Would You Change TNG?

Created by: 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes

Report this Mar. 15 2013, 6:31 am

What would you do differently, if you
had been in charge of production for
STAR TREK: The Next Generation?

christina.miracle

Report this Mar. 22 2013, 1:57 am

Riker's character is boring and I don't care for tasha either. Tasha's character was good but I didn't like the actor's representation of her. Riker needs more personality.

leroybrock

Report this Mar. 22 2013, 8:59 pm

Riker could have used some more flair. Maybe the show could have started off with Riker as chief of security and Tasha as first officer. After she's killed by the ridiculous skin of evil monster he gets slotted up to first officer and Warf does security. Maybe he could also have been an Efrosian as was the Federation President in Star Trek VI.

I probably would have allowed Data to use contractions as well. It's not like he's a badly malfunctioning copy of MS Word 2000.

I Am Ultra Narcissus.

T'Paul

Report this Mar. 22 2013, 9:44 pm

I do not find TNG perfect, but I am afraid to change anything that works as well as it does.

What I feel is not perfect about it is pretty much the same as what everyone says. Riker and the doctors are a little bit dry. It is probably something as simple as giving those characters more exciting backgrounds.

But again, I would not risk changing what is one of everyone's favorites.

finka

Report this Mar. 23 2013, 4:45 am

There are just some episodes that shouldn't be aired.. Like the one with masks and the Naked Now parody. But I agree - it's hard to change anything more than some small things like Data using contractions. Even Riker's dryness is somehow good, you can just imagine the character for yourself.

Blast your theories and observations!

2takesfrakes

Report this Mar. 23 2013, 7:09 am

TNG was so smug and morally superior to even people of its
own past. Scotty was treated like something that climbed down
from a tree. The frozen Humans found in NEUTRAL ZONE, who
were from - roughly - our time, are treated like they're total idiots.
And ALL of the Galaxy is fascinated with the importance of Humans,
24th Century Humans, that is! Rather than Humans fascination being the
Galaxy. And just how did Dr. Soong get a corner on the Android market?!!

Outside of those things, TNG brought out The Best of STAR TREK. I love it!

leroybrock

Report this Mar. 23 2013, 7:15 am

I always figured that Soong was the only successful maker of positronic brains because their must be some trick that must be done during the creation process that ensures their long term stability. Probably the kind of thing that when general scientists figure it out will make them collectively smack their foreheads and say "of course, duh."

I Am Ultra Narcissus.

He'sDeadJim6400

Report this Mar. 23 2013, 6:45 pm

Quote: 2takesfrakes @ Mar. 23 2013, 7:09 am

>TNG was so smug and morally superior to even people of its
own past. Scotty was treated like something that climbed down
from a tree. The frozen Humans found in NEUTRAL ZONE, who
were from - roughly - our time, are treated like they're total idiots.
And ALL of the Galaxy is fascinated with the importance of Humans,
24th Century Humans, that is! Rather than Humans fascination being the
Galaxy. And just how did Dr. Soong get a corner on the Android market?!!

>Outside of those things, TNG brought out The Best of STAR TREK. I love it!

I was surprised Riker and the rest didn't knew who Scotty was when he beamed in from his ship..Scotty could run rings around Geordi in Engineering.

Greatness comes to those who really want to do anything to get it.

2takesfrakes

Report this Mar. 24 2013, 5:09 am

I just felt that 24th Century Human superiority,
even towards someone like Barklay, worked
against them - in the context of the show's
own logic and moral ground. Scotty's OK, I'm
not really concerned about his fame. But trying
to pass future Humans off as "enlightened" snobs
was, to me, at least, the show's only major misstep.
Fortunately, that aspect would eventually tone down.