ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

A real Starfleet Academy?

Devinoni

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 57

Report this Mar. 25 2013, 12:25 pm

This has been an idea I have been poundering about for a while, why not have a real version of Starfleet Academy?


For one, I believe that Gene Roddenberry's vision of a better humanity could actually be more than just the blueprint of fine tv series and movies. He has brought a sense of hope and believe that humanity can grow and survive as a species. And that we can learn to value the beauty of differences instead of hiding behind walls of fear and indifference.  


All these values and codes of conduct are embodied in Starfleet and are essential if one day we want to travel space (and survive as a species). Today we may not yet board a vessel to explore space, but we could start by preparing ourselves.


For now, humanity and it's survival is our first enterprise.


 


What do you think? And how do you think it would come about?


Make it so.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46331

Report this Mar. 25 2013, 12:51 pm

Until we get serious about space travel, I doubt this is going to happen.  We need to set up colonies throughout the solar system and then figure out how to get to other solar systems.

Mitchz95

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1830

Report this Mar. 25 2013, 4:57 pm

I'd love to see all our space agencies band together into a single group. They could be funded by the United Nations and its member countries, and use their extensive resources to really get us into space.


"The future is in the hands of those who explore... And from all the beauty they discover while crossing perpetually receding frontiers, they develop for nature and for humankind an infinite love." - Jacques Yves Cousteau

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46331

Report this Mar. 25 2013, 6:24 pm

Quote: Mitchz95 @ Mar. 25 2013, 4:57 pm

>

>I'd love to see all our space agencies band together into a single group. They could be funded by the United Nations and its member countries, and use their extensive resources to really get us into space.

>
While that may have some advantages, but politics stops ideas.  I think that space needs to be opened up so that anyone can try.  This breeds competition and multiple ideas.

Sehlat123

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 496

Report this Mar. 25 2013, 7:41 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Mar. 25 2013, 6:24 pm

>

>While that may have some advantages, but politics stops ideas.  I think that space needs to be opened up so that anyone can try.  This breeds competition and multiple ideas.

>


I agree. NASA and others are important for now, since there's no real profit in space exploration, but as you see with NASA, they can be defunded for any political reason. Now new companies, like SpaceX and Virgin Galactic are opening up, and really that could be better.


"Borg. Sounds Swedish."

Mitchz95

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1830

Report this Mar. 25 2013, 8:31 pm

Quote: Sehlat123 @ Mar. 25 2013, 7:41 pm

>

>Now new companies, like SpaceX and Virgin Galactic are opening up, and really that could be better.

>


I dunno ... while the competition would certainly generate results, I'm not sure I like the idea of a bunch of corporations holding the reigns to space. All they care about is profit.


"The future is in the hands of those who explore... And from all the beauty they discover while crossing perpetually receding frontiers, they develop for nature and for humankind an infinite love." - Jacques Yves Cousteau

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46331

Report this Mar. 26 2013, 9:19 am

Quote: Mitchz95 @ Mar. 25 2013, 8:31 pm

Quote: Sehlat123 @ Mar. 25 2013, 7:41 pm

>

>

>Now new companies, like SpaceX and Virgin Galactic are opening up, and really that could be better.

>

I dunno ... while the competition would certainly generate results, I'm not sure I like the idea of a bunch of corporations holding the reigns to space. All they care about is profit.

Governments have goals too - usually to control.  But at least a company won't be wasting taxpayer money.

Devinoni

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 57

Report this Mar. 26 2013, 10:26 am

I personaly think that there's more to Starfleet than just merely the getting into space part.


And obviously we presently lack the technological means to persue such a goal. So when implying a real Starfleet Academy I was thinking in the lines of something that would lead the way or at least point towards the direction of the goal to achieve.


Obviously, Gene envisioned a future where humanity had evolved and that was reflected in the way their society is organised. I do think that all the elements are required in order to be workable.


Like you rightfully pointed out, where we to be exploring space nowadays - chances are it would be a govermental or coporational thing. So first and foremost there needs to be a shift in the way our societies are govern and structured. We need workable models and alternatives, and a present day Academy could help pursue these goals.


Bottom line is that we need to focus more on the long term rather than the quick profit if we're wanting to survive as a species.


 


It's a long way to get there, but we should start paving the way today no matter how far we are from where we want to be.


 


Make it so.

Mitchz95

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1830

Report this Mar. 26 2013, 10:31 am

One thing I think needs to happen is for ethics and social responsibility to become a larger part of the school curriculum. If that happens, future generations might turn out less greedy and more open-minded about following paths that do more than generate money.


"The future is in the hands of those who explore... And from all the beauty they discover while crossing perpetually receding frontiers, they develop for nature and for humankind an infinite love." - Jacques Yves Cousteau

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46331

Report this Mar. 26 2013, 10:44 am

Quote: Mitchz95 @ Mar. 26 2013, 10:31 am

>

>One thing I think needs to happen is for ethics and social responsibility to become a larger part of the school curriculum. If that happens, future generations might turn out less greedy and more open-minded about following paths that do more than generate money.

>
And this is where I very much disagree.  "Social responsibility" is just another term for slavery where one group of people owes their effort to another.  Remember, when one earns money, it's because they met someone else's need via a voluntary transaction.  Nobody is responsible for me other than me.


Even kids know that "social responsibility" is bogus when we put it in terms of their lives.... take a student who works hard and earns an 'A' on their test.....  to be "socially responsible," they must give up that A and give part of their grade to another student who didn't even try and failed.  Everyone then gets a "C", so why try?


 


Anyway... our schools have pretty much stopped teaching core (reading, writing, math, science, etc.) and has gone towards that "social responsibility" stuff... which is badly affecting our competitive edge with other countries.  We keep spending more and more money on that... while our kids' scores and abilities go down.


 


We have to work hard and earn our way into space, not wait for someone else to do it.


 


Getting into space should be people's choice, not controlled by someone else.

Devinoni

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 57

Report this Mar. 26 2013, 11:09 am

And that is why there should be a Academy in the first place, so that people could volunteer and sign up for a package of values and dedications.


Make it so.

Devinoni

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 57

Report this Mar. 26 2013, 11:19 am

Star Trek has always been a vehicule for ideas. Gene Roddenberry was smart enough to realize that writting a manifest of ideas would never have cut it. So he cleverly disguised them into a tv series. And with that comes the genuis, because not only does it brings his ideas it also give the others a broad reference of how the ideas work on a practical level.


Make it so.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46331

Report this Mar. 26 2013, 11:20 am

Quote: Devinoni @ Mar. 26 2013, 11:09 am

>

>And that is why there should be a Academy in the first place, so that people could volunteer and sign up for a package of values and dedications.

>
And who's going to pay for it?

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46331

Report this Mar. 26 2013, 11:31 am

Quote: Devinoni @ Mar. 26 2013, 11:19 am

>

>Star Trek has always been a vehicule for ideas. Gene Roddenberry was smart enough to realize that writting a manifest of ideas would never have cut it. So he cleverly disguised them into a tv series. And with that comes the genuis, because not only does it brings his ideas it also give the others a broad reference of how the ideas work on a practical level.

>
Absolutely!  He was able to address major social and political issues using fiction.  That show has affected many of our lives.

Devinoni

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 57

Report this Mar. 26 2013, 11:57 am

[quote]


[quote]


And that is why there should be a Academy in the first place, so that people could volunteer and sign up for a package of values and dedications.


[/quote]And who's going to pay for it?


[/quote]


That is a valid question, one that needs to be addressed if a real Academy is in the making.


Most likely it would start of as a non-profit organisation, something in the lines of the World Wildlife Fund or Greenpeace.


I do not have all the answers as to how to go about it, but I believe there are people out there with the required expertise that could help out.


Make it so.

Recently logged in

Users browsing this forum: Starcruiser51, miklamar, DS9TREK

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum