Phasers (Lasers) are now a thing!!

ABfield

Report this Apr. 09 2013, 7:41 pm

So the US Navy is going to deploy humanity's first laser weapon. Here we go people, Gene's universe is starting to take shape.

K_tigress

Report this Apr. 10 2013, 8:38 pm

Hay thanks for sharing that pretty cool and interesting article.
There is also something in the testing stages a plasma based gismo that speeds up healing of wounds as well just like on any of the shows.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. -Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

starfan97

Report this Apr. 12 2013, 3:28 pm

Yah! now i really have something to give my friends strife about... the last thing they want me to have is a phaser equivalant. But i would think it could be very useful in the military.

ABfield

Report this Apr. 14 2013, 11:46 am

Your welcome. I also saw on TV that the founder of Research in Motion, Mike Larzus, is now working with a new company on making a tricorder.

Gawain_VIII

Report this Apr. 16 2013, 11:53 am

While definitely cool, I don't know if a weaponized laser (phaser) is the first MAJOR Trek-inspired real-world innovation.  Some that come to mind are the cell phone (communicator), bluetooth (Uhura's ear reciever), tablet PC (PADD), Scanadu SCOUT (medical tricorder), space shuttles (maneuverable extra-atmospheric vehicles) and the ISS (starbases).

ROBERT CHARLES GRAHAM, Vice Admiral
U.S.S Gawain NCC-91980
Commanding Officer, Frontier Fleet
sto-frontier-fleet.proboards.com

ABfield

Report this Apr. 17 2013, 10:16 pm

Good points. Never even thought about blue tooth. I suppose when I think of Star Trek science and technology I think about lasers. Your list is awesome BTW (as I write this message on a Tablet).

Trip: "You did all that with a phase pistol?" Reed: "Your good at fixing things, I'm good at blowing them up!".

Users browsing this forum: JOYOFVGR