When did TNG improve more?

Created by: Holo

Holo

Report this Apr. 16 2013, 10:52 am

I'm watching all of Trek in (in-universe) chronological order and just made it to The Child.

I used to think that the show didn't really 'get good' until the third season, but I think I'm changing my mind. The entire look/feel/atmosphere of the show seems to change between 1 and 2, and it becomes much more apparent in HD. And while S2 has its fair share of bad episodes, it has at least twice as many good eps as S1.

Skipping ahead to S3, the differences seem reduced to new uniforms and Bev's back.

What do you think?

2takesfrakes

Report this Apr. 16 2013, 3:13 pm

There were a few really good gems in Season One.
Season Two got even better, although Beverly is
SORELY missed, in that one. I attribute this to
Rick Berman's taking on more responsibility. And
Melinda Snodgrass, who wrote "Measure of a Man,"
ended up becoming the "D.C. Fontana" of TNG.

She was very good. It's easy to forget that, this was
the first TOS Spin Off. There was alot of uncertainty
and experimentation. And remember, the TOS movies were
still coming out, though they were winding down. But I
feel that "Encounter at Farpoint" was a VERY strong start!

CountJohn

Report this Apr. 16 2013, 4:10 pm

People overstate TNG's bad start. The show was off and running by season two, and even season one has a couple gems, and only a few real duds.

2takesfrakes

Report this Apr. 17 2013, 3:26 pm

Very well said, CountJohn and I am in complete agreement with you, sir.

UninvitedGuest

Report this Apr. 17 2013, 3:59 pm

Seasons 1 and 2 are very good and roughly equal in my opinion. However, the season 2 finale "Shades of Gray" is probably the worst TNG episode of all.

Mugatu_for_Two

Report this Apr. 19 2013, 1:57 pm

"Shades of Gray" was brutal. They should've had Riker contract an STD instead and showed blooper reels.

starfan97

Report this Apr. 20 2013, 9:46 am

I think it improved even more between seasons 3 and 4.

kryptonturtle

Report this Apr. 22 2013, 5:31 pm

I enjoyed them all, but think it definitely got better between season 2 and 3. Some of my favorite episodes are from season 3. As a matter of fact, the first episode I ever saw in its entirety was "Who Watches The Watchers". I don't know why, but I love that one. It made me go out and buy the DVD's.

KelisThePoet

Report this Apr. 22 2013, 7:21 pm

Season One is pretty awful but forgivable in its way because it is the first season.  Season Two is a weird one.  When I started watching it, I thought it was a significant step forward from Season One.  The stories were more complex, and there was more character drama.  Worf's increased role helped make the characters' interactions more dramatic, and Pulaski's sparring with Data, while roughly executed, was a welcome relief from the blandness of almost all the charater interactions in Season One.  But then, at just about the halfway point, Season Two's episodes go from decent to totally unwatchable.  I have heard that it was about this point in the season that the writers' strike started affecting episodes, and I believe it.  After finishing Season Two, I was almost ready to give up on The Next Generation and was seriously puzzled why so many people love it.  But luckily, I stuck with it because even when Star Trek is bad, it's Star Trek, so I love it.  The difference between Season Two and Season Three feels like the difference between night and day for me.  The shots and lighting are much more professional looking.  The stories are more compelling.  Even the acting seems improved.

Falor was a prosperous merchant who went on a journey to gain greater awareness: Through storms he crossed the Voroth Sea/ To reach the clouded shores of Raal/ Where old T’Para offered truth./ He traveled through the windswept hills/ And crossed the barren Fire Plains/ To find the silent monks of Kir./ Still unfulfilled, he journeyed home/ Told stories of the lessons learned/ And gained true wisdom by the giving. – Falor’s Journey, “Innocence”