Was Commander Riker really NEEDED ?

Created by: He'sDeadJim6400

He'sDeadJim6400

Report this Mar. 12 2013, 3:46 pm

Now, I love TNG crew, even Commander Riker, but I just notice sometimes he stands around and does nothing, think about this before you answer, in all the seasons was Commander Riker's job that important ? Data or Geordi or EVEN Worf could lead away missions, whats so hard about that ? all Riker did bascically was quote orders behind Picard and unlike Spock who was a science officer, Riker had no special skills--as far as I know, and when an enemy ship is about to attack he yelled "RED ALERT !"Captain Picard didn't need a shadow..I Know Riker is the First officer he makes sure the ship runs smoothly, but Data can do that and do his job..This is my opinion, if I'm in error someone please correct me.

Greatness comes to those who really want to do anything to get it.

Sehlat123

Report this Mar. 12 2013, 4:16 pm

"Borg. Sounds Swedish."

UninvitedGuest

Report this Mar. 13 2013, 3:56 pm

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Mar. 14 2013, 10:26 am

The XO's position is one of the toughest and most important positions there are, even though they don't get the credit like the CO does.  Additionally, with the TNG Enterprise so much bigger than the TOS Enterprise, there was a lot more going on, so additional leadership (not specifically technical skills) was necessary.

He'sDeadJim6400

Report this Mar. 15 2013, 1:20 pm

Quote: UninvitedGuest @ Mar. 13 2013, 3:56 pm

>It was kind of stupid on TOS how the captain was constantly put in harms way during the away-team missions, so Riker filled that role for TNG since the first officer getting killed wouldn't be nearly as catastrophic as the captain being killed. Riker also took the captains place when he was gone since he didn't have special skills for another role like engineer or science officer.

>On one episode I remember it being said that Riker is one of the best shuttlecraft pilots in all of Starfleet.

Yeah, too bad Captain Jellico didn't think Riker was good.

Greatness comes to those who really want to do anything to get it.

chevron9phased

Report this Mar. 15 2013, 9:12 pm

He'sDeadJim6400

Report this Mar. 15 2013, 9:20 pm

Quote: chevron9phased @ Mar. 15 2013, 9:12 pm

>Think Naval ship, Or a computer it's just the same, the XO is a crucial component of the ship. Without it there wouldn't be a proper chanin of command. I guess im really getting at Riker was totally necesarry and i think he was an awesome commander.

>And an answer to the thing about being a XO for 15 yrs, Yeah it might have been a bad career move but it was a great descision on Riker's part. He had Captain Picard to learn from. So he was grooming him for the Captains chair in a way.

Riker was an awesome Commander when he was with Picard, under Captain Jellico he was insubordinate.

Greatness comes to those who really want to do anything to get it.

corndogs

Report this Mar. 16 2013, 12:10 pm

Riker was the eye candy for the female fans.

McTrekkin

Report this Mar. 20 2013, 9:15 am

Yep, he was needed and essential to the crew. When Picard was out of comission, like in Best of Both Worlds, Riker really stepped up and filled that void.

2takesfrakes

Report this Mar. 20 2013, 7:51 pm

Sora

Report this Mar. 21 2013, 9:40 am

Commander Riker's primary function was to pleasure the women who came on board!   He was indeed VERY needed!

christina.miracle

Report this Mar. 22 2013, 1:42 am

I personally didn't care much for Riker. I mean a ship needs a first officer so in that reguard he was needed. However I found Riker's character more of a grasp for soap opera drama type situations. I have nothing against the actor who played him but I do think that Riker's real use was kind of empty. I don't think I would have missed him if he had left. In fact, I remember thinking a couple times that I wish he would get out of the way. I also have to admit that several of the episodes where the actor became the director wasn't too bad either so in that reguard atleast there is some use for him.

Another issue I had is that Riker's personally was very stiff and boring really. He always stood oddly to me. Seemed out of place.

Capt.Pike

Report this Apr. 23 2013, 6:27 pm

Who else would miss every shoot he fired from a phaser.

CountJohn

Report this Apr. 24 2013, 2:25 pm

He was the XO. It's actually kind of unrealistic how SPock/T'Pol were depicted as being the First Officer, AND holding another job on the senior staff.

As a side note, saying that a certain role isn't important just because other characters could've fulfilled it doesn't really make sense. Sure, Riker or Data COULD'VE been captain, but that doesn't mean that Picard wasn't a vital character to the show.

miklamar

Report this Apr. 25 2013, 6:23 pm

Quote: Sehlat123 @ Mar. 12 2013, 4:16 pm

>If I remember right, the First Officer was in charge of the crew. He was expected to settle disputes, reprimand bad crew members, and keep everything running swoothly. If I'm right and that is his job, he is needed. Still, it's kind of odd that he, who wanted his own ship, spent 15 years as first officer, no matter how many ships they offered him.

I agree.  The First Officer handles so many administrative details, enabling the Captain to think about more important matters:  strategy and diplomacy.  He also coordinated the reports and activities of the various departments, such as Operations, Medical and Engineering.  Also, as has been said by others here, the XO often took the lead on away-teams and was available to act as Captain, should anything befall that top officer.

The XO spot is the ideal position in which to train future Captains: They get a lot of hands-on leadership experience.  Obviously, they kept Riker way too long as an XO, when he was more than qualified to become a ship's Captain, but that was a Hollywood factor; in real life, he would have been expected to accept a ship's command somewhere before then, or be reassigned elsewhere or demoted.

Fortunately, in the Titan series of books, Riker has finally been given his chance to lead his own ship, and I think he is becoming a better Captain than his mentor, Picard, who seems to be preparing for retirement.  (Picard is now more concerned about his family, and he would be an excellent professor!)