When did the NX-01 have plasma cannons?

Invader_Wishfire

Report this Jan. 12 2013, 9:41 pm

According to the Trek Trivia to the right of the boards, the NX-01 initially was equipped with plasma cannons. Perhaps my memory is off, but I recall Trip and Reed installing a pair of phase cannons in weapons ports that had never had anything installed in them. Before that, all they had was spatial torpedoes.

So when did they have plasma cannons? Or is the trivia wrong, as I suspect?

photo spok_zps253ab564.gif

Lone Palm

Report this Jan. 13 2013, 8:17 am

dreem24

Report this Jan. 13 2013, 9:09 am

That ship's weaponry was afwul  on orpedos and two lasers yeah right...

Mitchz95

Report this Jan. 13 2013, 9:33 am

The plasma cannons were used in "Broken Bow".

Sehlat123

Report this Jan. 13 2013, 8:20 pm

Quote: dreem24 @ Jan. 13 2013, 9:09 am

>That ship's weaponry was awful  on torpedos and two lasers yeah right...

Sure they weren't as good as the other series' ships, but they were the 100 years earlier! They had two plasma cannons, which were awful, and that's why they upgraded them in Silent Enemy. Their torpedos were not very good either. Luckily, there were photon torpedos to save the day!

"Borg. Sounds Swedish."

dreem24

Report this Jan. 14 2013, 10:36 am

What about nukes, bm-21 grad and various other weapons of today... In enterprise there were no bullets they were like some sort of pulses(macoo's hand guns" and that mean every other bullets,rockets,charges are advanced as well and the first deep space cruiser has only two fucked up lasers and two old torpedos???

Mitchz95

Report this Jan. 14 2013, 12:49 pm

Quote: dreem24 @ Jan. 14 2013, 10:36 am

>conclusion: All true men of today are killed during ww3 and what's left are pussy hence why no military on earth

Poetic justice. Those who wage war will inevitably die of it.

I know I shouldn't be feeding the troll, but it's just too much fun.

Sehlat123

Report this Jan. 14 2013, 1:13 pm

Quote: dreem24 @ Jan. 14 2013, 10:36 am

>I mean this show was supposed to be closer to today's generation and you're telling me that two fucked lasers and two torpedos are the only thing that we have as weapons today???

I'm pretty sure:

Bullets are not as strong as pulses. Phaser cannons were way more effective than anything else, and that's why they changed to them. But plasma cannons were still more powerful than bullets.  Nukes were about as strong as their origonal torpedos. Remember Spock said that the romulan war was waged with "nuclear warheads?" I think those may have been nuclear warheads...  Oh, wait, you don't watch star trek!

Anyway, all real men died? So you define real men as people who kill people because they can? Wait, weren't you the one who said that everyone kills eachother were you come from?

"Borg. Sounds Swedish."

brian.beard

Report this Jan. 15 2013, 7:28 pm

I agree that the hand weapons on the show should have been projectile based weapons. Perhaps have a very early version of the lasers seen in "The Cage"

But as far as ship to ship weapons go, current Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicles are simply a chunk of dense metal, or a fragmentation warhead. The spacial torpedos appear to be a High Explosive warhead, sonehting that would not be appropriate in my opinion. I would think a shaped charge, similar to a HEAT round would be used. I think the producers (B&B) were just not up on modern weapons. If they had been we might have seen this load out:

No energy based weapons

4 250mm cannons (basically upsized M68A1 using mag-lev tech instead of chemical propellant) 2 fwd/2 aft firing APDS rounds.

3 torpedo launchers  2fwd/2 aft spacial type firing HEAT and APDS warhead options.

Pedantic right?

Invader_Wishfire

Report this Jan. 18 2013, 1:41 pm

photo spok_zps253ab564.gif

Mitchz95

Report this Jan. 18 2013, 1:43 pm

Quote: Invader_Wishfire @ Jan. 18 2013, 1:41 pm

>" Jan. 13 2013, 8:17 amEnterprise left spaceport with the plasma cannons, which were used from "Broken Bow" through "Silent Enemy" when they ugraded." I don't remember that at all. All I remember is spatial torpedoes. I guess it's been a while since I watched the series. Thanks.

Here's a picture from "Broken Bow":

Sehlat123

Report this Jan. 18 2013, 8:30 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>SPEIM!

I dissagree.

Anyway, I always wondered about the plasma cannons. They didn't seem like they would be effective. Isn't plasma just a kind of acid? If it fires burning plasma, it seems like it would burn a hull slightly, but not do anything to harm it.

"Borg. Sounds Swedish."