Any good Trek novels or fan fic?

Ne vem

Report this Apr. 28 2013, 3:20 am

Most fan fic is awful, so I need a shortcut. Can anyone tell me some good ones?

Why does no-one in Trek make zines?

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 28 2013, 12:45 pm

Quote: Ne vem @ Apr. 28 2013, 3:20 am

>Most fan fic is awful, so I need a shortcut. Can anyone tell me some good ones?

>Also, Trek novels...I started reading one in the library, it was with Picard as Captain and Worf as his new first officer. It was a bit bland...are there any better ones? I heard the writers have to really stick to the concept of Trek and can't introduce any major changes to canon...is it true?

The rules regarding books (for first-timers anyway) are: Don't kill any canon characters & don't introduce relatives.

Of course they do break these rules a lot.

There is also a lot of good fiction out there, so not entirely sure what I would recommend.

What series/character(s) do you like? Any rules on genre? shipping? Mary Sues?

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Utopia Planetia

Report this Apr. 28 2013, 11:01 pm

If you like Quark, Armin Shimerman's audio books are very good. There's also one with Rene Auberjonois that's good -- though the story's time travel element doesn't really work in audiobook format.

I said in another thread that I've been going to animated fan films for my new trek fix. Aurora trek and a new one I've found -- a 3-part, 10-hour plus miniseries, one episode of which is called Star Trek Redemption -- are both good, though the latter miniseries is long enough to wear you out. But it's 10 hours of new star trek, so who cares.

Hegemony.Cricket

Report this Apr. 29 2013, 4:01 am

I don't read fan fiction, but in terms of novels your best bet is to learn which Trek writers you like and follow their stuff. Peter David and Keith R.A. Candido are my favourites. I very much enjoyed Candido's I.K.S. Gorkon series. Peter David's best include "Q in Law", "Vendetta", "Imzadi" and the "New Frontier" series. Both writers utilize the main characters well and flesh out areas of the Star Trek universe ignored by the shows and movies. If you're an Enterprise fan, the Dave Stern novels are pretty good too.

IDW seems to be doing a decent job with their comics license. The ongoing comic based on the original series reboot is pretty well written and the art is good. The miniseries vary, but most of the original series ones have been excellent.

A while back I read a fanzine which reprinted Pocket Books' rules for Trek novels. As I remember it, the big ones are no major character deaths, no major changes to the universe (don't blow up the Enterprise, keep canon species and villains alive and viable for later use), and no sexual relationships between main characters.The new novels started to go wrong when they began to break these rules.

Ne vem

Report this Jun. 04 2013, 9:27 am

Thanks for the help. I've found a few more in the library and they're all the same: bland. I suppose they can't help it if the rules above are applied.

I'll probably give up on the novels and stick to the TV series...unless Ronald D Moore has written a novel?

Why does no-one in Trek make zines?

vulcan lady

Report this Jun. 11 2013, 1:53 pm

You should read "Yesterday's Son".  It does bend canon a bit, which is why I avoided it at first.  It introduces a son belonging to Spock.

But I finally gave in, and i couldn't put it down.  It was like watching an unknown episode of the original series (that kind of action with cerebral overtones).  It takes place when Spock is older (as in '79), but it refers to the episode "All Our Yesterdays".

Loved it.  Sorry I avoided it so long.  I think you'll like it.

Also, I recommend "Vuldan's Glory" by D.C. Fontana.  I had her sign my copy at a convention.  Good read.

I also recommend "Spock's World" and "Sarek".  Gives you more insight into these caracters and many fans have read these.

I am now reading "Vulcan!", by Kathleen Sky.  It's a fun read.

Note:  All of these books I've recommended have to be ordered online, as they are out of print.  You can get really good deals though...sometimes for pennies.

LIke you, I can't get into Next Generation fiction.  I find it slow, like you do.

Try the ones I recommended.  You'll see what I mean.

P.S.  I am not a kid.  I am a grown woman fan.  I like a good "character" story more than "battles" and "war stories". That is how I make my recommendations.

DIFTOR HEH SMUSMA!

CrimsonComet

Report this Jun. 11 2013, 7:18 pm

I highly reccomend William Shatner's Collision Course.  I throughly enjoy it.  Do not bite on the failed promise to bring a sequel though, it never happened.  The story is about Midshipman Kirk and Spock in Star Fleet Academy.  I know that it is a little early for them to have met, but it is a good read.  It outlines Kirk's young life and Spock's young life and how their timelines intertwine in the most unusual way.

There comes a time in every young man's life when they turn to a father, uncle, brother, or God, and ask the question 'Why am I here, what is my purpose?'.

willowtree

Report this Jun. 14 2013, 6:08 am

If you like Voyager there are some good books, The Nanotech Wars, The Dark Matter Trilogy, Seven of Nine,

Users browsing this forum: Starcruiser51, miklamar, DS9TREK