The TNG Blu Ray Is Horrible! Do Not Buy It!

Cassius101

Report this Jan. 03 2013, 4:38 pm

Vger23

Report this Jan. 03 2013, 8:48 pm

This is an idiotic complaint.

Tng wasn't framed for 16:9 presentation. Television didn't start protecting for 16:9 until the mid 90s. There simply is no existing 16:9 footage that is usable. So, you can either crop the top and bottom, losing visual information just to satisfy the need to fill your screen, or, you can get the 16:9 from the original film negatives, complete with cameras, ladders, and scruffy union crew members visible.

The TNG blu ray is absolutely gorgeous. The colors are vibrant, the detail makes it look like a new series, and the reworked visual effects are fantastic.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Vger23

Report this Jan. 03 2013, 8:52 pm

Is this really what you want to see?

Why don't you just adjust the output of you HDTV to present a stretched or anamorphic fill if it's that important to you?

Sora

Report this Jan. 12 2013, 10:18 pm

Yeah I gotta go with Vger on this one. Enterprise was the only series filmed in widescreen, and that's because it was made in 2001, which is when tv shows first started being made in widescreen. Most people still didn't even have widescreen tv's until several years after that.

It really wasn't the norm for shows to be in a 16:9 format until 2004 or 2005 or so.

Whereas now everything is made in widescreen, same as virtually everyone has an HD Widescreen tv, as that is the only thing made now.

There's no reason to change TNG, same as there was no reason to change TOS. If they put TNG in widescreen it would have just really made a mess.

I'm glad they cleaned up the footage and really got everything looking sharp, I think it looks fantastic. But we can't change that TNG was late 80's and early 90's, everything back then was 4:3. Just how it was.

holywarriortim

Report this Jan. 17 2013, 8:20 am

Speaking of the blu ray discs, has anyone received their replacement discs for the audio issues?  If so, how long did it take you to get them once you reported that you had defective discs?  I called yesterday and was told that mine were shipped December 24th...24 days ago today, and I still haven't received mine.  Where were these replacements shipped from? China?

K_tigress

Report this Jan. 18 2013, 8:35 pm

If you purchased them from here then you may have a problem. I have heard of many people complain of dissatisfactory service  of dealings with the store. Kind of a shame since they have a lot of cool stuff. Then I don’t know since I never purchased any thing from this place yet.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. -Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

UninvitedGuest

Report this Jan. 21 2013, 5:04 pm

You can use the HDTVs "zoom" feature to remove the black bars although I don't recommend it since it cuts off a little of the picture.

stunned4life

Report this Jan. 25 2013, 1:03 pm

I heard that season 2 is not as well done as the 1st. Anyone compare?

Khaaan!!!!

Report this Jan. 25 2013, 4:26 pm

I have only watched the sampler blu ray, and I loved it.  my thing is, if i am going to go to the expense of repurchasing the series (i own the dvds), I want them in digital format. Its just that if i get them on average at 50.00 a season, I dont want to buy them ever again. I love blu ray as a format. I just dont think its going to have the life that vhs and dvd did. I have several movies in blu ray, but on expensive sets I would like to be able to buy them in itunes hd or amazon hd formats. the res is a touch lower but to me a worthy trade off. Sadly, TNG has never been available to purchase anywhere digitally. (you can watch the non remastered ones on netflix and amazon) but other than TAS everything else is available.

"Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

Sehlat123

Report this Jan. 25 2013, 5:34 pm

Quote: Cassius101 @ Jan. 03 2013, 4:38 pm

> The blue ray is in 4:3, that means constant black bars, they are also vertical black bars which makes it worse. I am playing it on PS3 though, wasn't able to find any display option to make it wider, maybe on a blu ray player there would be some options to widen the screen to remove it. Also, if you played it on some computer media player on a blu ray drive then maybe you could crop it to 16:9.

It's your player, not the DVD. As people said, it was not filmed in widescreen, so it won't play in widescreen. How is it horrible? If it's your player, why shouldn't WE buy it?

BTW, TOS remastered is the same way.

"Borg. Sounds Swedish."