Brannon Braga calls lack of gay Star Trek characters 'a shame'

DriaLynn

Report this May. 13 2013, 9:58 am

I found this a bit interesting. I really do think there should have been a few more openly gay characters in Trek. I found most of the comments on this thread appalling though!

starfan97

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 10:28 am

No No No

miklamar

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 10:33 am

There was an androgynous character in TNG.  But, I am glad they didn't have any openly gay stars in the series.

bunkey

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 10:57 am

I find it appalling that so called Star Trek fans are opposed to openly gay characters.  Star Trek promoted acceptance of ALL people.   UGH!  Homophobia is so ridiculous and sickening.

I agree that they could have had same sex couples in Ten Forward, or even had a recurring character be in a same sex relationship.  We saw enough glimpses of home life with Sisko/Kassidy Worf/Dax Paris/B'Elanna  why not have two males or females in a relationship?

Gay people are PEOPLE. They are just like straight people. They deserve to be represented on Star Trek.

chator56

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 11:11 am

Funny Braga saying that as he was executive producer and creator of Enterprise. You mean to tell me he couldn't have invented a gay character? Please, save your self-righteousness Braga. On the other hand, I kinda liked the way Enterprise turned out minus a gay character. Could they not have made Reed gay? I don't think he ever had a romance with a female character in the series, unlike Trip, Archer, Mayweather, even Phlox got some action.

willowtree

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 11:15 am

Braga was in charge of Voyager and Enterprise. He could have put a gay character in.

I don't get why people are opposed to having a gay character. What's wrong with that?

willowtree

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 11:18 am

bunkey

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 11:21 am

Homophobia is one of the last acceptable forms of discrimination, Willowtree. In a hundred years I hope that people look back on this era ad shake their heads at our cultural ignorance.

Yeah I believe there was a scene with Hawk's partner that was cut.

CountJohn

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 11:23 am

Quote: willowtree @ Jun. 13 2013, 11:18 am

>Supposedly in a cut scene from TNG it was to be shown that one of the officers was gay. Hawk I think it was...the guy who went with Picard and Worf to the deflector dish

I think it was in the screenplay but not actually filmed.

If Star Trek actually does tackle homosexuality at some point, I hope they handle it the way that TOS handled race, having it feel natural and organic instead of a contrived attempt to make a "statement".

bunkey

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 11:30 am

Thats what I always hoped too. I want them to just have an engineer that's married to another male or something.  Have them have the same issues that any married couple would have. And make them awesome.  Make it very normal.  Nichelle Nichols tells a story about a man she met that was a former skinhead that credits her role for helpling him realize that he was wrong. The same thing could be done for same sex couples.

EvilTree

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 2:13 pm

It is a shame, when a new ST series is made (not if, when) I want at least one LGBT character in it, for what was suppose to be a utopian society with no discrimination of race, belief or species the absence of LGBT characters is too out of place. Heck some of the actors who play ST characters are gay, George Takei and Zackary Quinto, and Whoopi Goldberg is an adamant supporter of gay rights. The real challenge would be to try and fit it into the story without it being too distracting to the main plot and other characters or falling into the pitfalls of the character type e.g. a gay man who's too flamboyant to be believed or two lesbian characters used solely as fanservice.

Hey world, I'm here to comment on the message boards and keep my eyes open in case a new Star Trek series shows up.

crellmoset

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 2:51 pm

I doubt that we would see a homosexual character acting "flamboyant". That's just too stereotypical. Probably the worst they would do is have the character or someone else comment on them being homosexual instead of just letting them be part of the social scenery. To do otherwise would indicate to me that a significant number of people in Star Trek's future are still having major issues with it.

The actor that played Garak intended the character to be bisexual but was told to dial it back. The first episode where he introduces himself to Bashir is a little flirty and Bashir acts a little bit flustered during the encounter.

Ethics are arbitrary.

chator56

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 3:05 pm

I'm afraid Star Trek has already missed the boat on attempting to do something revolutionary on television with gay characters. DS9 gave us a lesbian kiss in the episode "Rejoined", four years after the first lesbian kiss was televised on an episode of L. A. Law. By now, there have already been dozens of gay characters in television shows. So if a new Trek show comes along with a gay character it might make the headlines, but it won't be anything other than Trek attempting to play catch up.

crellmoset

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 3:11 pm

Well, I don't think that Trek has to necessarily be revolutionary about everything. A TV series would have plenty of time to explore issues and I would simply hope that they tell their stories well.

Ethics are arbitrary.

bunkey

Report this Jun. 13 2013, 3:19 pm

How would it be catch up? Because TV has gay characters already?  That would be like saying casting an interracial cast is catch up because it's been done already. That's a bit silly. Equal representation of all types of people is not a game of who did it first. It's a matter of fairly portraying them. If that were the case, after Kirk kissed Uhura, every TV show afterwards that showed an interracial relationship would be "catching up".  So because other TV shows have hay characters Star Trek shouldn't?  Is this Hipster Star Trek, LOL?  "I had gay characters before it was mainstream."

Again, the best way to do it would be to just have it be a character. There's no need to write the character as "gay" or "straight".  Just write a good character and have that character be married to someone of the same sex.  Have them come home and discuss their day with their spouse like the O'Briens.  Have them go to their kids teacher for a PTA meeting on the ship.  Being gay doesn't mean that you have to have sexual situations or make a big production out of it.

Look at Caprica, how Sam Adama was portrayed.  Sam Adama was portrayed as perfectly normal, accepted and the introduction of his sexuality was very, very subtle and matter-of-fact.