LeVar Burton on J.J. Abrams

3rdI

Report this Mar. 10 2013, 4:13 pm

Chk out his comments. From here.

The Sun notes LeVar Burton added "Sorry, you got me revved," with a laugh.

2takesfrakes

Report this Mar. 10 2013, 5:22 pm

"[B]uilding a holodeck ..."
well .. they might be CALLING it that,
but I suspect that a real holodeck can't exist
outside of the spaceship of the imagination ...

Treknoir

Report this Mar. 12 2013, 11:29 am

Love LeVar, but what one "hears" second hand may or may not be the truth. If Abrams said he wants his movies to be considered the best ST, then I can't fault him for the ambition. However, the "best" ST would be subjective anyway. If he said everything prior to ST09 was crap, then I'd be inclined to side with LeVar.

He'sDeadJim6400

Report this Mar. 12 2013, 4:00 pm

Quote: 3rdI @ Mar. 10 2013, 4:13 pm

>Chk out his comments. From here.

>http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/levar-burton-blasts-jj-abrams-and-quentin-tarantino-over-star-trek-and-django-unchained

>LeVar Burton, Geordi LaForge in Star Trek: The Next Generation, got a little fired up in a recent interviewin regards to both J.J. Abrams and Quentin Tarantino.

>Regarding J.J. Abrams, Burton told the Toronto Sun he didn't like what he was hearing about Abrams talking about how his Star Trek is the only Star Trek.

>(Abrams' Star Trek) was a great movie, and he brought a whole new generation to Trek. But I'm a little disquieted by things I hear coming out of his camp, things like he would like to be remembered as the only Trek - which would discount everything before he got there.

>There's 'breaking the canon,' which he did (by re-inventing Star Trek's timeline). But there's also honouring the canon. And to pretend to be the only one is really egocentric and immature.

>I just came from a conference in San Francisco with Advanced Micro Devices, and they're working on technology towards building a holodeck. That was Next Generation. And that's part of what Star Trek has brought to the culture. So when JJ Abrams says, There should be no Star Trek except the one I make,' I call bulls---, J.J.!

>The Sun notes LeVar Burton added "Sorry, you got me revved," with a laugh.

Don't worry, Levar, Abrams Trek couldn't hold a candle to TNG, even now, TNG inspired many, engineers, scientist and psychologist..6 years from now Abrams Trek will be forgotten.

Greatness comes to those who really want to do anything to get it.

fireproof78

Report this Mar. 12 2013, 10:16 pm

Quote: He'sDeadJim6400 @ Mar. 12 2013, 4:00 pm

Quote: 3rdI @ Mar. 10 2013, 4:13 pm

>Chk out his comments. From here.

>The Sun notes LeVar Burton added "Sorry, you got me revved," with a laugh.

Not forgotten by those it introduced to Trek.

Look, Abrams is an arrogant director, but that is hardly unique in Hollywood. Being arrogant is almost a virtue in that world. Just because a director doesn't want to acknowledge other work in the same world (Lucas does a similar thing) doesn't change the fact that there is other work out there. Abrams attitude doesn't diminish other Trek works, except in his own mind.

Abrams Trek also inspired this psychology student to study families more

Carlotheeus

Report this Mar. 13 2013, 7:12 am

Although I think JJ's comments are childish and immature, I've seen first hand how his movie (2009) has introduced ST to a new generation. I was laughed at, mocked and ridiculed for watching Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise) by my family and friends, I now find myself watching all episodes of all seasons of all series' with my family and some friends. The most common complaint was about the "lack" of action / fighting sequences like JJ's movie. I explained to them that this was the difference between the real ST and "JJ's" ST. I also compared ST 2009 to the Transformers trilogy: all that action, fighting and explosions but who cares about it anymore?

P' Tak!

He'sDeadJim6400

Report this Mar. 13 2013, 9:40 am

Quote: fireproof78 @ Mar. 12 2013, 10:16 pm

Quote: He'sDeadJim6400 @ Mar. 12 2013, 4:00 pm

Quote: 3rdI @ Mar. 10 2013, 4:13 pm

>Chk out his comments. From here.

>The Sun notes LeVar Burton added "Sorry, you got me revved," with a laugh.

Not forgotten by those it introduced to Trek.

Abrams Trek also inspired this psychology student to study families more

Greatness comes to those who really want to do anything to get it.

fireproof78

Report this Mar. 13 2013, 12:42 pm

Quote: He'sDeadJim6400 @ Mar. 13 2013, 9:40 am

>I'm glad you found some inspiration in Abrams Trek, all it gave me was a headache..Abrams said many times the other Treks mean nothing to him, maybe thats why his Trek came off as stupid to alot of us, because he didn't  tie in other Trek series to his movie, yes this movie did bring in alot of people to Star Trek, but it also lost alot.

How did it lose anything? The series before his movie still exist and they will even after Abrams is done.

Perhaps it would have been better if he had done a cold reboot like Battlestar Galactica rather than a new timeline. That might have worked a little better.

Here's my thing. Yes, Abrams' style is more popcorn movie than some of the original movies (I would argue Insurrection and Nemesis also fit this bill). But, it is a multilayer movie that if the brain is left on can be appreciated all the more.

Here are some things that are nods to other Trek shows that happened in Trek 09:

-The Stardock design is based around Franz' Josephs design in the Starfleet technical manual. There is even some discussion that the Kelvin is a Saladin class variant from the same book.

-Kirk's attempt to get an emotional reaction out of Spock is similar to "This Side of Paradise"

-Some of the Admirals at Kirk's hearing include TOS admirals like Komack and Chandra.

-The tension between Spock and Sarek when Spock decides not to the join the Academy.

There is more but it is all personal preference. I get that some may not like the movie, or Abrams, but that doesn't make the film bad or bad "TreK'

fireproof78

Report this Mar. 13 2013, 6:38 pm

I would like to add a quick note to my post: Do you know who else was arrogant regarding HIS version of Star Trek? Roddenberry. Writers on the first season of TNG quit because they simply could not meet the demands and restrictions that Roddenberry wanted.

A great example of this is the episode "The Bonding" in which new writer Ron Moore purchased a script from a writer and proposed it to the producers. Roddenberry shot it down because he said that the way humans behaved in that story, mourning for a loved one, was not the way people were in the future.

To get a better idea of what I mean listen to SFDebris review of the episode

Of course, its Roddenberry's show so he can decide it, right? Notice that when Roddenberry had less say in the actual story development, Trek became more successful. Wrath of Khan was a huge success but written and directed by an outsider. TNG became more successful in Season 3 when Roddenberry was not producing.

Abrams isn't the only one with myopic vision

wissa

Report this Mar. 18 2013, 11:02 am

didn't the holodeck first appear in tas? seems like jj isn't the only one ignoring canon

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

leroybrock

Report this Mar. 18 2013, 2:50 pm

By speaking in the manner that he did Burton made sure that he'll be keeping Abrams company in the ranks of the childish and immature.

I Am Ultra Narcissus.