Data and his "Senses"

kryptonturtle

Report this Apr. 22 2013, 5:23 pm

I recently re-watched one of my favorite TNG episodes that I hadn't seen in a long time, "The Most Toys". There is one scene in particular that where Sal Rubinek's character "the collector?", shows data an old baseball card from Earth that he had the bubblegum scent preserved with. Data seems to be able to smell the scent, but I couldn't remember whether or not he was actually able to taste, smell or feel?  - Thanks guys and gals!

2takesfrakes

Report this Apr. 23 2013, 3:57 pm

I think the show played fast and loose with his
"senses," until they just stopped questioning it.

For example, in the episode HERO WORSHIP, Data
stated that he "would gladly risk feeling bad, at times
... if it also meant that I could taste my dessert."
Yet, on a previous episode, ANGEL ONE, we find
Data sniffing perfume. Unless a particular show
wanted to emphasize "Data's a Machine" aspects ...

I suspect even The Writers didn't think about it, really.

miklamar

Report this Apr. 25 2013, 7:20 pm

I think Data's sensory organs (including skin) sent input received to his brain, and then his brain analyzed and interpreted those sensations.  To him, it probably seemed like he was sensing things like a humanoid would.  But, it was probably different from the way we humanoids actually experience things.

For one point, he could intellectually analyze things and the process of perceiving them.  I don't think we are actually aware of the process, just the resulting sensation.

Secondly, he could remember all of these  things, which we do not--at least, usually, not consciously.

So, I think that in his own way, Data was able to feel things the way we do.  But, I think there would still be a qualitative difference between the two systems.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this May. 01 2013, 5:56 am

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Gawain_VIII

Report this May. 01 2013, 2:30 pm

ROBERT CHARLES GRAHAM, Vice Admiral
U.S.S Gawain NCC-91980
Commanding Officer, Frontier Fleet
sto-frontier-fleet.proboards.com

CountJohn

Report this May. 01 2013, 5:34 pm

Quote: Gawain_VIII @ May. 01 2013, 2:30 pm

>IIRC, he was able to quantify odor (in one episode where he attempts to learn romance, he comments about the aroma of a particular flower), but not flavor (he could differentiate texture/ingredients but not the essence of taste like bitter, sweet, sour, etc.).

^This pretty much sums it up. They were pretty consistent about it actually.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this May. 01 2013, 7:09 pm

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ May. 01 2013, 5:56 am

>I'm sure he can smell and taste. But I always figured when he would taste say a Coke, he could tell you everything that was in it, but not really know why it would be considered "good".

exactly, he could indeed smell/taste foods/drinks, but with out emotion he wouldnt be able to tell you why any food/drink would be prefered or unliked.

it wasnt till he put in his emotion chip [ST:Generations] that he started enjoying or disliking foods/drinks

Photobucket