Honest questions to ask yourselves about JJ Abrams Star Trek

bunkey

Report this May. 09 2013, 2:13 pm

This is not a hate post. I was just thinking about all the things Star Trek has stood for over the past 47 years, all the lives it has touched and I compared that to the new Star Trek...

Do you think...

In 25 years, there will be new technology, built by an engineer who was inspired to become one because of JJ Abrams’ Star Trek?

If somewhere out there, there is a little boy or girl who wants to become an astronaut because if JJ Abrams Star Trek?

Is there a child that will see JJ Abrams Star Trek and long to become scientist? Or a doctor?

Is there a child out there that will be inspired to explore the unknown instead of fear it?

Has JJ Abrams Star Trek inspired a little boy or girl to think they can do anything?

Has JJ Abrams Star Trek given anyone the slightest idea that despite growing military conflicts worldwide, humanity may just have the ability to better itself and come out of this okay?

25 years from now, will someone say “My parent took me to see Star Trek in 2009 and it changed my life.”?

25 years from now, will anyone even care about JJ Abrams Star Trek?

Sarcasm is my native language.
JJ Abrams is not of the body.

leroybrock

Report this May. 09 2013, 3:16 pm

I Am Ultra Narcissus.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 09 2013, 3:33 pm

Some decent questions there. I would say that they are rather unfair, for a couple of reasons.

JJ's Trek consists of two movies. Roddenberry's consisted of three seasons (not counting the later films and TNG.)

Secondly, the state of the space programme is simply not as inspiring as it was back in the sixties. You have to remember that kids were not only inspired by Star Trek, but by the general "hero" status of astronauts back when it aired, and much as it is still pretty cool to go into space -- I don't think it inspires the level of amazement that it used to. A pity, but that's how it is. Therefore you can't put it down to Star Trek.

But no, you are probably right -- maybe it won't happen. However, in 25 years -- don't count your chickens, it still could. Kids watching JJ Abrams movies now are still kids, and who knows where they will be in the future?

He may not have inspired anyone yet in their career, but JJ has inspired many people to go back to see what Star Trek is about, and to watch the previous episodes and other sci-fi. Can't be a bad thing.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

bunkey

Report this May. 09 2013, 3:46 pm

Quote: leroybrock @ May. 09 2013, 3:16 pm

>Back away from the computer, walk up the steps and out of your basement and get some fresh air at the park.

Oh, that tired old diddy.  Really?

I actually do live in a basement. It's a rather nice basement apartment in NYC.  Oh it's not my parent's, they've been dead for a while.

Do you really believe that asking a question about your opinion on Star Trek's impact on future generations deserves that unimaginative response?  And aren't you posting on the same board that I am? With a far higher post count, I might add. 200+ to my 18.  And I joined about 2 years ago, I just never come here. So you must spend far mor time on this board than I.

But you still haven't answered my questions.

Sarcasm is my native language.
JJ Abrams is not of the body.

leroybrock

Report this May. 09 2013, 3:59 pm

People have been making the effort to talk sense into the Mouthy Minority for some time. Logic and appeals to reason have failed to draw you people out of your delusions. Everyone's still prancing about all pretentious and mistaking their opinions for facts. Now you want to start a new thread so that people can waste their time trying to reason with you while you just go "NUH-UH!"

I Am Ultra Narcissus.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 09 2013, 4:12 pm

To all your questions I say.............its possible.

My daughter was one of those "emo" always down kids that felt the weorld was going to end any minute......but she walked out of Trek 09 with a more positive look on the world,

started  college with the goal of becoming a bio-chemist engineer [true she changed majors twice since then]

shes no majoring in communications and the tech related.

how much I can say was really do to trek 09 is debatable.

Photobucket

bunkey

Report this May. 09 2013, 4:16 pm

OtakuJo

Report this May. 09 2013, 4:22 pm

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

bunkey

Report this May. 09 2013, 4:28 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ May. 09 2013, 4:22 pm

>The easiest way (well -- I say easiest; it's actually pretty hard, but it's the surest way) not to derail a conversation is to stop responding.

Very true. I just find it strange that someone who's being rotten on a Star Trek forum accuses someone else of needing to get the proverbial life.  Pot....kettle.

Sarcasm is my native language.
JJ Abrams is not of the body.

darmokattanagra

Report this May. 09 2013, 5:55 pm

Bunkey, you made some good points in the other thread but I have to agree with OtakuJo here. 25 years is a long time, someone is bound to be inspired by these movies.

fireproof78

Report this May. 09 2013, 10:05 pm

Do you think...

Yes and often, sometimes too much. Oh, wait, that wasn't the question

I think so. I think someone will look at interfaces, wonder about engines or starship design or something like that and start down a path of research towards that end.

My daughter hasn't watched it yet, sorry. My wife is more interested in space travel after watching Star Trek, if that counts.

The potential is there.

That really depends on the parents, not just the child...

I'm sure that it has. It certainly has inspired me to be a better father.

Yes, I think it has and I think it communicates the importance of other relationships as well.

It certainly gave me a new perspective on some things.

25 years from now, will anyone even care about JJ Abrams Star Trek?

I will. My daughters will. Its not much but its all I can do.

wissa

Report this May. 10 2013, 7:38 am

Quote: bunkey @ May. 09 2013, 4:16 pm

>You know, not everyone has to share the same opinion and just because someone doesn't agree with yours, doesn't mean they're illogical or unreasonable.  I'm simply asking a question to start an intelligent conversation. If anyone is coming off as pretentious (and pretty hostile), it's you with your immediate insults and calling those who don't support the new Star Trek "The Mouthy Minority".  So you choose to attempt to silence opinions you don't like with insults and negativity?  Because I do not agree with you I am delusional? Who's mistaking their opinion for fact now?  And if anyone is coming off as "NUH-UH" it's you because you're just blindly trying  to derail a conversation because it MAY offer opinions that are different from your own.

>Some people may answer yes to my questions, some may answer no.  But your response is "You shut up you basement dwelling delsuional jerk! You know nothing! I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG!".

We have no idea how children are going to react to something they see.  I'm positive that when they made tos the motivation was not to inspire children to become astronauts or cell phone designers.  And I'm pretty sure you could pick out more than two hours of episodes that wouldn't inspire anyone to do anything.  It's unfair to take a two hour movie and declare it a failure because it doesn't have the same impact as 9 movies and 27 seasons of television.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Vger23

Report this May. 10 2013, 8:09 am

Bunkey,

You've made 26 posts, and I'd be willing to wager that almost all of them have been in angst over the new movie franchise.

Let it go. It's only 4 hours and 6 minutes worth of material in a franchise with 100's and 100's of hours of entertainment to chose from. No amount of distaste or expressed dissatisfaction is going to change anything. And, if you're trying to make yourself feel better, clearly you're not because all you end up in is arguments with people who disagree with you.

Why put yourself through the irritation? You don't like it? That's completely understandable. The new movie franchise is going in a bold new direction, and there are ALWAYS casualties when any "enterprise" does that. It's completely natural. But, it's not natural to keep banging your head against the neutronium wall. Most people like it. A few (very vocal ones) don't. None of us are going to change the other's minds. And, even worse, attempts to do so just irritate the other side.

Let's drop it shall we?

bunkey

Report this May. 10 2013, 10:14 am

Vger23....absolutley not.

I don't see why the idea of having adult conversations should be dropped.    I have questions about feelings towards the new films, I feel I bring up valid points and have been very civil.  The movie was just released, there are going to be negative and positive responses to it.  As a Star Trek fan, having discussions and debates is what makes us tick.

As long as no one is insulting, then what is the harm?  Or do you just wish to bury negative reactions so everything seems like the new Trek is universally accepted by fans?

As far as

"How do you expect people to take you seriously when you ignore the people actually answering the question?",  I fail to see what you mean. I asked questions about opinions of Abrams Trek legacy and received them. What other response should I post?

Vger23

Report this May. 10 2013, 10:21 am

I guess I'm just wondering how and why it's worth 27 posts of yoru time.

And, by the way, I hate to scuff your puma's...but having discussions and debates is not limited to "Star Trek fans." God forbid we admit that there are plenty of other intelligent people out there.

And...discussions and debates is one thing. Having a single-mided unwavering fixation on something is another. I can't debate of discuss with someone who is locked-in on a single train of thought. Nobody can.