young of an age as possible.

>
And what about freedom of religion?  Morality?  What happens when these state that sex outside of the marriage of one man and one woman is wrong?  (Addressing all forms, not just LGBT.)

rocketscientist

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 10054

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 9:08 am

Quote: willowtree @ Jul. 15 2013, 8:09 am

>

>On the subject of kids....

>They are like sponges, they absorb everything they see and hear around them whether or not you realize it. And the majority of what they see and hear comes from the parents.

>it is likely that young kids will have a friend or know of someone who is the child of a same sex couple. Kids should be taught from an early age about same sex couples, the same way they're tauht about hetero couples. They should be taught that familes come in all different shapes and sizes and that none of them are wrong, and that no child that comes from any family is wrong. This is something parents/caregviers should be teaching their kids.  Kids should be taught tolerance from as young of an age as possible.

>


My kids will be taught tolerance, just as I was. 


That said, again, I'll defer to their mother's judgement, since she has a PhD in child psychology, on when and how the subject of gay marriage, homosexuality, etc. will be brought up.  If she has a problem with the way the school is doing that, my kids will be taken out of school that day. 


 


KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

rocketscientist

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 10054

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 9:18 am

And you can't make a rational argument, period.


Actually, Catholic.Fan's posts have struck me as being very rational and level-headed.



Seriously though, what would you call someone who believes the world is only 6000 years old despite all scientific evidence to the contrary?


Probably, very religious.  And why does anyone care if someone believes the world is only 6000 years old.  As long as its not taught in public schools (and it's not taught in parochial schools either), who cares? 


I mean, I'm not even trying to be insulting,


Of course you are.  If you want to deny your real intentions, try more subtlety next time.  Don't be so obvious. 


I just can't think of a nicer term than "willfully ignorant." Naive doesn't quite fit because it's not like you're just spouting off about something you're not informed about, you have the information but you are choosing to ignore it. That is willful ignorance.


This is you being insulting. 


As for being bigots, I haven't seen anyone but Christians argue against a gay character on Star Trek.


I'm a Catholic and I've argued for a gay character in Star Trek.  I've watched several TV shows with gay characters, including 6 Feet Under, NYPD Blue, Glee, and Modern Family.


And FYI, over 60% of American Catholics are for secular gay marriage.  Also, the Church of LDS endorsed the Boy Scouts resolution to allow openly gay scouts in their organization. 


Just because your Christian doesn't mean you hate gays.  Heck, the Episcopal Church has gay priests and bishops!


So, if anyone sounds like a bigot, it's you (and a couple of others).  


Dr. H


 


KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

bunkey

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 686

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 9:26 am

Hmm.... so let's get this straight.... You have an opinion and decide to call it "fact" and attack someone that disagrees with you without provocation.  So much for tolerance and diversity.  Looks like you're incapable of having a rational discussion.  I really am sorry that you've chosen that path.  Good-bye.


 


Oh I didn't realize calling someone out on a lie was an "attack".  I suppose if I suspect someone is lying  or making up stories I shouldn't say anything lest it hurt their feelings.


Peace out. I hope you put me on your ignore list. I suspect it's a great ego boost for you since you mentioned it in your signature. 


Sarcasm is my native language.
JJ Abrams is not of the body.

willowtree

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1137

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 9:36 am

Quote: rocketscientist @ Jul. 15 2013, 9:08 am

Quote: willowtree @ Jul. 15 2013, 8:09 am

>

>

>On the subject of kids....

>They are like sponges, they absorb everything they see and hear around them whether or not you realize it. And the majority of what they see and hear comes from the parents.

>it is likely that young kids will have a friend or know of someone who is the child of a same sex couple. Kids should be taught from an early age about same sex couples, the same way they're tauht about hetero couples. They should be taught that familes come in all different shapes and sizes and that none of them are wrong, and that no child that comes from any family is wrong. This is something parents/caregviers should be teaching their kids.  Kids should be taught tolerance from as young of an age as possible.

>

My kids will be taught tolerance, just as I was. 

That said, again, I'll defer to their mother's judgement, since she has a PhD in child psychology, on when and how the subject of gay marriage, homosexuality, etc. will be brought up.  If she has a problem with the way the school is doing that, my kids will be taken out of school that day. 

 


I only have a bachelors in psychology and I've worked in a daycare center with young children. IMO, when it can be brought up, well that depends on the child of course, but I think that the same time "regular" marriage comes up is the time to talk about gay marriage too. Here's one kind of marriage, and here's another kind. I think it would be easier to understand if they're talked about together.


I would also pull my kids out of a school if I didn't like the way they taught things. I knew an elementary school that was a public school where they were conducting morning prayers and handing out bibles to the students. If that was where my kid was going they would have been pulled out of there so fast....


But, that dosn't mean I don't want my kids to learn about religion though. My husband and I don't follow any religion at all, and personally I'm an atheist. But, as electives in school I studied several different religions and I found those classes interesting. I especially liked the creation mythologies of several religions. If my kids' school offered classes about religion as electives I would have absolutely no problem with that and might even encourage them to take one or two, just as I would encourage them to study a foreign language.

willowtree

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1137

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 9:43 am

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jul. 15 2013, 8:57 am

Quote: willowtree @ Jul. 15 2013, 8:09 am

>

>

>On the subject of kids....

>They are like sponges, they absorb everything they see and hear around them whether or not you realize it. And the majority of what they see and hear comes from the parents.

>it is likely that young kids will have a friend or know of someone who is the child of a same sex couple. Kids should be taught from an early age about same sex couples, the same way they're tauht about hetero couples. They should be taught that familes come in all different shapes and sizes and that none of them are wrong, and that no child that comes from any family is wrong. This is something parents/caregviers should be teaching their kids.  Kids should be taught tolerance from as young of an age as possible.

>
And what about freedom of religion?  Morality?  What happens when these state that sex outside of the marriage of one man and one woman is wrong?  (Addressing all forms, not just LGBT.)


what about it? if you're religious then teach your child about your relgion, but if they're attending a public school then religion should be kep out of that school. And what about morality? are you saying it's immoral to teach a child to be tolerant of a same sex marriage?

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46302

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 9:51 am

Quote: willowtree @ Jul. 15 2013, 9:43 am

>what about it? if you're religious then teach your child about your relgion, but if they're attending a public school then religion should be kep out of that school. And what about morality? are you saying it's immoral to teach a child to be tolerant of a same sex marriage?
But don't you consider schools, using taxpayer money, teaching anti-religious messages an attack on religion?  And IMO, there's a major difference between teaching "tolerance" and pushing an agenda.  How can a school teach that something is okay when God says it's a sin?  Oh, and some schools are even pushing kids to experiment with the LGBT lifestyle.

crellmoset

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 116

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 9:55 am

The monotheist's wild belief that presenting scientific evidence and describing things as they actually are is an attack on religion never gets old.

Ethics are arbitrary.

crellmoset

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 116

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 9:57 am

"Some schools are even pushing kids to experiment with the LGBT lifestyle."

Citation? Or is this another desperate made up anecdote?

Ethics are arbitrary.

willowtree

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1137

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 9:59 am

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jul. 15 2013, 9:51 am

Quote: willowtree @ Jul. 15 2013, 9:43 am

>

>what about it? if you're religious then teach your child about your relgion, but if they're attending a public school then religion should be kep out of that school. And what about morality? are you saying it's immoral to teach a child to be tolerant of a same sex marriage?
But don't you consider schools, using taxpayer money, teaching anti-religious messages an attack on religion?  And IMO, there's a major difference between teaching tolerance and pushing an agenda.  Some schools are even pushing kids to experiment with the LGBT lifestyle.


I don't believe that schools are teaching anti religious anything


what do you consider pushing an agenda? it seems that you consider saying that same sex marriage is ok to be pushing an agenda


can you please give me an example of a single school where kids are being pushed to experiment with the LGBT lifestyle? this was the most absurd statement in this whole thread


 

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46302

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 10:02 am

Quote: crellmoset @ Jul. 15 2013, 9:55 am

>The monotheist's wild belief that presenting scientific evidence and describing things as they actually are is an attack on religion never gets old.
And it's always interesting how people call an opinion "fact" and provide no scientific evidence.  Or if there is some data, it only shows the part that agrees with their view.


I really like science - it allows me to better understand how God did something....  It's just that we'll never understand it all.

crellmoset

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 116

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 10:11 am

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jul. 15 2013, 10:02 am

Quote: crellmoset @ Jul. 15 2013, 9:55 am

>

>The monotheist's wild belief that presenting scientific evidence and describing things as they actually are is an attack on religion never gets old.
And it's always interesting how people call an opinion "fact" and provide to scientific evidence.  Or if there is some data, it only shows the part that agrees with their view.

I really like science - it allows me to better understand how God did something....  It's just that we'll never understand it all.


A monotheist accusing others of ignoring scientific findings that do not fit with their opinions? The hypocrisy is flowing like a river of pig feces right there.


Ethics are arbitrary.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46302

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 10:14 am

Quote: crellmoset @ Jul. 15 2013, 9:57 am

>"Some schools are even pushing kids to experiment with the LGBT lifestyle." Citation? Or is this another desperate made up anecdote?
You should know that I don't just make up things....


I've seen a few, but the latest one that I heard about is Linden Avenue Middle School... they put on an "anti-bullying presentation" where kids were taught terms like "pansexual" and "genderqueer."  But according to some students, they were instructed to ask each other to kiss students of the same gender.


Now, some "news" places say that it went much further than that, but there's no evidence.  And some places I've read said it never happened at all, but even the school said it happened - they just tried to minimize it.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46302

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 10:19 am

Quote: willowtree @ Jul. 15 2013, 9:59 am

>I don't believe that schools are teaching anti religious anything

>what do you consider pushing an agenda? it seems that you consider saying that same sex marriage is ok to be pushing an agenda

>can you please give me an example of a single school where kids are being pushed to experiment with the LGBT lifestyle? this was the most absurd statement in this whole thread
Really?  When a school teaches something that directly conflicts with a person's religious faith, you don't consider that anti-religious?


correct


see my post above.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46302

Report this Jul. 15 2013, 10:23 am

Quote: crellmoset @ Jul. 15 2013, 10:11 am

>A monotheist accusing others of ignoring scientific findings that do not fit with their opinions? The hypocrisy is flowing like a river of pig feces right there.
I guess I missed what "scientific findings" you're referencing.

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum