ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Star Trek, Star Wars and JJ Abrahms

Trekkie770

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2

Report this Apr. 30 2013, 2:44 pm

A few things. Number one, why is R2-D2 seen in 2009 Star Trek movie? (Enterprise warps into debris from the destroyed armada by Nero. R2-D2 flies across the left part of the screen). Why did JJ do that? Second, a rumor floating aroung that George Takai is considering a role in the new DISNEY owned Star Wars Film which would be a traitorous move. Third, JJ directs a Star Trek movie then moves to do a Star Wars movie? Then what? Go Back and make a third Star Trek movie afterwards? What is going on here?? When I saw R2-D2 in the 2009 Star Trek movie I was PISSED! I dont have anything against Star Wars but being a Trekker, I feel that there are lines you just don't cross. Any Thoughts?

2takesfrakes

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3683

Report this Apr. 30 2013, 4:25 pm

As far as ST09's R2D2 gag ...
I hate it when movies "wink" at
the audience, except for comedies.


As far as actors from STAR TREK
starring in a STAR WARS movie,
or any other franchise, I am FINE
with it, provided that, once again,
it is not to "wink" at the audience.


If Takae is playing a character who's of
some note in STAR WARS, then I'm just
happy he's getting work, for a change!


Holo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 253

Report this Apr. 30 2013, 7:29 pm

Traitorous? Last time I checked Star Trek and Star Wars were to science fiction franchises, not Allied and Axis powers.

MCB

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 23

Report this Apr. 30 2013, 8:12 pm

That Abrams guy just used Star Trek as a cash cow and a stepping stone to get what he really wanted : Star Wars.  I do not care, Disney owns Star Wars now.  That means Disney owns Darth Vador.  He is going to say something dumb like Fish are friends, not food! some day. 

AlfredPunter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1

Report this Apr. 30 2013, 10:44 pm

I have also heard about the rumor that George Takai is considering a role in the new DISNEY owned Star Wars Film.


Alfred Punter

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this May. 01 2013, 6:24 am

I don't see why any of it matters. Why get "PISSED" about an homage placed in a 2-second f/x scene in a movie? Sci fi movies do that kind of thing all the time. Life is too short. There are other things to be "PISSED" about.


 


Who cares what movies JJ Abrams directs when he's not working on Star Trek? It's Hollywood. These people are in the movie-making business. I don't know where fans get this strange impression that movie directors / producers / writers are somehow being "disloyal" if they go to work on other projects. It's absolutely ridiculous.


 


Who cares what George Takei decides to do? He's an actor, he can do whatever he wants. There's nothing in his contract that forbids him from working on other projects. Christ.  


 


People need to get past this insecure "Trek vs. Wars" crap and move on. As Holo pointed out, this isn't WWII or Yankees vs. Red Sox. They're two entertainment franchises. Nobody gets a medal or control of the globe for being more popular than the other. Relax. 

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4026

Report this May. 01 2013, 9:14 am

Quote: Trekkie770 @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:44 pm

>

>A few things. Number one, why is R2-D2 seen in 2009 Star Trek movie? (Enterprise warps into debris from the destroyed armada by Nero. R2-D2 flies across the left part of the screen). Why did JJ do that? Second, a rumor floating aroung that George Takai is considering a role in the new DISNEY owned Star Wars Film which would be a traitorous move. Third, JJ directs a Star Trek movie then moves to do a Star Wars movie? Then what? Go Back and make a third Star Trek movie afterwards? What is going on here?? When I saw R2-D2 in the 2009 Star Trek movie I was PISSED! I dont have anything against Star Wars but being a Trekker, I feel that there are lines you just don't cross. Any Thoughts?

>


 


don't forget, Industrial LIght and Magic is owned by Lucas and has been doing special effects for Star Trek since WOK.  They've been planning this FOR DECADES!!!!!!  Since JJ's been in high school!!!!!  


We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Mitchz95

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1830

Report this May. 01 2013, 10:49 am

I was gonna post, but Vger beat me to it.


"The future is in the hands of those who explore... And from all the beauty they discover while crossing perpetually receding frontiers, they develop for nature and for humankind an infinite love." - Jacques Yves Cousteau

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this May. 01 2013, 11:37 am

Quote: Mitchz95 @ May. 01 2013, 10:49 am

>

>I was gonna post, but Vger beat me to it.

>


Nah...post away good sir!


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1401

Report this May. 01 2013, 1:46 pm

Yeah I never got Trek vs. Wars either. I have liked them both all my life, though I do place Star Trek at #1. I think JJ Abrams has the ability to make a good Star Wars film. And I think it would be cool to See George Takei in Star Wars. Also things like R2-D2 as debris show up a lot in other shows and movies too, remember those fx artists and movie makers are all as nerdy as we are about things too, it's usually why they got into that field.


Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this May. 02 2013, 2:34 am

If Takei wants to be in an upcoming Star Wars movie, then good for him. (He's already been in The Clone Wars.)


As far as the R2 cameo goes, honestly it barely registered for me. (that is, I did not see him except in screen caps where someone happens to have circled him and then it turns out like, "Oh there he is.") I guess it's not so possible to get pissed off by something you don't notice to begin with.


I think it would piss me off if R2's cameo were more overt -- i.e., if he appeared in the foreground and went "bleep boop bleepity" at Spock or something...


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

He'sDeadJim6400

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 113

Report this May. 02 2013, 4:08 am

Quote: Trekkie770 @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:44 pm

>

>A few things. Number one, why is R2-D2 seen in 2009 Star Trek movie? (Enterprise warps into debris from the destroyed armada by Nero. R2-D2 flies across the left part of the screen). Why did JJ do that? Second, a rumor floating aroung that George Takai is considering a role in the new DISNEY owned Star Wars Film which would be a traitorous move. Third, JJ directs a Star Trek movie then moves to do a Star Wars movie? Then what? Go Back and make a third Star Trek movie afterwards? What is going on here?? When I saw R2-D2 in the 2009 Star Trek movie I was PISSED! I dont have anything against Star Wars but being a Trekker, I feel that there are lines you just don't cross. Any Thoughts?

>


I was pissed too friend, how could that traitorous little TROLL Abrams do this to us, it's bad enough he turned  Star Trek into a hormone  driven TRAIN WRECK, his plan was to make millions from a goofy Trek movie then move over to Star Wars which is what he love the most, anyway..You're either with Star trek 110 % OR YOU'RE NOT.. I hope this wakes Paramount up so they'll TOSS Abrams on his buns and get a Director that cares about the franchise.  


Greatness comes to those who really want to do anything to get it.

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this May. 04 2013, 12:43 pm

It turns out that the rumour of George Takei in a new Star Wars movie was an April Fools gag.


http://trekmovie.com/2013/04/01/star-trekstar-wars-gags-abound-on-april-fools-day-2013/


(I still think he'd be good, if he were to do a Star Wars role.)


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

stovokor2000-A

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 04 2013, 3:26 pm

Quote: Trekkie770 @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:44 pm

>

>A few things. Number one, why is R2-D2 seen in 2009 Star Trek movie? (Enterprise warps into debris from the destroyed armada by Nero. R2-D2 flies across the left part of the screen). Why did JJ do that?

>When I saw R2-D2 in the 2009 Star Trek movie I was PISSED! I dont have anything against Star Wars but being a Trekker, I feel that there are lines you just don't cross. Any Thoughts?


its not the first time Trek has made a "nod" to Star Wars........just look at the Breen.


Photobucket

fireproof78

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 342

Report this May. 04 2013, 11:46 pm

Quote: He'sDeadJim6400 @ May. 02 2013, 4:08 am

Quote: Trekkie770 @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:44 pm

>

>

>A few things. Number one, why is R2-D2 seen in 2009 Star Trek movie? (Enterprise warps into debris from the destroyed armada by Nero. R2-D2 flies across the left part of the screen). Why did JJ do that? Second, a rumor floating aroung that George Takai is considering a role in the new DISNEY owned Star Wars Film which would be a traitorous move. Third, JJ directs a Star Trek movie then moves to do a Star Wars movie? Then what? Go Back and make a third Star Trek movie afterwards? What is going on here?? When I saw R2-D2 in the 2009 Star Trek movie I was PISSED! I dont have anything against Star Wars but being a Trekker, I feel that there are lines you just don't cross. Any Thoughts?

>

I was pissed too friend, how could that traitorous little TROLL Abrams do this to us, it's bad enough he turned  Star Trek into a hormone  driven TRAIN WRECK, his plan was to make millions from a goofy Trek movie then move over to Star Wars which is what he love the most, anyway..You're either with Star trek 110 % OR YOU'RE NOT.. I hope this wakes Paramount up so they'll TOSS Abrams on his buns and get a Director that cares about the franchise.  


Like Nicholas Meyer?


OH wait, he wasn't a fan. Fire him too!


R2 was in there because ILM did the visual work and they do that in almost every project they have done. Nothing new there...


Finally, since when is getting a job traitorous? Abrams is the hot ticket right now in the business, just like Whedon was a few years back. Abrams came in to make a movie that people would enjoy, not just Trek fans. Likewise, he will do the same with Star Wars. Also, Abrams has committed to Star Trek and will continue on regardless of the new Star Wars job.


He's being smart by taking work where he can find it. Sorry if is working offends you but I'm sure he likes to eat too.


Finally, why the hate towards Star Wars? Last I looked, no said you couldn't like both

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum