ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Star Trek: The motion Picture = The Borg?

ofvulcansandandroids

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3

Report this Jan. 03 2013, 5:48 pm

I have not yet become a pro and do not yet know everything there is to know about Star Trek. But I had just finished Next Generation and was watching the Major Motion Picture when it came to me: Is V'ger responsible for the creation of the Borg?  Part machine, part human. It seems like a posssibility. What do you think?

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Jan. 03 2013, 8:54 pm

No. It's been speculated about, but when you really break it down, it just isn't so. 

Holberg

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1047

Report this Jan. 04 2013, 6:43 pm

Sorry no go!


 The Borg are older by far than V'Ger. 


I forget were I heard it, maybe Q said it.


 Has anyone heard the same? 

vulcan lady

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 5347

Report this Jan. 04 2013, 7:17 pm

 


The Borg were already in existence in the year 1484 (Earth's 15th century).  


V'Ger (Voyager) was created during Earth's 20th century and traveled after that into space to the machine planet.  V'ger did not join with humans until the 23rd century.


V'Ger was not around in the 15th century when the Borg were already in esistence and therefore could not have created the Borg.

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4026

Report this Jan. 05 2013, 7:57 am

oh come on.  Star Trek is riddled with time travel.  V'ger could have gone through some wormhole or whipped around some sun and gone back in time.

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Jan. 05 2013, 8:37 am

Quote: wissa @ Jan. 05 2013, 7:57 am

>

>oh come on.  Star Trek is riddled with time travel.  V'ger could have gone through some wormhole or whipped around some sun and gone back in time.

>


 


Well, when you look at it that way, I suppose ANYTHING is possible. I mean, for all we know, Samuel T Cogley could be responsible for the Borg. It is possible. 


That said, I agree with others. The liklihood, especially given the evidence presented, is highly unlikely that V'Ger had anything to do with the creation of the Borg. 


I also have never really liked the idea. To me, V'Ger is a vast, almost incomprehensible intelligence that now functions on a completely non-physical plane of existance. 


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Fleet Admiral Braxton

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 288

Report this Jan. 05 2013, 3:28 pm

The Borg Coud Have Found V'Ger, And Upgraded it! This Is All Fiction,Folks,So Anything Is possible!

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Jan. 05 2013, 6:44 pm

Quote: Fleet Admiral Braxton @ Jan. 05 2013, 3:28 pm

>

>The Borg Coud Have Found V'Ger, And Upgraded it! This Is All Fiction,Folks,So Anything Is possible!

>


That was my point earlier, though. Based on that same logic, Samuel T. Cogley could be responsible for the Borg. Hey, it's fiction...anything's possible. 


 



I AM KEE-ROCK!!

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4026

Report this Jan. 05 2013, 8:18 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Jan. 05 2013, 8:37 am

Quote: wissa @ Jan. 05 2013, 7:57 am

>

>

>oh come on.  Star Trek is riddled with time travel.  V'ger could have gone through some wormhole or whipped around some sun and gone back in time.

>

 

Well, when you look at it that way, I suppose ANYTHING is possible. I mean, for all we know, Samuel T Cogley could be responsible for the Borg. It is possible. 

That said, I agree with others. The liklihood, especially given the evidence presented, is highly unlikely that V'Ger had anything to do with the creation of the Borg. 

I also have never really liked the idea. To me, V'Ger is a vast, almost incomprehensible intelligence that now functions on a completely non-physical plane of existance. 


to me it would be better if we forgot that whole movie ever happened. 


We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

akebono62

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 19767

Report this Jan. 06 2013, 10:51 am

Didn't one of Shatner's Trek novels posit that theory? Of course, maybe the Borg and V'ger crossed paths and the Borg could not assimilate V'ger.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46314

Report this Jan. 06 2013, 1:20 pm

Quote: akebono62 @ Jan. 06 2013, 10:51 am

>

>Didn't one of Shatner's Trek novels posit that theory? Of course, maybe the Borg and V'ger crossed paths and the Borg could not assimilate V'ger.

>
Yea... I can't remember which book talked about this, but it was talked about that the Borg found V'Ger and built the platform and gave it the capabilities.  I would think that since the Borg weren't that powerful, V'Ger then went somewhere else and got more capabilities.

UninvitedGuest

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 180

Report this Jan. 06 2013, 3:25 pm

That whole energy cloud concept just wasn't the Borg's style among other things.

Son of Kahless

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7

Report this Jan. 06 2013, 7:05 pm

I am sorry but I don't think so... I just don't think it could work. But it still is a great idea! This is we're I first encountered it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anMOQ3vTy9k

The Last Enterprise

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 42

Report this Jan. 07 2013, 1:35 am

Well, but it might be something that the Borg get to know about the Federation. The Borg might have altered the Voyager VI and changed it into a scout ship. And it might refers to the beginning of the relationships between people and machines or half-people-half-machine in Star Trek. 


Bless the Enterprise

WkdYngMan

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3951

Report this Jan. 07 2013, 1:42 am

Quote: akebono62 @ Jan. 06 2013, 10:51 am

>

>Didn't one of Shatner's Trek novels posit that theory? Of course, maybe the Borg and V'ger crossed paths and the Borg could not assimilate V'ger.

>


I think "The Return" did.

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum