Star Trek and Faith/Gods

deiradinn

Report this Feb. 03 2013, 11:21 pm

I came to Star Trek, knowing it was void of religious vision and main reason I started to watch, but the episode I just watched has raised my defenses, sort of speak. The episode was 'Who Mourns for Adonais' and the quote came from CPT. Kirk.  "Mankind has no need for gods. We find the one quite adequate." I had to skip back and hear it again.

I huff'd, and said "what", surely CPT Kirk does not mean he believes in the Christian God or at least finds comfort in just that one. It kinda has me bent, and I know it shouldn't but I have an extremely low tolerance for things like that. Hopefully one of his last statement in the episode, "We've out grown you. You asked for something we could no longer give.", carries forward and the idea of 'one god' is stomped out. If this is a vision of the future of society, the idea of any gods/religions still being prominent is absurd.

Also, please no spoilers. Just reached the early parts of season 2 and my question could be answered in later episodes and this could be all for not, but still, voiced concern. I'm a true follower for Science and yeah, I guess somewhat impatient with religious fallacies. If I offended anyone religious, I can't be sorry because that would not be... logical.

Gawain_VIII

Report this Feb. 04 2013, 8:59 am

While it is known that Rodenberry was an unapologetic Humanist and he managed to sneak in many anti-religion episodes in the TOS and early TNG, there were just as many pro-faith messages.  It must also be rememberd the era in which these shows were produced.  While GR was vehimently oposed to organized religion (and some say was a staunch atheist), I think there was enough evidence to suggest that he at least accepted (if not supported) faith and spirituality as long as it fell outside the realm of organized, indoctrinated religions.

ROBERT CHARLES GRAHAM, Vice Admiral
U.S.S Gawain NCC-91980
Commanding Officer, Frontier Fleet
sto-frontier-fleet.proboards.com

Swidden

Report this Feb. 05 2013, 3:50 pm

In that same episode ("Who Mourns for Adonis") a conversation between Kirk and McCoy alludes to the possibility that Scotty might be an atheist. Kind of a shocking statement, even a vague one, for 1967 TV.

Daniel.Brensinger

Report this Feb. 05 2013, 7:36 pm

"If I offended anyone religious, I can't be sorry because that would not be... logical. "  Yes, and as 'Vulcans' we must always be logical... right?  So it could only be right to offend 95% of the Earth's indigenous population.

There, of course, could no possibility that one of them might be correct.

Treknoir

Report this Feb. 09 2013, 2:41 pm

1) It is not logical to care about the religious or non-religious beliefs of fictional characters.

2) There is no such thing as being a follower of science. You are an atheist and have no belief in the supernatural. Science is organized knowledge of the physical universe as observed and tested. It explains the physical and allows mankind to make predictions. It can tell you how something happens but not why (there is a difference   between describing what we observe and knowing why it exists). Science deals with facts and is completely amoral about how we apply those facts. Saying you're a follower of science is akin to you following an instruction manual. You'll know what you're building and what it should look like when built, but why you're building it, if you should build it, and what to do with it once it's built will never be answered.

Not trying to pick with you but it's a peeve of mines when folks misuse or miscontrue the purpose of science. Here's a legitimate link to Berkeley that provides a better explanation: http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/0_0_0/whatisscience_12

Treknoir

Report this Feb. 09 2013, 2:56 pm

[quote]

There, of course, could no possibility that one of them might be correct.

[/quote]

It's also funny because Vulcans are the last species to use as an example of non-religion. Vulcan, illogical rituals are shown throughout the various series and movies and in TSFS Vulcan mysticism is directly referenced.

"Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end." Spock, STVI